F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Im interested in what in particular technical aspects of the McLaren doesn't suit Riccardo as opposed to the Renault which as you say 'suits' his style.
I said probably suits his style . Purely based on him being more competitive in the Renault vs Norris and Saint at the time . Also the regular statements from Sainz Norris and Ricciardo about the Mclaren being a strange/different car to drive . But yes we are all intrigued with why they say that and why Ricciardo is no good in the Mclaren . If I had the answer for you I would be paid a lot more than I am .

C'mon people. Zak is "totally committed" to having Daniel on the team next year. He wouldn't lie or anything. Right?
The equivalent of an AFL President “fully backing” an AFL coach.
We all know how that plays out normally so why are we surprised with any of this?

The equivalent of an AFL President “fully backing” an AFL coach.
We all know how that plays out normally so why are we surprised with any of this?
mclaren has big bucks tied up in the danny ric contract. unless they can find a buyer, he stays imo.

What about Piastri then ?

What about him? His contract is to be reserve next season and then take the seat in 2024. McLaren want to put him into Daniel's seat next season but that is predicated on Daniel agreeing to go. If Daniel stays then Oscar has no seat and is a reserve driver again.

Realistically what does a rookie driver like Piastri demand contract wise? Genuinely asking as I have no idea, a couple of mil before performance incentives maybe? Hard to say considering his standing as a rookie isn’t comparable to the last few rookies to come into the league and he’s no longer on a “junior academy” contract

McLaren are paying 15mil for Riccardo anyway whose obviously on the decline, what’s an extra $2mil for someone who will probably perform better next year considering what we’ve seen recently, and more importantly is the hottest junior prospect in the sport who could presumably drive for McLaren for years (should they get their s**t together) and will only get better.

It’s an absolute no brainer for everyone involved

What about him? His contract is to be reserve next season and then take the seat in 2024. McLaren want to put him into Daniel's seat next season but that is predicated on Daniel agreeing to go. If Daniel stays then Oscar has no seat and is a reserve driver again.

It depends on the terms of Daniels contract. There is talk they are just going to pay him out and he can go sit on the beach. McLaren have plenty of money, with the budget cap they are spending an insane amount less per year than previously, they can definitely afford to take a loss on a driver contract for one year. Maybe Daniel will be the reserve.

mclaren has big bucks tied up in the danny ric contract. unless they can find a buyer, he stays imo.
Could be the free seat at Alpine has triggered that all, Mclaren informing Riccardo his seat is gone to Piastri next year seems to indicate the possibility they have come to some sort of arrangement where Mclaren offer to pay a portion of Danny Ric's salary to move to Alpine.

Its the best case scenario for all parties really, Danny Ric is the best like for like with Alonso on the market and to get him cheap likely on a 1+1 performance based contract is about the best Alpine can do after their complete balls up.

For Danny Ric its also a best case scenario, another year at Mclaren his career was done now he gets the chance to shift back to a team he drove well for in comparable machinery with a weaker teammate so he can settle better.

The only one who potentially loses is Piastri, tougher teammate and burnt bridges with the other midfield leader if he cant show something special to be looked at by the top 3 it could be a short career for him but I have a lot of faith he will be right on norris quickly.

Yeah that’s definitely not happening, there’s no way Oscar signed that deal. Why would he? He’d just continue to wait as he was already for a seat to open up. Why would he lock himself into the exact situation in August, that he was already in, but with less options.

He was under no rush to sign a contract unless it suited him

There is absolutely no chance Piastri isn't driving F1 next year with Mclaren, you don't definitively turn down a mutli year seat at Alpine for a reserve role elsewhere and if that was all Mclaren was offering he would have went the williams/alpine route.

Pretending they put him into a reserve role pending danny ric stepping away is a save face bullshit line from McLaren to not piss off aussie f1 fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no chance Piastri isn't driving F1 next year with Mclaren, you don't definitively turn down a mutli year seat at Alpine for a reserve role elsewhere and if that was all Mclaren was offering he would have went the williams/alpine route.

He turned down Alpine and signed the contract with McLaren before Alonso left. It was either be a reserve at Alpine next season and hope Alonso retired so he would have a seat the following season or be reserve at McLaren for a year with a guaranteed seat in 2024. I know what I would choose. There is also the fact that supposedly the loan to Williams was not as concrete as the public believe it to be.

He turned down Alpine and signed the contract with McLaren before Alonso left. It was either be a reserve at Alpine next season and hope Alonso retired so he would have a seat the following season or be reserve at McLaren for a year with a guaranteed seat in 2024. I know what I would choose. There is also the fact that supposedly the loan to Williams was not as concrete as the public believe it to be.
Why would he sign anything though? That deal with McLaren would still be there at the end of 2022, he’d just keep biding his time in that case with Alpine still obliged to find him a seat for 23’ and if they didn’t every single backmarker for a start would be offering him a full time drive (not under loan)

Zero chance he signed a reserve driver contract

Why would he sign anything though? That deal with McLaren would still be there at the end of 2022, he’d just keep biding his time in that case with Alpine still obliged to find him a seat for 23’ and if they didn’t every single backmarker for a start would be offering him a full time drive (not under loan)

Zero chance he signed a reserve driver contract

Every report that has come out has said it was a reserve contract. With Daniel still contracted and part of the team he couldn't sign anything else. It'll only be once Daniel agrees to leave that he can sign a proper contract for next season.

Every report that has come out has said it was a reserve contract. With Daniel still contracted and part of the team he couldn't sign anything else. It'll only be once Daniel agrees to leave that he can sign a proper contract for next season.
Well yeah but whats said currently is irrelevant, let me rephrase my last comment, there is zero chance he is a McLaren reserves driver next year, no matter the contract he’s signed recently.

Why would he not just go to Alpine then? There is no chance he’s signed a reserve contract without an out clause if he didn’t get a seat at McLaren but got offered a seat somewhere else.

DR has already dropped all McLaren references from his socials I believe, he’s gone I suspect it’s already done.

They have already informed daniel he doesn't have a seat next year, why would they do that if they were going to put oscar as a reserve for a year?

You honestly haven't been paying attention over the last 12-18 months if you think he would torch Alpine to become a reserve when everything Webber has been doing was with the sole aim of getting him into a race seat sooner not later, heck their contract with Alpine had to lock in a seat with them or someone else on loan for next year or it was torched.

Anyone else remember that press conference of Norris and Ricciardo in hysterics making jokes about pubic hair, etc? Every fan thought they would make the best of tm8s and be some sort of F1 comedy duo...

In reality they had nothing in common off the track and Lando ended Rics career.

They have already informed daniel he doesn't have a seat next year, why would they do that if they were going to put oscar as a reserve for a year?

Because the contract was signed on the 1st of July. Daniel wasn't told until a week ago. I honestly think they were planning on having Oscar as a reserve for next year but once the Alpine seat opened up they probably saw their opportunity to get Daniel to leave and get Oscar in the seat for next season. There is no way Daniel would agree to end the contract this year if there is no seats available for next year.

Because the contract was signed on the 1st of July. Daniel wasn't told until a week ago. I honestly think they were planning on having Oscar as a reserve for next year but once the Alpine seat opened up they probably saw their opportunity to get Daniel to leave and get Oscar in the seat for next season. There is no way Daniel would agree to end the contract this year if there is no seats available for next year.
Then he’d go to Haas, Williams, Alfa etc who would all offer Oscar a drive next year

There's no way Oscar signed up to be a reserve for another year. One year of no racing is about the limit for a young driver. McLaren signed him up to replace Dan there's no doubt about it.

I'd stake my life on this not being the case, choose to believe McLaren bullshit pr if you like

Remove this Banner Ad

Back