R Harvey
McLeod

Buckley, Hird and Voss unlucky?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
That is exactly my point. An enormous 2017 (still not the best I have seen) and great finals but just not consistent enough during the year.

So the other stuff doesn’t outweigh 1-2 more AAs. Really? Tough critic.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
So will you concede that Fyfe is a better player than Dusty - given he has 0.98 Brownlow votes per game vs Dusty's 0.82 - and the fact he is only 15 overall votes behind despite playing 54 games less. That plus Fyfe's two Brownlow's (which clearly are more relevant to overall greatness than a Norm Smith) and a third where he was rubbed out for an accidental head clash.
So it's down to umps to inform you how good a player is?

ROAR!

Please, take me away, anywhere!

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
So will you concede that Fyfe is a better player than Dusty - given he has 0.98 Brownlow votes per game vs Dusty's 0.82 - and the fact he is only 15 overall votes behind despite playing 54 games less. That plus Fyfe's two Brownlow's (which clearly are more relevant to overall greatness than a Norm Smith) and a third where he was rubbed out for an accidental head clash.

Nope, didn’t achieve more than Dusty in other areas. I’m using Brownlow votes because people are saying he isn’t consistent. He’s the 9th most consistent player in the history of the game according to the Brownlow vote tally. Apparently 1-2 more AAs is worth more than 3 norm smiths and Gary Ayes medals. It’s sad what people believe sometimes. Pick on one thing and disregard everything else he’s done.

Fyfe is better in H&A. But 3 extra norm smiths and 3 Gary ayes medals doesn’t outweigh 1 extra Brownlow imo. Dusty also has an extra AA.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Personally I think Dean Cox has been largely ignored and is still better than Max Gawn - but you're not seeing me getting precious about Gawn being rated higher by posters.

Opinions are like assholes - everyone has them and they are often full of s**t.

Let’s ban discussion forums then.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
So it's down to umps to inform you how good a player is?

ROAR!

Please, take me away, anywhere!
Sorry - I was being facetious - given Falcon's scattergun approach to making an argument - he (I'm assuming a he) had ventured into a Brownlow votes = greatness argument and I was challenging this with an argument that Richmond fans always baulk at because their lovechild Dusty only has one of those types of medal.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
That is exactly my point. An enormous 2017 (still not the best I have seen) and great finals but just not consistent enough during the year.

Also just to let you know. GAS 4 AAs, Lethal 1 AA, Lockett 5 AA. You must not rate these guys at all either then. You’re a joke buddy. Pies v Tigers rivalry from the 80s is still going on in your mind, no rivalry anymore mate. Get over it.

Also forgot Simon black 3 AA, Fyfe 3 AA, Voss 5 AA. Really have no clue at all.

Oops sorry another edit, Goodes 4 AA, Akermanis 4 AA.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry - I was being facetious - given Falcon's scattergun approach to making an argument - he (I'm assuming a he) had ventured into a Brownlow votes = greatness argument and I was challenging this with an argument that Richmond fans always baulk at because their lovechild Dusty only has one of those types of medal.

Your love child has done f all in finals mate. I know what I’d prefer. He’s more consistent in H&A too with an extra AA over Fyfe

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Your love child has done f all in finals mate. I know what I’d prefer. He’s more consistent in H&A too with an extra AA over Fyfe

I knew I was going to regret making a comment and risk getting sucked in - but you can't have your cake and eat it. Namely, you can't argue (as you have done over the last few pages) that average number of Brownlow votes equals consistency over a season and then change your argument to another measure (in this case number of AAs) when your first measure doesn't make the argument for your man.

Anyway - this thread is on Top 50 of a person's watching life - given I've only been watching AFL since 2014 (when I moved to Australia) then if it pleases you I am happy to say Dusty sits in my Top 5.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth

Martin is an elite user of the ball. Fyfe could only be described as an average ball user. You would want either on your team but if you co0uld only take one of them it would be Martin every day of the week in my opinion. I understand you would not agree with that.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Btw, just an opinion but I think it is criminal if anybody’s list doesn’t have Dusty in the top 10 at a minimum. Bloke is gonna have a statue either at the MCG or Punt Road one day.
I reckon he's already got a statue in your bedroom, and that's probably the only place there's gonna be one sorry.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Martin is an elite user of the ball. Fyfe could only be described as an average ball user. You would want either on your team but if you co0uld only take one of them it would be Martin every day of the week in my opinion. I understand you would not agree with that.
As I said in the message you replied to - I was arguing against Falcon's premise that Average Brownlow votes is a good measure of greatness - by naming someone with a better average and asking if he conceded that Fyfe was better than Dusty because of the measure he was using.

For what it's worth, I think a combination of injury, playing half your career in a rebuilding team and playing outside of Victoria will rob Fyfe from most GOAT arguments. And I don't watch enough of other teams to argue anyone is the greatest.

So please can this not descend into a Fyfe vs Dusty argument (there are plenty of other threads in BF that effectively go in the same loop of arguing between number of Brownlow's and average Brownlow votes vs number of Premierships and Norm Smiths).

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I knew I was going to regret making a comment and risk getting sucked in - but you can't have your cake and eat it. Namely, you can't argue (as you have done over the last few pages) that average number of Brownlow votes equals consistency over a season and then change your argument to another measure (in this case number of AAs) when your first measure doesn't make the argument for your man.

Anyway - this thread is on Top 50 of a person's watching life - given I've only been watching AFL since 2014 (when I moved to Australia) then if it pleases you I am happy to say Dusty sits in my Top 5.

You look at both AAs and Brownlow votes. Im not saying Dusty is the most consistent. Im just saying he does have consistency, enough to contend with the other blokes at least. He is still elite in H&A, and if you combine it with his finals record he launches over many players imo.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
1]. GAS.

Then you can argue the rest.

GAJ is better. Not to start up a whole fuss about it again but in my opinion not having a flag disqualifies you from the No 1 spot. He can be as high as 2nd though which is where I have him, can’t have a GOAT without a flag, our sport would be a laughing stock. If he won the 89 GF I’d have him No 1. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be, most freak talent though.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was at Subiaco oval on a Tuesday afternoon watching one of the best State of Origin games ever. There were superstars everywhere, EXCEPT this bloke, only in his second season and had only plaid about a dozen AFL games, Ablett kicked 8 from the forward flank and was easily BOG.
Some of those 8 goals were kicked from a fair way out as well.
And Gazza took a huge pack mark that day at the Subi end of the ground that was far, far better than the "almost" one that always makes the top 50.

5 great players that haven't really copped a mention so far are Ross Glendinning, Super Boot Bernie, Gary Wilson, Paul Kelly and Robbie Flower.
And I know Gary Lyons cops a lot of flack on BF but he was a top-shelf footballer.
Too many to list really.

Also just to let you know. GAS 4 AAs, Lethal 1 AA, Lockett 5 AA. You must not rate these guys at all either then. You’re a joke buddy. Pies v Tigers rivalry from the 80s is still going on in your mind, no rivalry anymore mate. Get over it.

Also forgot Simon black 3 AA, Fyfe 3 AA, Voss 5 AA. Really have no clue at all.

Oops sorry another edit, Goodes 4 AA, Akermanis 4 AA.

So I have 4 Carlton players and 2 Richmond players in my top 20 and I am being biased. I tell you something, Martin would not be in my top 50. He does not come close to the Greats.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
So I have 4 Carlton players and 2 Richmond players in my top 20 and I am being biased. I tell you something, Martin would not be in my top 50. He does not come close to the Greats.

Martin not in your top 50? Jesus. And they call me crazy. You gonna admit he has consistency with 4 AAs it’s as much as GAS. You couldn’t seem to rebut it from your last comment hahah. I know why cause you can’t.

Uriel Tiger

Rookie
Aug 6, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
My top players that I liked (in no particular order), and that I seen play in my time going to the footy, of course I mostly watched the Tigers.

Maurice Rioli
Dale Weightman
Bryan Wood
Michael Roach
Mark Lee
Merv Keane
Jim Jess
Gary Wilson
Tony Morwood
Darren Jarman
Simon Madden
Terry Daniher
Tony Lockett
Mark Bayes
Gary Lyon
Matthew Knights
Michael Mitchell
David Honybun
Jason Akermanis
Geoff Raines
Barry Rowlings
Dermott Brereton
Darren Pritchard
Paul Van der Haar
Peter Knights
Ross Glendinning
Phil Krakouer
Jimmy Krakouer
Nicky Winmar
David Grant
Doug Hawkins
Peter Foster
Brian Royal
Bernie Quinlan
Michael Conlan
Alastair Lynch
Benny Gale
Michael Gale
Paul Broderick
Paul Bulluss
Stephen Kernahan
Craig Bradley
Wayne Johnson
Ken Hunter
Simon Black
Craig Lambert
Wayne Campbell
Trent Nicholls
Alan Didak
Dane Swan
Brian Taylor
Phil Egan
David Palm
John Annear
Trevor Poole
Mark Jackson
Warrick Capper
Silvio Foschini
Peter Riccardi
Matthew Pavlich
Alex Rance
Jack Reiwoldt
Dion Prestia
Shai Bolton
Dale Kickett
Chris Mainwaring

I can add more but I think that's enough

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In what way mate? How many more awards does he need to win?

No because I don’t need to see awards next to a player’s name to judge them, particularly when it comes to awards given for 80 minutes of football.

In that case it would be pretty easy to name a player and season better than Dusty’s 2017….

Ablett and Lockett’s 7+ goal a game seasons spring to mind

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
No because I don’t need to see awards next to a player’s name to judge them, particularly when it comes to awards given for 80 minutes of football.

Ablett and Lockett’s 7+ goal a game seasons spring to mind

Ah ok so it’s just a vibe thing then. Fair enough.

Back