• Patrick Parnell

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed Keays went in for the CBA a few times but then pushed forward.
They put him in first bounce, probably just to trick the opposition to thinking it would be business as usual. The next few he was pushed forward if I'm recalling correctly. I wasn't stalking what was being done but I certainly didn't notice us going Keays & Laird endlessly.

Jones and Schoenberg are somewhat concerning. The thing with Schoenberg is that he doesn't have that first 5 metre burst of speed which the top line mids all have. He also needs to improve his tackling. Needs a big preseason.
Schoenberg was quiet, did a couple nice things too. I didn't notice too many clangers & he set up one of the McAdam goals but yeah wasn't good or involved enough that I saw.

Good:

• Laird, another elite game, is improving on how he uses the ball as well, may not have hit his ceiling as a mid yet.
  • Berry, genuine inside beast, putting his name up there with the best of them.
  • Fogarty, confidence continues to rise, looks like a player who truly believes in himself and has the ability to back it up, awesome to see.
  • Almost everyone else, heaps of players stood up when their numbers were called which is great to see.

Bad:

• Tex, just strange, Barass completely dominated him.
  • Butts, maybe there was no stopping Kennedy yesterday, and even as a Crows diehard I couldn’t help smile at that, but he had his colours lowered again today, needs a big bounce back in 2023.
  • O’Brien’s first half, I think he recovered well in the second, but Nic Nat was dominant in the first and it nearly cost us. I’ve always felt that although he may not be the greatest tap ruckman, he is able to negate the influence of the oppo’s ruck, however that was not the case yesterday.
  • Hamill, probably needs to retire, really feel for him.

Well yesterday was a great match to attend, the atmosphere was incredible. I've also gotta say the Eagles crowd were great. I half expected some flogs to be hostile or rude about our side due to the week we've had but nothing. They cheered hard, wanted lots of free kicks (as does every home side) but when we were congratulated for winning after the match an appropriate modest applause no booing etc so credit to that supporter base. I've always heard they can be hostile or feral but I certainly didn't experience it.

Now as for the rest...

The Good:
  • Winning despite the week we've had. I could have seen us mentally no showing after the media, the JK factor, the come down from our best performance of the year. Some players certainly struggled, it wasn't as good as the week prior with a whole team performance but a win in Perth is a win in Perth.
  • Failing to get over run when they sliced our lead to nothing in just minutes of the last quarter.
  • Accurate goal kicking.
  • Half time the coaching groups managed to get a very noticeable intensity lift out of side.

Now for the players:

• Hinge played easily his best game. I prefer him on the wing if he can get that level of output. I think his defensive game just isn't that great so I prefer him in the more attacking type role.
  • Laird what is there to say? 36 disposals, hit the scoreboard early, tackles, clearances. The back half of the year after missing some with injury start of the year would be all australian worthy.
  • Berry was a physical beast & presence in the midfield. Don't let the lower disposal count confuse you he was excellent.
  • Fogarty was outstanding, when the game was on the line he's who grabbed it & made us hold on.
  • ROB won't be popular here due to the anti ROB factor but he was pretty good yesterday. Took some very important marks, nailed Nic Nat in a hugely important tackle later in the match. While not perfect was a very acceptable standard and what we need out of him regularly.
  • McAdam was extremely important and didn't disappoint, took some good grabs, nailed his opportunities.
  • McHenry another whipping boy was decent, mostly because he had 2 chances for goal & took them. Fine line between a poor match & good one.
  • Murphy had a poorish first quarter but he lifted seriously after that, was probably his best match for the year. Some extremely important pressure acts & hit the score board again without missing.
  • Dawson was pretty solid, not his best but if that's a mediocre game it's still pretty decent.
  • Himmelbergs was not good all match, a tale of 2 halves as it so often is with him. I swear he's always good in the 2nd half when some pace comes off the match because by half time I never wanted to see him again, by the end of the match I felt I was too harsh. Some huge moments in that 2nd half & didn't screw them up.
  • Soligo had an important last quarter, struggled a bit prior but he's the guy we want with ball in hand to make good decisions.
  • Murray was pretty good defensively.
  • Worrell did a few very nice things, saving a goal late in the match and cramping like all hell after. A solid follow up from an outstanding 2nd AFL match.
  • Tom Barass plays for the opposition but I just have to admire how amazing he is as a defender. Just plays the game without nonsense. Without him we probably would have won by 6 goals. Didn't just beat Tex easily but helped the rest of the defensive unit.
  • Josh Kennedy kicking a bag was amazing to see live with that crowd & the occasion. What a super star he's been.
  • Nicks deserves some credit again for keeping the playing group on task. I also was happy with his use of Keays & midfield rotations. I've posted about it just above for more depth but maybe he's learning slowly?

The Bad:
  • Smith completely back to middle earth after a great week.
  • Milera did a couple nice things but output wasn't enough.
  • Tex was thoroughly beaten by Barass who is an outstanding defender and put serious work in. Regardless Tex wasn't tough enough yesterday so probably his worst match in 2 years.
  • Jones did a couple very nice things but struggled to get involved again. Really hope we see a Fogarty moment with him soon where it just starts to all click because his yo-yoing between doing ok & doing little is a bit frustrating.

The Ugly:
  • Will Hamills 6th concussion, surely he starts to wear a helmet in the hope it slows these up?
  • Butts had a shocker, probably didn't get the team help on Kennedy he needed but just looked lost out there. End of the year probably can't come fast enough for him.
  • Himmelbergs first half, looked like he was barely trying.

All in all I was really pleased with the performance. Few players down, more or less senior guys too but we found a way to win in Perth despite everything happening around us for the week.

Now to see if we can get 3 in a row against the Roos this week.
Regarding Berry, you are right that disposal count doesn’t reflect his impact on the game.

He had 19 disposals himself. He also had 12 tackles which denied the opposition moving the ball away a dozen times.

The other thing is that I reckon he was tackled 15 times with the ball. And no, it’s not like he was caught HTB whilst loose, but he was in and under trying to get the quick possession away or halving the contest. I wish there were a stat for how many times a player is tackled. Because Berry gets his hands on the ball first so many times. In 3 years time he will get a possession away for half of these and will be averaging high 20’s possessions.

Basically he is influencing the contest about 50 times a game.

Regarding Berry, you are right that disposal count doesn’t reflect his impact on the game.

He had 19 disposals himself. He also had 12 tackles which denied the opposition moving the ball away a dozen times.

The other thing is that I reckon he was tackled 15 times with the ball. And no, it’s not like he was caught HTB whilst loose, but he was in and under trying to get the quick possession away or measure sliding the contest. I wish there were a stat for how many times a player is tackled. Because Berry gets his hands on the ball first so many times. In 3 years time he will get a possession away for half of these and will be averaging high 20’s possessions.

16 of his 19 possessions were contested.

8 clearances.

419m gained with only 3 uncontested possessions is a massive effort.

They put him in first bounce, probably just to trick the opposition to thinking it would be business as usual. The next few he was pushed forward if I'm recalling correctly. I wasn't stalking what was being done but I certainly didn't notice us going Keays & Laird endlessly.
I was pleased to see Schoe, Berry and Soligo in there at one point.

Re watching that third quarter. That 50 against Tex was the biggest load of s**t I've ever seen. Literally stands the mark, ump immediately calls 50 without any instruction about where he was standing.
He deliberately stepped a metre or two over the 9 metre line (level with the goal square) - I thought that it was a fifty.

Good:
If we win our last two, and Port lose to Essendon at Marvel (Bombers are 1.80 favourites), we finish above the scum. Wouldn’t that just be hilarious 😂
But it would weaken our bargaining position re GCS for Rankine …… lessened PSD threat.

Not even Laird's best of the season. He's having some second half of the season.

McAdam's career best.

And supports Murphy's contributions 👍
Murphy is interesting. He's a significantly better player when played further up the ground, kicking it inside 50 to the forwards and joining link up play as we move the ball. Seems to have a good kick on him and footy smarts in that role. Could do with getting the ball more, but we have many players like that.

He's borderline awful when played as a small forward

The other thing is that I reckon he was tackled 15 times with the ball. And no, it’s not like he was caught HTB whilst loose, but he was in and under trying to get the quick possession away or halving the contest. I wish there were a stat for how many times a player is tackled. Because Berry gets his hands on the ball first so many times. In 3 years time he will get a possession away for half of these and will be averaging high 20’s possessions.

When you watch him at the match I don't think the TV does justice just how much intensity he plays with. The guy just keeps going, doesn't win ball he's laying a tackle. Seriously exciting prospect if he can just get his disposals up a bit more but even as he is offers a lot, especially with the Nicks style of game.

When you watch him at the match I don't think the TV does justice just how much intensity he plays with. The guy just keeps going, doesn't win ball he's laying a tackle. Seriously exciting prospect if he can just get his disposals up a bit more but even as he is offers a lot, especially with the Nicks style of game.
It’s not something that gets talked about a lot, but his strength to not go to ground despite heavy contact is pivotal. Opponents just aren’t able to get him out of the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not something that gets talked about a lot, but his strength to not go to ground despite heavy contact is pivotal. Opponents just aren’t able to get him out of the contest.
Yep has immense strength through the contest. I mean you know it from TV but when you see it live for such a young guy you just think wow and he does it all match long.

Bad: the same posters who wrote Fogarty off as a bust doing exactly the same to Jones/McHenry! Despite admitting they got it wrong with Fog.
Who?

And one is a Key Position Forward who take longer, who had weapons and was starved of opportunity.

Jones and McHenry are smalls who have been given every opportunity. McHenry has no AFL traits except for trying hard. Jones has speed and burst, which we rarely see.

Its chalk an cheese.

Bad: the same posters who wrote Fogarty off as a bust doing exactly the same to Jones/McHenry! Despite admitting they got it wrong with Fog.
I didn't write Fogs off infact the opposite and pumped up McHenrys tyres based on his finish last year but these 2 will become depth really quickly if we pick best 22.
Fogs playing harder position and being bigger usually takes time.
These 2 should be consistently racking it up.
Soligo, Berry, Schoenberg and Rachele have gone past them. Nankervis will likely go past pretty quickly. Milera back may take the hbf.
Dawson traded in and if Rankine trade theres more spots taken.
4th year on list and drafter as 1st Round mids and our rookie picks mid season picks are going past them in Hinge and Parnell.
2016 and 2018 drafts are going to be on par as massive busts.

Last edited:
I'm in the anti-tank brigade. Playing to lose is just wrong.

If Richmond beat Hawthorn, Essendon beat Port and we beat North (all favourites to win) there will be Port, Hawthorn, Essendon and Adelaide all on 8 wins.

R23 has Essendon against Richmond, Hawks against the Dogs, and of course the Showdown. Could still see us as high as 12th.

I won't mind if we win out and Hawks or Dons push us back to 13th for a better draft pick and (in theory) better draw for next year given the bottom six tend to get mostly other bottom six sides to play twice. Of course we will always get two Showdowns. But that is not tanking.

I wholeheartedly agree .....the tendency is always to have a scapegoat in the team .....Ned is the new Mackay

It's a highly emotional game & supporters have every right to pot players on a gameday performance ......but it doesn't define their career, particularly as most are developing

Of course not all will have long careers .....the averages say that

I wholeheartedly agree .....the tendency is always to have a scapegoat in the team .....Ned is the new Mackay

It's a highly emotional game & supporters have every right to pot players on a gameday performance ......but it doesn't define their career, particularly as most are developing

Of course not all will have long careers .....the averages say that
What do you think McHenry's ceiling is?

Well yesterday was a great match to attend, the atmosphere was incredible. I've also gotta say the Eagles crowd were great. I half expected some flogs to be hostile or rude about our side due to the week we've had but nothing. They cheered hard, wanted lots of free kicks (as does every home side) but when we were congratulated for winning after the match an appropriate modest applause no booing etc so credit to that supporter base. I've always heard they can be hostile or feral but I certainly didn't experience it.

Now as for the rest...

The Good:
  • Winning despite the week we've had. I could have seen us mentally no showing after the media, the JK factor, the come down from our best performance of the year. Some players certainly struggled, it wasn't as good as the week prior with a whole team performance but a win in Perth is a win in Perth.
  • Failing to get over run when they sliced our lead to nothing in just minutes of the last quarter.
  • Accurate goal kicking.
  • Half time the coaching groups managed to get a very noticeable intensity lift out of side.

Now for the players:

• Hinge played easily his best game. I prefer him on the wing if he can get that level of output. I think his defensive game just isn't that great so I prefer him in the more attacking type role.
  • Laird what is there to say? 36 disposals, hit the scoreboard early, tackles, clearances. The back half of the year after missing some with injury start of the year would be all australian worthy.
  • Berry was a physical beast & presence in the midfield. Don't let the lower disposal count confuse you he was excellent.
  • Fogarty was outstanding, when the game was on the line he's who grabbed it & made us hold on.
  • ROB won't be popular here due to the anti ROB factor but he was pretty good yesterday. Took some very important marks, nailed Nic Nat in a hugely important tackle later in the match. While not perfect was a very acceptable standard and what we need out of him regularly.
  • McAdam was extremely important and didn't disappoint, took some good grabs, nailed his opportunities.
  • McHenry another whipping boy was decent, mostly because he had 2 chances for goal & took them. Fine line between a poor match & good one.
  • Murphy had a poorish first quarter but he lifted seriously after that, was probably his best match for the year. Some extremely important pressure acts & hit the score board again without missing.
  • Dawson was pretty solid, not his best but if that's a mediocre game it's still pretty decent.
  • Himmelbergs was not good all match, a tale of 2 halves as it so often is with him. I swear he's always good in the 2nd half when some pace comes off the match because by half time I never wanted to see him again, by the end of the match I felt I was too harsh. Some huge moments in that 2nd half & didn't screw them up.
  • Soligo had an important last quarter, struggled a bit prior but he's the guy we want with ball in hand to make good decisions.
  • Murray was pretty good defensively.
  • Worrell did a few very nice things, saving a goal late in the match and cramping like all hell after. A solid follow up from an outstanding 2nd AFL match.
  • Tom Barass plays for the opposition but I just have to admire how amazing he is as a defender. Just plays the game without nonsense. Without him we probably would have won by 6 goals. Didn't just beat Tex easily but helped the rest of the defensive unit.
  • Josh Kennedy kicking a bag was amazing to see live with that crowd & the occasion. What a super star he's been.
  • Nicks deserves some credit again for keeping the playing group on task. I also was happy with his use of Keays & midfield rotations. I've posted about it just above for more depth but maybe he's learning slowly?

The Bad:
  • Smith completely back to middle earth after a great week.
  • Milera did a couple nice things but output wasn't enough.
  • Tex was thoroughly beaten by Barass who is an outstanding defender and put serious work in. Regardless Tex wasn't tough enough yesterday so probably his worst match in 2 years.
  • Jones did a couple very nice things but struggled to get involved again. Really hope we see a Fogarty moment with him soon where it just starts to all click because his yo-yoing between doing ok & doing little is a bit frustrating.

The Ugly:
  • Will Hamills 6th concussion, surely he starts to wear a helmet in the hope it slows these up?
  • Butts had a shocker, probably didn't get the team help on Kennedy he needed but just looked lost out there. End of the year probably can't come fast enough for him.
  • Himmelbergs first half, looked like he was barely trying.

All in all I was really pleased with the performance. Few players down, more or less senior guys too but we found a way to win in Perth despite everything happening around us for the week.

Now to see if we can get 3 in a row against the Roos this week.
Schoenberg!

I'm in the anti-tank brigade. Playing to lose is just wrong.

If Richmond beat Hawthorn, Essendon beat Port and we beat North (all favourites to win) there will be Port, Hawthorn, Essendon and Adelaide all on 8 wins.

R23 has Essendon against Richmond, Hawks against the Dogs, and of course the Showdown. Could still see us as high as 12th.

I won't mind if we win out and Hawks or Dons push us back to 13th for a better draft pick and (in theory) better draw for next year given the bottom six tend to get mostly other bottom six sides to play twice. Of course we will always get two Showdowns. But that is not tanking.
I’m always anti tank, but in all likelihood we lose our first pick anyway, so absolutely zero harm in getting as high up the ladder as possible.

We could finish higher than Port. That’d be huge.

What do you think McHenry's ceiling is?
Mmmm? .....probably in the Liam Baker category from Richmond .....a player that gives 100% every week and will sacrifice for the team ....Baker is highly respected at RICH

Back