Coach Don Pyke - over to the Eagles as new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Be a brave club to go down that camp path again

I don't get that sort of camp either. I mean what is the point of trying to mentally break down the players? Better to send the entire squad to Kakoda and walk the trail. Sure it is super tough but it is tough in a way where the team can bond and get closer.

I don't get that sort of camp either. I mean what is the point of trying to mentally break down the players? Better to send the entire squad to Kakoda and walk the trail. Sure it is super tough but it is tough in a way where the team can bond and get closer.

Yeah not sure

Guess its trying to go down that army war boot camp path, but thats more tasks, challenges etc

Honestly feel pretty uncomfortable with him at the club. I get he's a good tactician. But how would our players, particularly our young players who grew up idolising guys like Eddie Betts, be feeling about having Pyke as a coach?

His recent statement also felt a bit meh. Certainly better than Ricciuto's, but that's an incredibly low bar. Didn't feel like it really acknowledged the cause of the pain and his role in it, was more an "I'm sorry you feel that way". Maybe I'm being harsh but that was my vibe.

Point being - I don't like Pyke and if he was an assistant at any other club I'd be saying he shouldn't be in the AFL system at all after this. It would be hypocritical then to give him a pass because he happens to be a Swan now who has done good things for our gameplan.

Honestly feel pretty uncomfortable with him at the club. I get he's a good tactician. But how would our players, particularly our young players who grew up idolising guys like Eddie Betts, be feeling about having Pyke as a coach?

His recent statement also felt a bit meh. Certainly better than Ricciuto's, but that's an incredibly low bar. Didn't feel like it really acknowledged the cause of the pain and his role in it, was more an "I'm sorry you feel that way". Maybe I'm being harsh but that was my vibe.

Point being - I don't like Pyke and if he was an assistant at any other club I'd be saying he shouldn't be in the AFL system at all after this. It would be hypocritical then to give him a pass because he happens to be a Swan now who has done good things for our gameplan.

Would it be a Swans or AFL decision for him to part ways?

I am fine with him being a tactician at the club but I would avoid him being a manager of players if that makes sense.

While we are at it, we should get rid of one of our major sponsors too.

I think they knew that breaking people and bringing them back up can produce incredible results. But this generation don't respond well to that type of training anymore.

I think they knew that breaking people and bringing them back up can produce incredible results. But this generation don't respond well to that type of training anymore.
Listened to Robert Shaw talk about it on footyology. I don't think it's just generational thing, this sort of stuff wouldn't fly in the 80s either.

The point of this sort of thing is to go through struggle and come outhe other sie together. Lots of this camp sounded like it was designed to humiliate and isolate people from each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like collective minds were watching SAS Australia....thought that looks good we will rename it and make money off it.
Having 'counsellors' contact the players gathering personal information and then having that used against the players is disgraceful. And surely before they started this programme it would have been diligent of them to get a properly trained psychiatrist to review the whole thing.It would be obvious that different personalities would react differently to this sort of crap.
Just a really bad idea all around and because of the team building element of it no one felt bold enough to say no at the time.
Might be why Pyke has shied away from head coach roles if he knew that it was inevitable that there was more to come out of the camp.

Sounds like collective minds were watching SAS Australia....thought that looks good we will rename it and make money off it.
Having 'counsellors' contact the players gathering personal information and then having that used against the players is disgraceful. And surely before they started this programme it would have been diligent of them to get a properly trained psychiatrist to review the whole thing.It would be obvious that different personalities would react differently to this sort of crap.
Just a really bad idea all around and because of the team building element of it no one felt bold enough to say no at the time.
Might be why Pyke has shied away from head coach roles if he knew that it was inevitable that there was more to come out of the camp.
Might have seriously dented his self-confidence too. Totally agree. Club doctor's report hidden is a very bad sign.

Feels a bit like Buckley at Collingwood. A bunch of actions not intended to humiliate and isolate players followed up by an inability to listen and take on criticism, which was the kicker that made it ten times worse.

I reckon Jenkins and Lumumba both felt similar in speaking out about the crap that was going on, only to be being shut down and ostracised rather than listened to and respected for having the courage to speak up.

Don’t think Buckley still completely gets what he did wrong, though apparently he gets to sit on a couch and pass judgement on others…

Hard to tell with Pyke, I haven’t seen enough. His apology seemed better than Buckley’s at the least.

Feels a bit like Buckley at Collingwood. A bunch of actions not intended to humiliate and isolate players followed up by an inability to listen and take on criticism, which was the kicker that made it ten times worse.

I reckon Jenkins and Lumumba both felt similar in speaking out about the crap that was going on, only to be being shut down and ostracised rather than listened to and respected for having the courage to speak up.

Don’t think Buckley still completely gets what he did wrong, though apparently he gets to sit on a couch and pass judgement on others…

Hard to tell with Pyke, I haven’t seen enough. His apology seemed better than Buckley’s at the least.
Buckley hasn't copped nearly enough criticism and now gets to join the circle jerk of Fox Footy panelists toasting their own accomplishments. Sadly he represents the values of his current employers all too well.

Buckley hasn't copped nearly enough criticism and now gets to join the circle jerk of Fox Footy panelists toasting their own accomplishments. Sadly he represents the values of his current employers all too well.
There is a certain appeal of Collingwood winning a flag the instant Buckley is no longer involved with them. Most games as a combined player and coach for 0 flags

So Buckley is a normal human is what you're saying?

Is that camp crowd still in business???
Not sure, but how ironic is their name given no one wants to admit they were responsible, or as a committe/ board they were responsible….nothing collective about any of those minds. Can anyone think of a bigger miss in sport than this camp….the mind boggles, what was the pitch from the company and how did it ever get traction.

As if the power rangers stance wasn’t enough. The grand final was lost right there, no need for a camp to exorcise any demons, just get rid of every picture of that pathetic idea…again, how did people think that was a big, smart move…?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back