Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In no particular order the best captains I have seen since I started watching AFL are Worsfold, Hodge, Paul Kelly, Carey pre-affair, Selwood, Kernahan, Voss, Riewoldt, maybe Brown. Not all of them had success in terms of trophies. All of them either lost grand finals or big finals or from memory in Brown’s case, never made them.
I don’t think Cotchin was a BAD captain by any stretch - he was a good one. I don’t think they won flags BECAUSE of his leadership though.
He contributed undoubtedly but he wasn’t THE reason they won (or in 2018 didn’t make it for that matter).

Equally I don’t think Tom Harley is in the same bracket as the players i mentioned.
He played a massive role in transforming our club and lifting our standards but let’s not kid ourselves. If he wasn’t on the field in 2007 we would have still won and still won by 100 points. As a PLAYER he did a good job in 2009 as part of a team who continually time after time turned away a st Kilda side that was peppering us. I’m not sure how much our win owed to his captaincy.
Likewise Ling in 2011. We had a dozen leaders on the field. I don’t think he’s a better captain than others we’ve had because we happened to win a grand final with him in charge

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
99 per cent of press conferences are staged in a room that may or may not be permanently furnished (I’m sure a ground like the MCG or Perth Stadium has a permanently furnished main media room), they have a desk that is decorated with the relevant sponsor logos and products, a couple of bottles of water, and a backdrop that may or may not be changed between interviews.

Press will gather straight after the game, they all know each other and often know the people being interviewed, they talk amongst themselves, a ground or league media manager will usher in one group of people - losing player and captain usually - will allow 4-5 minutes of questions then will say ‘time for one more’ and that’s what happens. They get rid of them then bring in the opposition captain and coach.

I have not been to any AFL post match pressers but have been to a handful of NRL ones and a dozen post-race conferences at the Bathurst 1000 and I’ve never known any venue to use two different media centres

Yeah fair enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
he is just lying for the sake of it, I'm surprised you didn't point out his comment about the 'press area' being the size of a local league clubs.

Lower level clubs don't have press areas lol

You have now taken the title for the most annoying Cats supporter from PB. He at least doesn’t believe in conspiracy theories and actually contributes to discussions.

You have now taken the title for the most annoying Cats supporter from PB. He at least doesn’t believe in conspiracy theories and actually contributes to discussions.

Yeah I'm sure its really annoying getting caught out lying

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
"We won because of Dusty"

"Cotchin got it done when it mattered"

Which one is it?

The fact is Selwood outperformed Cotch in all the GF they have been in, Selwoods 5 and Cotchins 3. The Cats losing 2 haven't been Selwoods fault. Whereas Tugs winning 3 haven't been because of Cotch.

Primarily Dusty he was the difference, however Cotchin actually helped him get to his peak though mentoring. So it’s a bit of both.

Careful next to the 5G towers mate

back-pedal-bike.gif

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
No. In 2008 Stokes came in hurt and played bad. Blake, Kelly, Mooney missed a sitter, Ottens missed a sitter.

In 2020 Rohan was unsighted, Ablett got hurt, Simpson KO'd, Parfitt, Hendo, Kolo, MOC. We were carrying passengers and a game style not fit to win.

I understand that you're unable to have a genuine discussion about the sport because you don't actually understand the nuances of the sport, but a singular player doesn't win or lose a game in something like the AFL.

That's true in all cases except when you are talking about Dustin Martin

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
How come he only has a 57% winrate then?
What's his finals win rate Einstein?

As a Geelong supporter, you measure success by wins and losses all year round.

As Richmond supporters, we measure our success by wins and losses in the finals, where Dusty has literally stopped your club from saying they have 12 premierships.

He and the Richmond team have put a dent in your clubs history, and if Richmond meet Geelong in September, after the antics pulled the last few times, there's a receipt waiting for Stewart, Danger and the rest of the club.

Might not win, but you won't be getting through unscathed.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
What's his finals win rate Einstein?

As a Geelong supporter, you measure success by wins and losses all year round.

As Richmond supporters, we measure our success by wins and losses in the finals, where Dusty has literally stopped your club from saying they have 12 premierships.

He and the Richmond team have put a dent in your clubs history, and if Richmond meet Geelong in September, after the antics pulled the last few times, there's a receipt waiting for Stewart, Danger and the rest of the club.

Might not win, but you won't be getting through unscathed.

At Geelong its different

Near enough is good enough

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
At Geelong its different

Near enough is good enough
Theyll wave around a percentage to show people how successful they are.

You'd rather be Hawthorn than Geelong, yeah, they're down atm, but they had their era, won all the gold and now they're rebuilding again.

Geelong are the front runners right now, but they're always the front runners this time of year. Then they play someone in the qualifying final, arm wrestle for a half, then the other team powers away and the supporters once again begin to melt on BigFooty and twitter and they're 'surprised' by what has unfolded.

When you get 9 gift games in your own exclusive home ground, the AFL Ladder is a mirage, it's better than the really seems. In September everything corrects itself

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
How come he only has a 57% winrate then?

You are lucky.

You got to watch Martin at his best, only shame was he dismantled your team, year after year, on his way to winning grand finals and winning normies for fun.

You won't be telling your grandkids about Joel Selwood, well you will try, but they won't care, they will want to hear about the greatest finals player in history, and you got a front row seat.

Blessed you are, and so are all of us, in this his era

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Theyll wave around a percentage to show people how successful they are.

You'd rather be Hawthorn than Geelong, yeah, they're down atm, but they had their era, won all the gold and now they're rebuilding again.

Geelong are the front runners right now, but they're always the front runners this time of year. Then they play someone in the qualifying final, arm wrestle for a half, then the other team powers away and the supporters once again begin to melt on BigFooty and twittered and they're 'surprised' by what has unfolded.

When you get 9 gift games in your own exclusive home ground, the AFL Ladder is a mirage, it's better than the really seems. In September every corrects itself

WORD

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
You are lucky.

You got to watch Martin at his best, only shame was he dismantled your team, year after year, on his way to winning grand finals and winning normies for fun.

You won't be telling your grandkids about Joel Selwood, well you will try, but they won't care, they will want to hear about the greatest finals player in history, and you got a front row seat.

Blessed you are, and so are all of us, in this his era
Deep hahahah

Theyll be asking about Buddy and Dusty,

'Son, let me tell you about Tom Atkins'

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Thing is,

I am actually barracking for Geelong this year

I mean, we don't want the pies to win it.

Problem is, the cats always go to water when the heat is really on, and the pies play like we do.

I have zero confidence that these all Australian home and away champions can stand up when it really matters, I mean they never do that's the problem

Its because at Geelong, near enough has always been good enough.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Thing is,

I am actually barracking for Geelong this year

I mean, we don't want the pies to win it.

Problem is, the cats always go to water when the heat is really on, and the pies play like we do.

I have zero confidence that these all Australian home and away champions can stand up when it really matters, I mean they never do that's the problem

Its because at Geelong, near enough has always been good enough.
I certainly want Geelong to win ahead of

Collingwood- disgusting
Carlton - atrocious
Brisbane - could you imagine Robbo with a premiership medal 🤢🤢🤢
Melbourne - they'll pass us on 14 premierships !

Only Sydney and Fremantle are better options than Geelong. These single digit premiership winners don't alter Richmond's standing in premiership winning history.

Cant wait to hear about the 73.2836372% winrate thou

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
I certainly want Geelong to win ahead of

Collingwood- disgusting
Carlton - atrocious
Brisbane - could you imagine Robbo with a premiership medal 🤢🤢🤢
Melbourne - they'll pass us on 14 premierships !

Only Sydney and Fremantle are better options than Geelong. These single digit premiership winners don't alter Richmond's standing in premiership winning history.

Cant wait to hear about the 73.2836372% winrate thou
That's why it is not a rivalry

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
That's true in all cases except when you are talking about Dustin Martin

But it’s not, is it.

If Richmond’s defence hadn’t kept Geelong within striking distance on the scoreboard you wouldn’t have won the 2020 grand final.

If Bachar Houli hadn’t marshalled your defence the way he did against Adelaide when they were making all the play in 2017 to the point where to this day many people think he was robbed of the norm Smith, Martin’s class would have been superfluous wouldnt it.

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
The dank curse? Which is what? If you legally ask someone to supply you with a legal supplement and don’t get it from them anyway and then disclose this to the AFL you will win three flags and make finals 15 out of 16 seasons?

Yeah no I’m sure everyone is tying themselves in knots over it.

Leave him be

It's easier to attribute it all to a 'curse' than acknowledge that we simply had significantly better players during the '07-11 era.

By his premise, I assume Richmond were cursed for 37 years? Or is that different?

Back