Autopsy 2022 Round 21 - GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, 2.10 pm Saturday 6 August @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort.

Should not have needed a thumping from Swans and a spray from the coach to get it though.
Essendon are not a good team. It's about par for the course for our year.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Remarkable how Perryman is all of a sudden just a really good and balanced inside mid after never playing the position at the AFL level

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
liked his game today. was noticing he did a hell of a lot off the ball. a couple of 100m length of the field leads etc.
He obviously still has some fragility with his body, but he's only missed 4 games this year, and is marking & kicking goals at around the stats that he had at Melbourne. Despite being noted for his potential as a junior, in his best year to date he's only kicked 47 goals, so we need to be measured in our expectations of what his "best" actually is. He has great hands in a contest, and I think has roamed up the ground quite well this year. If he can get down to missing just 2 games per year (midway of the draw before & after the bye) and kicking around that 2 goals per game, then that's a decent return.

He'll be 28 next campaign, with his body we might only get 5 years more out of him, but that would be a good block of time to develop another KPF alongside him - which you'd hope would be a priority for this draft. Cadman or Jefferson along side him as a dual tall forward line, plus Toby, would be a decent threat in around 3 years time. Plus if we can get another small/medium forward (such as Jacob Konstanty). And there's still Conor Stone who can develop into a goal-kicking HFF hopefully.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Remarkable how Perryman is all of a sudden just a really good and balanced inside mid after never playing the position at the AFL level
I assume you're referencing that he was an inside mid as a junior?

If Hopper and/or Taranto do leave, then I do agree with others who have said that Pez moving into that slow inside mid role seems fine, allowing us to draft a "replacement" player who has different skills - hopefully someone with stronger running or agility skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Autopsy

mau5trap

Rookie
Jul 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Best we’ve played all year think we all needed that after the last month.

Some thoughts:
-Loved Briggs’ role today, brought the ball down to ground well and seemed to have some sort of a presence down there, shame he’s probably gone at the end of the year.
-Whitfields best game of the year by far and hopefully it silences the critics for the rest of the year.
-Haynes was better and hopefully is slowly getting confidence back.
-Great early signs from Aleer, loved his attack on it.
-Glad we tagged Merrett, is the one player in that midfield that can seriously damage you and finally/surprisingly it was us that had the common sense to do it.
-Hope we can get a few more games from Hogan next year, would be great to see him fully fit through the majority of a season although not sure that’s possible anymore.

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Was concerned when the Bombers kicked the first 2 in the 3rd quarter and thought, "here we go again."

Still think Whitfield is a greater asset than Kelly if the club decides to move on one of the 4 'millionaires' (Coniglio and Greene stay).

Riccardi is very disappointing. Taranto wasn't missed. Haynes had a better game. Hogan had a blinder.

Not convinced on Briggs' future. Preuss took some excellent marks and worked hard across the ground - albeit slowly.

The umpiring?? Gee whizz it was inconsistent. Bombers got up to +10 differential which just seemed undeserved judging by what was missed.

Was concerned when the Bombers kicked the first 2 in the 3rd quarter and thought, "here we go again."
Got three goals up in the first, Bombers kicked the last three.

Got three goals up in the second, Bombers kicked four of the last five in the quarter.

Bombers kicked the first two in the third - it was so much like every previous collapse after half time that I just about gave up there and then. I would've given you any odds you want that we wouldn't kick the next SEVEN.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Pez had a good game, with his run with role on Zach Merrett. Merrett's had a great season, averaging 30 disposals, with just one other game less than 20 disposals. Quelling Merrett helped us win the midfield battle.

Sam Taylor had another strong game, keeping Wright to two goals. 1 from a free and one from a ball marked at his feet. Intercepted well, as usual.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Just returned from the after-game members event. A nice way to round out the final game at Giants stadium.
The missus got her cuddle and photo with HH so she was happy. No Ward or Toby, but a chunk of the list was there.
The other boys were very nice and happy to talk - The backline guys in particular, Taylor, Idun, Keeffe, Buckley, Aleer and Hamilton.
I chatted with Haynes and told him it was his best game for the year, he chuckled and said "About time I had a good one".
Cogs surprised me that he seemed interested in my opinions, gave me a bit of time and was humble and appreciative.

Agree in general with the comments made above.
Quite a few Bombers supporters around and they were very confident pre-game.
I loved the early rough stuff from the team and bad blood. I think it rattled Stringer. Redmond was a pest.
It was fun when the members were giving it to the umpires. It had feral-like snarl that we don't often generate.
I like to think it helped correct their calls in the 2nd half.
Bearing in mind we played well against another bottom side, there was effort and structure missing for most of the year.
The 2nd half fade never happened - even after the Dons kicked ahead early in the 3rd.
In my opinion, Hogan was slightly more influential than Whitfield, but it was a close thing.
Lots of good contributors and they responded well when challenged.
Not getting carried away, but it's a solid enough response to the shambles of last week.

Last edited:

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Bit of an old school game from Kelly today playing exclusively outside and thought he looked really good, still think I want him in our midfield rotation but worked well today. Hopper hasn't blown me away with his performances coming back from his knee injury so far, was his best game today since returning but still not sure long term with the mystery around his knee. Might end up looking great with a full pre-season but still feel unsure about it.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Bit of an old school game from Kelly today playing exclusively outside and thought he looked really good, still think I want him in our midfield rotation but worked well today. Hopper hasn't blown me away with his performances coming back from his knee injury so far, was his best game today since returning but still not sure long term with the mystery around his knee. Might end up looking great with a full pre-season but still feel unsure about it.
Yes, I noted Kelly's game being more outside today. Cogs also seemed to be a handpass off the contest quite a bit, leaving the grunt work to Hopper, Perryman & Green, although Cogs' defensive work was good. That was a fairly usual Hopper game - in the contest (team high CP stats) and lots of clearances (game high), but disposal efficiency down due to mostly working in the hot zone. Despite Pez playing a negating role on Zerrett, he still got a lot of his own ball, being second for GWS in clearances but better disposal efficiency.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, I noted Kelly's game being more outside today. Cogs also seemed to be a handpass off the contest quite a bit, leaving the grunt work to Hopper, Perryman & Green, although Cogs' defensive work was good. That was a fairly usual Hopper game - in the contest (team high CP stats) and lots of clearances (game high), but disposal efficiency down due to mostly working in the hot zone. Despite Pez playing a negating role on Zerrett, he still got a lot of his own ball, being second for GWS in clearances but better disposal efficiency.
Yeah that was a super impressive game from Perryman to be able to hold Zerrett to not a heap of influence while get plenty of it himself and still be really damaging, really excited for him next season if we continue to see him used on ball.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Mate, Perryman is a GUN! There is a reason Leon Cameron always loved the man. Does everything so well. Is composed, balanced, never wastes the ball and always gives 100%. He is our next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back