Preview Changes round 22 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

We really do love useless stats.
I just think it reinforces some of his improvement this year. No longer just beats up on the crap sides and goes missing against the good ones. Did the numbers a couple of weeks back, and his goals per game average was higher against top eight teams than bottom ten teams. Think that's still the case but I can't be bothered working it out again

I just think it reinforces some of his improvement this year. No longer just beats up on the crap sides and goes missing against the good ones. Did the numbers a couple of weeks back, and his goals per game average was higher against top eight teams than bottom ten teams. Think that's still the case but I can't be bothered working it out again
That would actually be a more useful stat.

That would actually be a more useful stat.
Ok, it's changed a bit due to the ladder over the past couple of weeks. Now averages 2.25 goals per game against both top eight teams and bottom ten teams (Bulldogs were in the eight last time I did the numbers).

We really do love useless stats.
Speaking of useless stats/info, the last time Carlton beat Melbourne:
  • Barack Obama was President of the United States
  • Vine still existed
  • Fidel Castro was still alive
  • Harvey Weinstein's allegations were another year away
  • Robert Mugabe was still President of Zimbabwe
  • Same-sex marriage was still illegal in Australia

Cripps appeal fails, original verdict of 2 weeks stands:

GUILTY

Patrick Cripps will miss Carlton's next two matches after the Tribunal upheld the suspension handed down by MRO Michael Christian.
Tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson said the incident fell into the "bumping of an opponent" category and it was not a reasonable way to contest the ball.
"He entered the contest at speed and saw a player in his peripheral vision, left his feet and bumped Ah Chee at high speed," Gleeson said.
"He should have contested the ball differently. He could have taken the ball with his arms outstretched so there was no act of bumping at all."

Cripps appeal fails, original verdict of 2 weeks stands:

GUILTY

Patrick Cripps will miss Carlton's next two matches after the Tribunal upheld the suspension handed down by MRO Michael Christian.
Tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson said the incident fell into the "bumping of an opponent" category and it was not a reasonable way to contest the ball.
"He entered the contest at speed and saw a player in his peripheral vision, left his feet and bumped Ah Chee at high speed," Gleeson said.
"He should have contested the ball differently. He could have taken the ball with his arms outstretched so there was no act of bumping at all."
Damn, I was really hoping we’d get some flog commentator give us the Petracca v Cripps inside bull analysis.

Just saw it for the first time, didn't even look as bad as the one Viney did to Hurn and got away with. Like he was going the ball and changed to bump late. Guessing another injury driving the punishment piece of muppetry. ah well stiff s**t I guess Carlton.

Just saw it for the first time, didn't even look as bad as the one Viney did to Hurn and got away with. Like he was going the ball and changed to bump late. Guessing another injury driving the punishment piece of muppetry. ah well stiff s**t I guess Carlton.
Pretty sure Viney reached his hands out, not even sure why but I kinda agree with this one. I was fine with rioli getting off early in the year. This one felt a little more like he took a chance to flatten someone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Viney reached his hands out, not even sure why but I kinda agree with this one. I was fine with rioli getting off early in the year. This one felt a little more like he took a chance to flatten someone
Could be, i didn't go back and watch a heap of times and couldn't really see Cripps approach. Viney had enough plausible deniability which was smart but it was a payback for a hit a little earlier. Do you reckon Cripps would have got rubbed out if the other bloke was fine?

Could be, i didn't go back and watch a heap of times and couldn't really see Cripps approach. Viney had enough plausible deniability which was smart but it was a payback for a hit a little earlier. Do you reckon Cripps would have got rubbed out if the other bloke was fine?
Nah no chance would have got a fine maybe.

Absolutely ridiculous that the outcome dictates the punishment, and not the action.

Re-watching the Viney one now, there are some definite similarities, but critically Viney actually won the ball with his arms stretched towards the ball and was at the ball at about the same time as Hurn, maybe a fraction slower.

Crippa didn't extend his arms to actually win the ball and didn't win the ball in the end. Just jumped off the ground and braced, which is essentially going the bump if you're not trying to handle the ball.

Also AFL has tied itself in a knot with this punishing the outcome not the action thing. Seeya Crippa.

EDIT: Lol from the other angle Viney actually doesn't touch the ball either, but at least has his arms stretched out trying to win the ball.

Last edited:
Speaking of useless stats/info, the last time Carlton beat Melbourne:
  • Barack Obama was President of the United States
  • Vine still existed
  • Fidel Castro was still alive
  • Harvey Weinstein's allegations were another year away
  • Robert Mugabe was still President of Zimbabwe
  • Same-sex marriage was still illegal in Australia
What the * is/was Vine?

Listening to the Goody presser and he's confident with the team/personnel we've got currently, we just need to 'execute' better.

Don't think we will be seeing any of the changes we are looking for with a Laurie/JVR debut.

Time will tell. If we come out and thump Carlton then get it done up in Brissy, we are right back in the mix with a very strong end to the year on the whole.

If we limp into finals then we probably won't be able to knock off the Cats in finals anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back