Certified Legendary Thread Patrick Cripps and Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

The bumping/spoiling player, legally, is responsible for any resultant injury caused by the ground when the target of the bump/spoil can’t protect themselves. So Cripps is deemed responsible even if it was hitting the ground which knocked him out.

If Cripps was merely contesting the ball, why did he leave his feet but not extend his arms?

The bumping/spoiling player, legally, is responsible for any resultant injury caused by the ground when the target of the bump/spoil can’t protect themselves. So Cripps is deemed responsible even if it was hitting the ground which knocked him out.

If Cripps was merely contesting the ball, why did he leave his feet but not extend his arms?
The vibe

Can't believe this will result in suspension. Games *ed.
Yeah imagine trying to protect young blokes from head trauma that can have serious lifelong impacts and send them to an early grave - FMD.:rolleyes:

Friendly reminder that the average life span for people suffering from CTE could be as low as 51 years. The game would be ****ed if we allowed this s**t to happen unnoticed and unreprimanded, or worse still - celebrated it like the sport used to.

The AFL likes to use the "turned to protect himself" to move on from suspension talk, so I expect the narrative will be that Cripps left the ground to contest for the ball after having no other reasonable means to contest the ball, then turned to protect himself and incidental contact with Ah Chee resulted in him being rubbed out for a game and a half with concussion.

And realistically players need to be allowed to throw their body at the contest when contesting the ball, reaching for the ball in these circumstances should have any talk of a charge thrown out immediately

Not even in the same ballpark as the Stewart hit and no where near the 4+ weeks people are wanting here.

Initial hit is careless medium impact to the head which is one week. Ah Chee hitting his head on the ground makes it high impact and you get two weeks. Seems pretty obvious but who knows how the AFL play it nowadays.

Taking my Carlton hat off to give an unbiased opinion - Ah Chee should have been done for Tunnelling.

Nah, Crippa gone for a couple.

Of course it will, the AFL manipulate this kind of stuff to suit their agenda and this year it's get Carlton into the finals.

If this doesn't end in two weeks it will set a precedent that you can NOW do this type of thing with impunity. A heap of players who have copped weeks for similar will be asking for refunds!
Might need to let them borrow Hawkins and Cameron and maybe bring back prime Kouta :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL likes to use the "turned to protect himself" to move on from suspension talk, so I expect the narrative will be that Cripps left the ground to contest for the ball after having no other reasonable means to contest the ball…
Well he could have, you know, contested the ball by reaching out for it, punched it, or slowed down half a step and tackled Ah Chee once he had possession. Instead he jumped in the air and bumped him in the head. No use turning yourself in knots to make excuses for it.

Chrisso only has to decide if it’s careless/high/high and 2 weeks, or careless/high/severe and 3+.

Yeah imagine trying to protect young blokes from head trauma that can have serious lifelong impacts and send them to an early grave - FMD.:rolleyes:

Friendly reminder that the average life span for people suffering from CTE could be as low as 51 years. The game would be *ed if we allowed this s**t to happen unnoticed and unreprimanded, or worse still - celebrated it like the sport used to.
Let's play netball or tennis.

Well he could have, you know, contested the ball by reaching out for it, punched it, or slowed down half a step and tackled Ah Chee once he had possession. Instead he jumped in the air and bumped him in the head. No use turning yourself in knots to make excuses for it.

Chrisso only has to decide if it’s careless/high/high and 2 weeks, or careless/high/severe and 3+.
I think because the hit is in the contest and is just Cripps bracing himself reduces it down to careless. I can’t see a world where the hit is considered severe. I mean it wasn’t even a free kick. Rioli’s hit was 10x harder. Honestly the actual contact was fairly low impact. It’s the whiplash afterwards that causes damage. Do they blame Cripps for that? Obviously he has to take some sort of responsibility for that. The more I look at it the more it seems like if Ah Chee got up and went about his day it wouldn’t even be a week.

Not even in the same ballpark as the Stewart hit and no where near the 4+ weeks people are wanting here.

Initial hit is careless medium impact to the head which is one week. Ah Chee hitting his head on the ground makes it high impact and you get two weeks. Seems pretty obvious but who knows how the AFL play it nowadays.

A bump to the head left a bloke concussed, you'd be very lucky to get medium impact

Carless/High contact seem the only givens.

I think because the hit is in the contest and is just Cripps bracing himself reduces it down to careless. I can’t see a world where the hit is considered severe. I mean it wasn’t even a free kick. Rioli’s hit was 10x harder. Honestly the actual contact was fairly low impact.
You’re not following the way the system works.

It will very likely be graded as careless, no-one is saying it was intentional. Those are the only two options.

Then they look at where the contact occurred. I think we can all agree it was high, as opposed to body contact.

Then they look at severity of impact. This is the only part in any sort of doubt in my view. It won’t be medium as a concussion occurred. It can be high, which is 2 weeks, or severe, which is a tribunal referral and 3 weeks or more.

So that’s your range, 2 weeks to whatever the tribunal decides. I think he’s unlikely to get 4 like Stewart as there was less time to react, so in my view 2-3 weeks.

Rioli’s situation is not relevant as it was a marking contest. They’re not the same.

You’re not following the way the system works.

It will very likely be graded as careless, no-one is saying it was intentional. Those are the only two options.

Then they look at where the contact occurred. I think we can all agree it was high, as opposed to body contact.

Then they look at severity of impact. This is the only part in any sort of doubt in my view. It won’t be medium as a concussion occurred. It can be high, which is 2 weeks, or severe, which is a tribunal referral and 3 weeks or more.

So that’s your range, 2 weeks to whatever the tribunal decides. I think he’s unlikely to get 4 like Stewart as there was less time to react, so in my view 2-3 weeks.

Rioli’s situation is not relevant as it was a marking contest. They’re not the same.
What? I said exactly this, I think it will be given two weeks by the MRO. But I think Carlton will try and argue it down to medium impact. The concussion most likely didn’t occur from the bump itself so there is wiggle room there for Carlton to try and argue.

Willie Rioli is absolutely relevant and is a precedent set this year for this kind of action. Is it different, yes, but just because it wasn’t in a marking contest does not mean it’s not relevant. The ball was in the air and in dispute, that’s a contest. Just because you don’t get paid a mark after competing for the air ball doesn’t mean it’s completely different. If that ball Rioli went up for was touched, is it all of sudden he’s getting 4+ weeks for it? That would make no sense. Just because these kind of incidents typically happen in a marking contest as handballs don’t normally loop up like this doesn’t mean anything. I guarantee you Carlton will bring up the Rioli incident in their case as a precedent of protecting yourself in a football contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back