Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Brisbane for #48 and F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would be a perfect fit for Melbourne. There’s no point in us lowballing him as we won’t get compensation in the likelihood that we get Amon.

Kicked another 5 goals today, unrestricted free agent

Hawks yet to offer a deal, surely other clubs put something in front of Gunston to come over for free

Gunston already turned down the chance to play for Brisbane last year and Collingwood the year before. Despite being told to explore his options he still didn’t want to leave. He isn’t leaving now.

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gunston already turned down the chance to play for Brisbane last year and Collingwood the year before. Despite being told to explore his options he still didn’t want to leave. He isn’t leaving now.
No he didn’t Lions never chased Gunston last year our cap was pretty full. The Lions were only after a back up ruckman

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I was just listening to The Round so Far on afl.com and Kane Cornes said in a bit of a throw away line while reviewing the Hawks v Suns game that he is hearing Jack Gunston to the Lions.

Would be a handy replacement and an upgrade on the Magpie bound Dan McStay.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was just listening to The Round so Far on afl.com and Kane Cornes said in a bit of a throw away line while reviewing the Hawks v Suns game that he is hearing Jack Gunston to the Lions.

Lions would want to trade to avoid killing McStays Compensation and I'm sure Hawthorn would love the Lions first pick. How Hawthorn get the points to make a trade worth while... well that would be hard.

Last edited:

I think Kane used some poetic license from a “who would fit your team” article in the HUN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate your first mistake was listening to kane cornes rofl.

Only reason why Hawthorn would let Gunston go is if they wanted/needed to clear SC space, I don't see why there is any logical reason why they would let him go, still had at least 2 good seasons of footy left in him IMO.
Only reason they would let Gunston go is to get a pick at a specific point in the draft or for a player who is not yet established, from a club that would trade for Gunston to protect their own FA compo(like Lions with McStay for example).

We’re in no need to move him on for cap space.

Only reason they would let Gunston go is to get a pick at a specific point in the draft or for a player who is not yet established, from a club that would trade for Gunston to protect their own FA compo(like Lions with McStay for example).

We’re in no need to move him on for cap space.

He's unrestricted though so ultimately it will be about whether he wants to stay or go (i suspect he wants to stay).

He's unrestricted though so ultimately it will be about whether he wants to stay or go (i suspect he wants to stay).
Does the unrestricted nature of his FA status mean Lions compo would not be affected?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Hopefully we offer him 2 years and he accepts.

Has proven this season how valuable he can be to the development of a young side.

There is every chance McEvoy, Shiels and Hartigan aren't on the list next season. We need to retain some wise heads and experience.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does the unrestricted nature of his FA status mean Lions compo would not be affected?
Still reduces their compo. Hope we keep him to mentor our young talls but if not Bris F1 for Gunston plus our 3rd rnd (pick 44 ish)? They get more points this year to help pay for their two 1st round father son mids and we get another first to help the rebuild.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still reduces their compo. Hope we keep him to mentor our young talls but if not Bris F1 for Gunston plus our 3rd rnd (pick 44 ish)? They get more points this year to help pay for their two 1st round father son mids and we get another first to help the rebuild.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Brisbane aren’t interested in Gunston

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only reason why Hawthorn would let Gunston go is if they wanted/needed to clear SC space, I don't see why there is any logical reason why they would let him go, still had at least 2 good seasons of footy left in him IMO.
Which is funny, because even considering Amon and the fact if we keep all of Mitchell, O'Meara & Wingard, we'll still be borderline on them minimum cap space spent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back