AFL Autopsy RND 21: Stomped on by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t watch the game but I reckon we are better without parish in terms of midfield balance
He laid all our tackles and won all our clearances.

Our midfield would look better if Merrett didn't sook it up every time he cops a tag and can't run around getting cheapies all day. 1 tackle, 0 intensity.

Last edited:

The irony of fans wanting us to just blood all the kids, but drop Jones , is incredibly rich.
Not to mention Perkins (10 touches as a mid/fwd with 2 tackles) seems to be getting a free pass.

Harry was abysmal today, but he needs games under his belt and if we are just going to blood kids as the goal, he needs to play.

Snelling, Hind (thought he should have been dropped last week) and Stewart should absolutely be in the gun for D'Ambrosio, Menzie and Voss for mine.

Will say this. You have to have players with half a brain before you can make too many coaching moves.
Footy smarts / IQ is not a strong point within our playing group.

The irony of fans wanting us to just blood all the kids, but drop Jones , is incredibly rich.
Not to mention Perkins (10 touches as a mid/fwd with 2 tackles) seems to be getting a free pass.

Harry was abysmal today, but he needs games under his belt and if we are just going to blood kids as the goal, he needs to play.

Snelling, Hind (thought he should have been dropped last week) and Stewart should absolutely be in the gun for D'Ambrosio, Menzie and Voss for mine.
Menzie did no where near enough today in the VFL.

That's not really irony, more just an understanding that its not a binary system.
I think we should be getting games into kids across the ground. I also think it's completely acceptable to state that a game like Jones' today is unacceptable, even for a young player, and it's ok for him to go down for a week, especially if he's being replaced by another young player.
If we drop him for Smith, yeah that's s**t. If we drop him for a small forward, explain our expectations for him and then call him up if he shows he's got the message? No worries.

Menzie did no where near enough today in the VFL.
I didn't watch it, and so I will trust your judgement on that.

I guess my theory is he is on a 6 month contract and so if we are going to make a call on his for next year I would prefer it to be on more than a quarter and a bit at AFL level.
We only have two games left (unless we have made the call already).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This coming match against Port is the beat chance to Drop and select players on form. Not on potential, not on reputation, not on previous Best and Fairest polling just form. You have to establish some standards. Players out of form stood out today like dogs balls.

in - Giants coaching box and passion for the Essendon Guernsey and a hatred of losing
Out - anyone with a mediocrity / losing is ok mindset (Campbell, Brasher, Truck….?)

That's not really irony, more just an understanding that its not a binary system.
I think we should be getting games into kids across the ground. I also think it's completely acceptable to state that a game like Jones' today is unacceptable, even for a young player, and it's ok for him to go down for a week, especially if he's being replaced by another young player.
If we drop him for Smith, yeah that's s**t. If we drop him for a small forward, explain our expectations for him and then call him up if he shows he's got the message? No worries.
All fair enough points, but whilst Harry had a shocker (no arguments there), he has kicked 5 goals in the last 3 weeks as a developing KPF playing essentially as the 3rd target.

Today was bad, but in the context of his month it is a (horrendous) outlier. I dont really see the point of dropping him for the last two games as opposed to teaching him how to work through a shocker like that the next week.

Also none of our forwards were really helped by how the mids played today, Durham aside (notwithstanding they didn't do much when they did get near it either).

but in reality we had nothing to play for
thats the problem with club, there isn’t enough pride in players individual performances or the team, it’s hard to understand when you aren’t prepared to give an inch in a Saturday scratch match basketball game let alone a game of footy. I’ve been a big fan of Guelfi since day one cos this is a bloke who doesn’t lower his colors and scraps for everything to win

Got nothing from our captain today, Heppel is done! Lack of leadership on the ground was telling. Little response to the Giants aggressive tactics. Really seemed rudderless out there today.

Today’s the death knell for Rutten. If we haven’t been laying out the red carpet for Clarko we’re derelict in our duties as a club (nothing new).

How we can let a 5 win rabble club, beat us with relative ease is a disgrace.

* Rutten off now you spineless clowns & Campbell can go with him! ONE tackle i50 against a mob who haven’t given a * for 3 months!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back