Review Round 21, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Attended the game but have not watched the replay yet
At 3/4 time i made a comment to my daughter
So far so good i just want us to win contested possession in the last.
That will indicate commentment irrespesctive of goals scored by each team
At 3/4 time contested possession was dead even (can't recall the number) which indicated Carlton were putting in a effort but way behind on scoreboard
Contested possession ended up Carlton's way 138 to Lions 137 .
So, only 1 difference in contested possession in the last. So our guys effort was there but Carlton outscored us by 24 points
We kicked 114 points which is the most any team has kicked playing Carlton this year. Freemantle the next best with 97

Very happy with the win just need to knock off the Saints next week. They have their season on the line so it won't be easy
Winning away is always harder. Our record this year is 5 and 5 so need to get on the positive side of the ledger

It’s a little hard to remonstrate when there was no free kick called and the game is still rolling.

I also thought we did remonstrate, they just didn't show it because as mentioned the umpire bizarrely didn't pay a free kick. Us becoming a bit Cripps focused after the incident was part of why they got that 3 goal run on.

Thought it was actually mature the team reigned it in when they realised the momentum shifted.

Did anyone else think Hipwood may be starting to announce himself again after last weekend and this weekend? He's still missing some very gettable goals but there is a lot of positive signs IMO.

Last 6-8 games he's been kicking goal and taking contested marks in each game.

He looks back to his usual self. Just needs to fix up those easy set shots

I also thought we did remonstrate, they just didn't show it because as mentioned the umpire bizarrely didn't pay a free kick. Us becoming a bit Cripps focused after the incident was part of why they got that 3 goal run on.

Thought it was actually mature the team reigned it in when they realised the momentum shifted.
It certainly sparked up the game for a 5-10 minute period after.

I'll very much cop that I am harsh on this team. I am the way I am because we've been top 4 for the last 4 seasons and have nothing to show for it. I think they're capable of doing better. I don't know if they want it enough. The feeling is they're happy just winning a lot. Surely straight set losses last season burns you but it doesn't seem to have changed them at all.
Top 4 for the last 2 seasons is pretty outstanding in my opinion. 1 out of 18 win a flag each year and they are very difficult to qualify in one let alone win one. I also believe our best window of opportunity to win one is 2023 /2024. Not that I think we are incapable of winning it this year should we play our best footy on the day but our club went from boiled lollies to chockies very quickly...finals footy is very different to home & away games & we are now building experience in finals footy which is invaluable for our young guns. If you think we should be better in finals, imagine how Geelong fans must feel playing in final series for more than a decade with no silverware.
You are so wrong with that comment.

Top 4 for the last 2 seasons is pretty outstanding in my opinion. 1 out of 18 win a flag each year and they are very difficult to qualify in one let alone win one. I also believe our best window of opportunity to win one is 2023 /2024. Not that I think we are incapable of winning it this year should we play our best footy on the day but our club went from boiled lollies to chockies very quickly...finals footy is very different to home & away games & we are now building experience in finals footy which is invaluable for our young guns. If you think we should be better in finals, imagine how Geelong fans must feel playing in final series for more than a decade with no silverware.
You are so wrong with that comment.

Yes horrible and we've been making fun of Geelong for a while about it

Eric has been good. Didn’t think his set shots yesterday were necessarily sodas and he missed by a very small margin from what I could see at the ground.

I mentioned yesterday that we have a few players who have been finding some form over the past few weeks.

Yes two players remonstrated briefly, Dizzy and one other, who were closest to it. See the photo on the MRO article on the AFL website.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This time of the year lots of players play in pain. Get up and do it the next week.
Then someone will say X player useless now.
Some weeks they get through the game with less pain. Others it effects them more.
Our BF Posters would be stunned knowing the injuries our players take into games week after week...its part of the game they play like you say.

I understand modern footy most teams have good patches.
What you do against the tide to stop it bleeding too much helps when it is your turn.
We had lots of good games where we withheld the storm.
The last 8 weeks with injuries and players carrying things and form.
honestly I do worry when teams turn it on we struggle at times to not let the dam burst open.

I really like to get some younger legs in if we can. I think with injuries etc some players struggling with a full game.

I thought we did remonstrate with Carlton players but the fact that Cal got onto his knees and looked like he could get up made it look not as bad as it was.

We were sufficiently upset that we lost focus on the footy for the next 10 minutes and it seemed to inspire them.

Ironically it potentially helps us if he doesn't get rubbed out. But he will.

Big O had a ripper. His best one I have witnessed. If he can keep this form into the remainder of August and September, our midfield will improve out of sight. He looks fresher than ever before unlike other years when he has been the only genuine ruckman week after week. Fort coming in & out of the team (especially early in the season) has been a master stroke by the coaching staff.

Our BF Posters would be stunned knowing the injuries our players take into games week after week...its part of the game they play like you say.
A few of my fav players been off this year. I often say wonder what they carrying.
Lyons, Harris, Adams, Rich and Zorko.
Berry and Joe's shoulders more obvious.
Even Oscar not looked quite right since last year.
Probably say they all carrying stuff.
Poor Dizzy looks in pain some weeks all the talk he get traded.. I worry he actually play on and have body problems later in life.
Talk to a lot of ex AFL players and their bodies totally stuffed after AFL.
Wonder if some should of stopped earlier.

A few of my fav players been off this year. I often say wonder what they carrying.
Lyons, Harris, Adams, Rich and Zorko.
Berry and Joe's shoulders more obvious.
Even Oscar not looked quite right since last year.
Probably say they all carrying stuff.
Poor Dizzy looks in pain some weeks all the talk he get traded.. I worry he actually play on and have body problems later in life.
Talk to a lot of ex AFL players and their bodies totally stuffed after AFL.
Wonder if some should of stopped earlier.
8 out of the 9 you mention have been carrying injuries for 3 games or more this season. There are probably another 6-7 players (not mentioned) who have also had to manage niggles week after week. It's part of being an elite athlete who play AFL at the highest level.

Did anyone else think Hipwood may be starting to announce himself again after last weekend and this weekend? He's still missing some very gettable goals but there is a lot of positive signs IMO.
As my companion and I have been observing for ages his problem is his run up. He does the Michael Holding run up of about 50m no matter the spot as he did on Sunday from c25m out. Needs Brownie to have a chat.

As for those lauding Rayner on yesterdays effort- seriously????

Our most improved- the Big O. His best for ages.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

As my companion and I have been observing for ages his problem is his run up. He does the Michael Holding run up of about 50m no matter the spot as he did on Sunday from c25m out. Needs Brownie to have a chat.

As for those lauding Rayner on yesterdays effort- seriously????

Our most improved- the Big O. His best for ages.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Say what you like, but Rayner was very impressive yesterday. He was across 9 scoring involvements for our team and kept bobbing up in the middle. He fed Keidean streaming past at least twice or thrice. Limited possessions but big impact yesterday. Good game.

Say what you like, but Rayner was very impressive yesterday. He was across 9 scoring involvements for our team and kept bobbing up in the middle. He fed Keidean streaming past at least twice or thrice. Limited possessions but big impact yesterday. Good game.
Not enough Dream Team Points

Therefore spud.

Am I doing this right?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very happy with the win just need to knock off the Saints next week. They have their season on the line so it won't be easy
Winning away is always harder. Our record this year is 5 and 5 so need to get on the positive side of the ledger
notably in our run home we've had a few teams willing to throw the kitchen sink at us with finals on the line

gold coast, carlton, richmond and now saints

if we can win against saints we've done pretty well when we are probably still leaving a little on the table to really peak in finals, whilst our opponents have to be playing in overdrive to even get there

Back