AFL Autopsy RND 21: Stomped on by the Giants

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The forward line team balance looks way off, since adding in Stewart and a rotating Langford. I would bring in Menzie to play alongside Guelfi. A forwardline that has Stringer, Wright, Jones and Stewart (Langford) looks too unbalanced.
Wright, Jones and Stewart shouldnt be on field in the same forward line very often at all

I do also think Langford is a better wingman who should spend small parts of the game fwd

Hes a perfect wingman for the modern game. His best year was on the wing

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Who was on Hogan? He dead set looked like prime Nick Riewoldt running around today. Was a genuine p155take what happened out there and I honestly can’t tell you who was on him cause they never seemed to appear in the same frame on the TV…

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Who was on Hogan? He dead set looked like prime Nick Riewoldt running around today. Was a genuine p155take what happened out there and I honestly can’t tell you who was on him cause they never seemed to appear in the same frame on the TV…
BZT mostly I think. He gave Hogan a bit of space outside of 50m towards the wing and seemed very reluctant to follow. Seemed like he was instructed that way.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Truck even said he’s better off being a 60/40 ruckman at this stage of his career in a presser about 3 weeks ago, then a week later they drop Flip and don’t bring in Bryan 🤷‍♂️
Was Flip injured?

I think they thought Stewart could pinch hit in the ruck but we need 2 dedicated rucks IMO.

Flip or Bryan a must next week.

Edit: interesting that Draper only took 1 mark today. Massive reason for us winning is he has been taking marks. With a second ruck Draper can get to more contests down the line.

Last edited:

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Next week needs to be about the coaching group enforcing standards.

At minimum, you'd want to see: Jones, Stewart, Hind, and Snelling all back in the VFL program to round out the year (candidly just naming a few). Get a couple of games into the likes of Baldwin, Bryan, Massimo and Menzies.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Effort not good enough however I think the effort and execution has been much improved overall the last couple of months. Changing poor culture when it comes to consistency in effort and defensive actions is not like an on/off switch. We will have let downs and I’m more interested now in the last two weeks.

Crap game to watch but not going to care that much about the loss in isolation to be honest.

May 8, 2018
Shanghai
AFL Club
Essendon
McVeigh challenged the GWS boys, they responded by getting physical and sticking up for each other. I wish we had that fight in us, but this list simply does not. I've never seen any instance of it, apart from Redman and Caldwell occasionally.
Maybe the boys were showing some solidarity and fight - not against GWS, but against their own club for not offering their best mate Hepp more than a 1-year contract ….?

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Coaches should be telling players some will be playing for their careers.

Some team stats are damning: GWS favour

Marks: 144-81
Tackles inside 50: 16-1
Kicks: 251-180
One %ers: 40-26

We hardly took a mark down the line from kick ins, esp pack marks. This is a killer.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
It was like, finally, a side brought some heat.

No strength around the ball. At least 3 forwards, Snelling, Stringer and Guelfi, who are structural liabilities, because they're not the talls in a side that had how many forward 50 tackles? Tough day for the talls, given absence of supply, but Jones was horrible when involved.

This is game is what we are. We do well to remember that.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Something I noticed yesterday is how slow our ball movement can be when our kicks and handballs aren't flat. So many times we resorted to higher kicks when there's pressure everywhere, giving GWS time to create contests.

Wright, Jones and Stewart shouldnt be on field in the same forward line very often at all

I do also think Langford is a better wingman who should spend small parts of the game fwd

Hes a perfect wingman for the modern game. His best year was on the wing
Agree with Langford. We have looked better when he has been wing / forward.
As far as the tall forwards go there would ideally be one of that trio on the bench depending on ruck rotations but one reason the forward line leaks is the total lack of quick small forwards. Our small forwards are slow as well.

It was like, finally, a side brought some heat.

No strength around the ball. At least 3 forwards, Snelling, Stringer and Guelfi, who are structural liabilities, because they're not the talls in a side that had how many forward 50 tackles? Tough day for the talls, given absence of supply, but Jones was horrible when involved.

This is game is what we are. We do well to remember that.
Yep. Certainly need to turn at least two forward spots into quick small forwards and not slow ones.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I'm not on the anti-Rutten bandwagon, though if we start last year like this year they'll need to get rid of around round 6-8.

However, losing the way they did, up against McVeigh and Hird, makes Rutten look even worse and gives more fuel the a overly noisy "get hird back" crew.

I suspect internally too the support for Rutten support ha deteriorated significantly.

Draper needs a second ruck, period.

Truck even said he’s better off being a 60/40 ruckman at this stage of his career in a presser about 3 weeks ago, then a week later they drop Flip and don’t bring in Bryan 🤷‍♂️

Was Flip injured?

I think they thought Stewart could pinch hit in the ruck but we need 2 dedicated rucks IMO.

Flip or Bryan a must next week.

Edit: interesting that Draper only took 1 mark today. Massive reason for us winning is he has been taking marks. With a second ruck Draper can get to more contests down the line.

/smoothtankingmoves
Flip got his new contract so I’d say they are planning to keep with the two ruck thing generally.

Ever since that was announced though they’ve put Stewart in as a forward to release Wright to play in the ruck.

This seems premeditated as Stewart has been playing forward in the VFL for a week or two since coming back from injury.

So Wright is the fwd/ruck atm. Draper taking 73% centre bounces last week and 88% this week though, so as second ruck Wright is only going in a few times.

Given Stewart is out of contract it’s probably more to do with seeing what they’ve got and how they can use him given Zerk has sown up that defensive spot for the time being and Reid is in the wings.

Testing Wright as a back up ruck also gives us flexibility in terms of recruiting another tall forward— if we brought in a KPF like some people are arguing we should, then we will probably have to run three talls and that is necessarily going to mean that we can’t have two rucks. So this is a way to test what that looks like, particularly since we can’t currently experiment with the unicorn in any of those roles since he is currently in two moon boots.

I’d say Hurley is more likely to get an opportunity this way too as there’s an extra forward role that he could potentially vie for, whereas he’s not going to be a like for like replacement for a ruck.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Flip got his new contract so I’d say they are planning to keep with the two ruck thing generally.

Ever since that was announced though they’ve put Stewart in as a forward to release Wright to play in the ruck.

This seems premeditated as Stewart has been playing forward in the VFL for a week or two since coming back from injury.

So Wright is the fwd/ruck atm. Draper taking 73% centre bounces last week and 88% this week though, so as second ruck Wright is only going in a few times.

Given Stewart is out of contract it’s probably more to do with seeing what they’ve got and how they can use him given Zerk has sown up that defensive spot for the time being and Reid is in the wings.

Testing Wright as a back up ruck also gives us flexibility in terms of recruiting another tall forward— if we brought in a KPF like some people are arguing we should, then we will probably have to run three talls and that is necessarily going to mean that we can’t have two rucks. So this is a way to test what that looks like, particularly since we can’t currently experiment with the unicorn in any of those roles since he is currently in two moon boots.

I’d say Hurley is more likely to get an opportunity this way too as there’s an extra forward role that he could potentially vie for, whereas he’s not going to be a like for like replacement for a ruck.
TBH, I think don't think Stewart fits in.

Not good enough for a key position role, not good enough as a pinch hitter in the ruck.

TBH, I think don't think Stewart fits in.

Not good enough for a key position role, not good enough as a pinch hitter in the ruck.
He hasn’t been in the ruck at all. 0 CBAs this year.

He’s more of a second banana up forward and a big lump in defence.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

solve world record GIF

Back