Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn has Dylan Moore who’s probably the best of all 3 teams (also a little midfield lately), Sam Butler, Tyler Brockman & Connor MacDonald (however he will turn into a midfielder).

We need to focus on mids and small/medium forwards aswell, we have a few and Crows have a couple (well they will with Rankine & Rachele) however still need it, they will likely need another kpf to stand up with Fogarty (third tall) & Thilthorpe (youth). Height over the ground because Adelaide seem very one paced overall and not tall enough. That includes dynamic and taller midfielders, which sucks that you’d be trading your first this year where you could’ve snapped up Mattaes Phillipou who is a talented 192cm mid-fwd, SA boy and a jet.
Yeah I forgot about Moore. He’s good.
But Mcdonald is more of a mid?
The games I saw of Brockman last year he looked pretty bad.

I think Pedlar and Cook may end up playing mid/forward and wing/forward respectively.

The top end of our forward line will be pretty good, and most teams have sone role players.

I’d like Phillipou but the trade hasn’t happened yet so there are still ways of keeping a first this

LOL What? Rachelle will be an absolute star, and it's looking very likely he'll be partnered with Rankine now.
That will be the best small forward combo in the AFL.
Yeah but small forward depth is just as important, but also just overall height over the field, lockdown small defender, ruck (ROB is solid) and mids (dynamic) but also just different types, contested ball winners you have, need ball users/class and height.

I think Pedlar and Cook may end up playing mid/forward and wing/forward respectively.

The top end of our forward line will be pretty good, and most teams have sone role players.

I’d like Phillipou but the trade hasn’t happened yet so there are still ways of keeping a first this
MacDonald has played HF most of this year but he’ll probably be a mid-fwd, he’s a classy player and was a mid-fwd ball winner at u18 level, very good at it I might add, has been superb this year.

Brockman started really well against Essendon with 2 goals, kicked three against Richmond last round. He’s a very good talent. Not sure what games you saw 👀

Yeah but they’ve gotta be role players. I don’t see Rowe, McHenry or Murphy doing a role as a pressure fwd for example which would be highly needed with Rachele/Rankine imo.

Yeah but they’ve gotta be role players. I don’t see Rowe, McHenry or Murphy doing a role as a pressure fwd for example which would be highly needed with Rachele/Rankine imo.

Eh, McHenry is going at a pretty casual 3.6 tackles/17.5 pressure acts. His problem is he can't find a way to push his game beyond being that run of the mill defensive forward, not that he's incapable. Seeing those types are always a draft pick away from being replaced. Or in this case, Berry forcing Keays out of our midfield, seeing Ben could certainly emulate an Alex Neal-Bullen type.

Last edited:
Eh, McHenry is going at a pretty casual 3.6 tackles/17.5 pressure acts. His problem is he can't find a way to push his game beyond being that run of the mill defensive forward, not that he's incapable. Seeing those types are always a draft pick away from being replaced.
I’m talking more the Puopolo types. Where you were afraid to be anywhere near them. Beau McCreery nowadays for example.

What happened? Dropped to sub 🤣

Blanck is a lock in our best 22 for the future. Nothing much to be gained by playing him. Time for some of our more speculative kids.

Gives room for Jeka to play for a contract in the last three weeks now we have discovered that he's a talented CHB.

Sheesh feels good to be so flush for young talent that we can rotate, especially now that the season is done.

Must be s**t being North with Ziebell keeping superstar Comben out of the side. I know he ain't too fit with injuries but surely he gets a shot now that the cue is well and truly in the rack.

That's an A-Grade forward line.

Without an A-Grade midfielder or two, it will all mean nothing! #draftwell

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app
100% ... we do have some young guys that will be an integral part of the midfield mix but yeah we really need a bonafide star and some breakaway pace .

Realistically , next year if we win 8-9 games with improvement through the youth the group will set for a good 2024 onwards .

No shortcuts in this one .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn has Dylan Moore who’s probably the best of all 3 teams (also a little midfield lately), Sam Butler, Tyler Brockman & Connor MacDonald (however he will turn into a midfielder).

We need to focus on mids and small/medium forwards aswell, we have a few and Crows have a couple (well they will with Rankine & Rachele) however still need it, they will likely need another kpf to stand up with Fogarty (third tall) & Thilthorpe (youth). Height over the ground because Adelaide seem very one paced overall and not tall enough. That includes dynamic and taller midfielders, which sucks that you’d be trading your first this year where you could’ve snapped up Mattaes Phillipou who is a talented 192cm mid-fwd, SA boy and a jet.
That's a solid assessment ... nice !

Jeka in just his 7th career game wore Chol like a glove. You can now add him to the long line of defenders Hawthorn have coming through. It’s an embarrassment of riches.

giphy.gif

Jeka keeping Chol to ZILCH in his first full game at CHB. Nice rebounding and kicking going the other way.

Meanwhile Norf have Kallan Dawson. lol.

Done no favours by the name. Imagine getting 3 goals kicked on you by a spud like Stewart :$:$:$

What's worse is they passed on Blanck who we wrapped up in cotton wool today :$

An embarrassment of riches indeed.

Jeka keeping Chol to ZILCH in his first full game at CHB. Nice rebounding and kicking going the other way.

Done no favours by the name. Imagine getting 3 goals kicked on you by a spud like Stewart :$:$:$

And Jeka probably won’t even end up as a CHB. Could still be a CHF where he dominated the VFL last year often having 20 10 marks and a bag.

Sam Berry will be an A grade midfielder IMO
Yeah well Hawthorn badly need mids and we’ve got Newcombe & Ward who are both going to be A Grade mids, you can add Dyl Moore to that too, that’s not even knowing what Connor MacDonald could become.

Chol kept Chol goalless. He was 10m directly in front and missed.

But at 1 goal its still a win to Jeka.

Our defence looks great.

Yeah well Hawthorn badly need mids and we’ve got Newcombe & Ward who are both going to be A Grade mids, you can add Dyl Moore to that too, that’s not even knowing what Connor MacDonald could become.
Newcombe yes, Ward is a super talent but he is yet to prove at AFL level that he will be an A grader. MacDonald looks a good player but I don’t think you can put him in that category.

HAWTHORN 3.5 8.8 10.9 10.10 (70)
GOLD COAST 2.3 5.5 7.10 8.15 (63)

GOALS
Hawthorn: Gunston 5, Breust, Koschitzke, McEvoy, O’Meara, Ward
Gold Coast: Hollands 2, Holman 2, Ainsworth, Casboult, Sharp, Witts

BEST
Hawthorn:
O’Meara, Gunston, Moore, Newcombe, Sicily, Mitchell
Gold Coast:
Swallow, Hollands, Witts, Ellis, Ainsworth

The older Hawthorn blokes kicked 8 of their team's 10 goals

4 of their 6 best players were from the older brigade. Hardwick should've been named among the best players.
If we include him as an older guy (25yo, 120 games) then it's 5 of their best 7 players.

Last edited:
Newcombe yes, Ward is a super talent but he is yet to prove at AFL level that he will be an A grader. MacDonald looks a good player but I don’t think you can put him in that category.
Wards last 4 weeks have been awesome. Before today he’s averaged 27 a game, his ball use and class is ridiculous, had a goal (good finish) with 3 goal assists and just his vision, kicking & decision making is top level.

Also his ability to get the ball, turning into traffic and then turning out and either releasing a player by hand or hitting a target by foot/bursting from stoppage.

You can’t say Berry without saying Ward.

HAWTHORN 3.5 8.8 10.9 10.10 (70)
GOLD COAST 2.3 5.5 7.10 8.15 (63)

GOALS
Hawthorn: Gunston 5, Breust, Koschitzke, McEvoy, O’Meara, Ward
Gold Coast: Hollands 2, Holman 2, Ainsworth, Casboult, Sharp, Witts

BEST
Hawthorn:
O’Meara, Gunston, Moore, Newcombe, Sicily, Mitchell
Gold Coast:
Swallow, Hollands, Witts, Ellis, Ainsworth

The older Hawthorn blokes kicked 8 of their team's 10 goals

4 of their 6 best players were from the older brigade. Hardwick should've been named among the best players.
If we include him as an older guy (25yo, 120 games) then it's 5 of their best 7 players.
They clearly didn’t watch the game and just looked at the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back