• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are the Eagles heading?

Looked awful and have lots of old players. I know they've fallen down the ladder before and quickly risen but it doesn't seem like they have the core of promising younger players to build around

Will they spend their way out?
I didn't think they looked awful at all! They had dominant big men all over the ground and were actually trying, generating pressure as high as we have faced this year.

Looked awful and have lots of old players. I know they've fallen down the ladder before and quickly risen but it doesn't seem like they have the core of promising younger players to build around

Logan McDonald and Denver Grainger-Barass both out of contract end of 2024

Excellent afternoon at Optus Stadium. Crowd was 50,115, noisy, and all there to cheer on JK, what a great show he put on today with 8 goals. Would've been an interesting finish if he'd kicked that 40m set shot in the 4th Quarter, it was just in front of us. That goal, plus the 1m kick that flicked the goal post... they were important and then the ball went up the other end and Adelaide goaled stretching it out to 10pts or so.
The difference today was really the tackling, the crows intensity was a step higher and fairly consistent for the whole game. The only time West Coast really got rolling was for that period in the 3rd Qtr when their clearance game was switched on and they finished their good work with goals. Otherwise, the Adelaide pressure was consistently good and WCE kept turning the ball over in situations where they thought they were out & gone.
Tex was blanketed all day. Barrass was just too good on him. It makes sense for Simmo to play it that was as I think Tex is Adelaide's No1 Score Involvement player and cutting off that avenue really stifled the Crows today... luckily they found enough roads to goal through Fog and Lairdy and Himmelberg.

always fantastic to go to Optus Stadium and beat the Eagles, and have my clapping and yelling echo around the Grandstand while the Eagles fans stay quiet

Take the win all day every day.

Do we really want to be bottom four for three seasons in a row?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s all about context though isn’t it? Nobody is going to remember a meaningless loss in R23 of a dead season if you’re able to draft the next superstar midfielder of the comp. You’re not gonna sit there in 5 years time watching Phillipou win games off his own boot for another team but thinking “Thank god we didn’t finish bottom 3 again in 2022”

Their list management will be fascinating, especially to compare to us a few seasons back.

I'd be offloading McGovern (cooked), Gaff (still would have some trade currency) and Yeo (unfit/cooked) and keeping NicNat, Shuey and Darling.

They will get Allen back next year, and their first pick from last year (Chesser) will hopefully get out on the park. Bazzo looks decent from what I've seen.

They will have pick 2 and two early second rounders (lol Port) so they need to attack this year's draft.

Quieter game from Keays

I really hope that the second he has a quiet quarter at half forward that we don't immediately rush him back into the midfield

Sloane elsewhere always suffered the same fate. It would last a minuscule amount of time unless it was an immediate and constant success

Injuries have badly hurt them this year. They do have a lot of old players but still a few that shouldn't be cooked yet

Elliot Yeo will turn 29 this year, played only 5 games. Dom Sheed 27 years old and 1 game. Oscar Allen 23 and 0 games. Get those three players back and it will help substantially with the rebuild

On top of that they have Tim Kelly (28), Tom Barrass (26), Liam Ryan (26), Liam Duggan (26) who should form a good core of about seven experienced players to push through the rebuild (plus several other role players). Especially if they can get a bit extra from McGovern, Darling, Gaff, Cripps and Nic Nat in their 30s

It'll be a rebuild but you'd hope not as severe of a rebuild as us or North or a Gold Coast type.

They'll need to hit the draft hard though. Outside of Culley and Chesser there's not a heap of players under 22 that look reasonable. Couple of "maybe" taller types. Pick 2 this year will help massively

They also had a few very crap players out there today who they would be hoping to replace (Foley, O'Neill, Langdon, Waterman, Williams)

Last edited:
Quieter game from Keays

I really hope that the second he has a quiet quarter at half forward that we don't immediately rush him back into the midfield

Sloane elsewhere always suffered the same fate. It would last a minuscule amount of time unless it was an immediate and constant success
We already did that this game

I didn't have that thought, I must admit. I spent the whole game watching the WC forwards (mainly JK) leading and being hit up, and us bombing the ball up in the air to wherever Barrass was standing. I whinged to myself "why don't we lead like that?"

There were a couple of exceptions, but if we had hit up leads instead of bombing to Barrass, we would have won by 10.
Barrass was superb, however. :huh:
Yep, Barrass having a season, no doubt.

By my count 7 of our goals came from hitting up a forward on a lead. All of McAdams and 3 of Fogs 4 included. Was a beautiful thing

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quieter game from Keays

Was our ‘Pressure Act’ leader with 25, worked pretty hard off the ball.

Last edited:

They are headed for some pain and a very long rebuild. Once their oldies retire they don't have much underneath. Similar to powaa.

It’s all about context though isn’t it? Nobody is going to remember a meaningless loss in R23 of a dead season if you’re able to draft the next superstar midfielder of the comp. You’re not gonna sit there in 5 years time watching Phillipou win games off his own boot for another team but thinking “Thank god we didn’t finish bottom 3 again in 2022”
I get that.

But going up the ladder is a by-product of improvement.

Being stuck bottom four for three seasons means there was no improvement.

We should beat Norf, and push Port.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought he was matched up on Cripps for a fair amount of time.
If he did he was beaten, 14 possessions, 2 goals and 6 score involvements.

We just need to come to terms that he’s just not good enough and unlikely he will ever be.

I can understand why we’ve persisted given what he cost, but there comes a time you just got to accept the inevitable and it’s unfair on others who don’t get anywhere near the same level of chances.

Back