Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, and potentially miss top 4 because of it?

Wowee.
I think you guys will be top 4 regardless. Obviously you would want to win every game including finals and GF but do you think losing a game in the next few weeks might not be a bad thing or do you think just contine to ride the wave ?

I think you guys will be top 4 regardless. Obviously you would want to win every game including finals and GF but do you think losing a game in the next few weeks might not be a bad thing or do you think just contine to ride the wave ?
It's tricky. The next game against Sydney has massive top 4 implications (chiefly home final type implications) and we never want to lose against the Blues

It's tricky. The next game against Sydney has massive top 4 implications (chiefly home final type implications) and we never want to lose against the Blues
As long as Geelong and Melbourne finish top 2 you get home finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees are learning what teams that won multiple flags already learnt the hard way, and those teams that COULDN'T win a follow up flag know even more painfully - the next one aint easy or automatic. No guarantees. The hordes are coming for you. They've been watching you, and have sussed you out. Can you handle it or not? The question will will soon be answered.

I personally think the Dees are still up to their eyebrows in it, but now there are 3 SERIOUS contenders, Pies have to be included now to the Cats Swans shortlist. But without a functional forward line, their chances drop.

I'll put my money down on the mentally strongest least edgy team winning the flag. That'd be Cats or Pies. Dees look anxious, anxiety causes flaccidity. Swans will be edgy about playing in Melbourne. The other two teams look in control and calm.

I'm not sure why Melbourne would. Their run home is near-identical to ours, and they are 4 points behind us.
I mean in the event you drop a game.

I'm not saying you will but if it happens there's a fail safe.

Regardless, the game last night was what Friday night footy should be about.

Over 70k in the crowd, and both teams put on a great spectacle.

Fast, tough footy which flowed with scoring and settled in the last minute of the game.

AFL and footy fans couldn’t ask for much more than that.
Loved it. Goal for goal, close game between 2nd v 3rd, was actually a bit disappointed there weren't more fans there.

Plenty of red in the stands but the difference between the sounds from both supporters was very noticeable.

Great game to be at.

Why did Ed Langdon say the Pies were all duck and no dinner? Very arrogant.

Also fairly ironic given how one dimensional and robotic the Dees are.

Last edited:
It’s done. For this year at least. 4-6 in the last 10. 1-4 in the last 5 at the G is not Premiership form. In all our losses bar Geelong we’ve got out to handsome leads of 4 or 5 goals and then let the other side back in. Good sides get results even when they aren’t playing well. Mediocre sides blow leads when they are playing well. Since Round 10 we are a borderline bottom 6 side, it’s possible that we win the last 2 and hit September with a bit of form and nick the flag. However, wishful thinking aside, we’re looking more like Hawthorn 2016 or West Coast 2019 than a back to back side. The way we’re playing is more reminiscent of Melbourne 2017-20 than the 21 edition.

Melbourne had way more of the footy & dominated in the midfield.

Just shows you that stats & numbers that the Dees players rack up don't win you games of footy.

It’s done. For this year at least. 4-6 in the last 10. 1-4 in the last 5 at the G is not Premiership form. In all our losses bar Geelong we’ve got out to handsome leads of 4 or 5 goals and then let the other side back in. Good sides get results even when they aren’t playing well. Mediocre sides blow leads when they are playing well. Since Round 10 we are a borderline bottom 6 side, it’s possible that we win the last 2 and hit September with a bit of form and nick the flag. However, wishful thinking aside, we’re looking more like Hawthorn 2016 or West Coast 2019 than a back to back side. The way we’re playing is more reminiscent of Melbourne 2017-20 than the 21 edition.
Think this was the year the Dees needed to have to improve again.

A lot of things went against them - some self-created - but they haven’t had that ridiculous self-belief they had in 2021 and have been complacent when the heat has been on this year.

Not sure if that’s partly having an easier draw to start the year and keeping sides at arms length for huge stretches of games and then having a big downturn in form mid-season and some cultural issues which probably hasn’t helped their cause. Since the May incident they’ve been pretty poor on field.

Still have the nucleus to win another flag or two, but they need to find a way to either bring in another key forward or develop another tall to partner Brown. Maybe Van Rooyen can step in and be a genuine target in the next couple of years. Weideman probably won’t ever be a consistent best 22 player and maybe needs to find another role?

The ongoing situation with Jackson has been a distraction too.

The Dees have shown they’ve got enough talent to perform when it counts. They just need to tinker with their gameplan and add some more offensive layers and/or re-jig their forwardline so they aren’t as reliant on their mids pushing up and producing goals when the crunch is on.

Also just sensed a general lack of humility in some of the communication coming out at times. Gawn’s presser following the May incident was very smug and self-serving, Langdon’s comment earlier in the week was very dumb and gave the Pies further incentive to win. They need to tidy this up because outwardly they’ve come across as pretty arrogant and put an even bigger target on their backs.

Think I’ve also seen a change in May’s demeanour since the incident with Melksham and hasn’t had the same command of the backline he had in 2021. When he’s confident and ordering players around him the squad seems to lift.

Still in the 4 and have played decent footy over the past couple of weeks, they just need to desperately find another gear and put a couple of poor months behind them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back