Vale Herb Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I am aware Mantis, all the club posted on FB was a few paragraphs and the same Whitten/Sutton/Henderson photo I posted above.
Game was on 6 August. They had the whole week.
In the same period, they posted:
  • multiple Sam Darcy posts (understandable)
  • a ton of retro round posts of current players, past players, the 97 game at VUWO, photos from the 90s
  • Daniel game #150 (also understandable)

But they couldn't recognise, at a home game, along with peak Brian Lake, probably the best full back the club has ever produced

Several people have also commented about no recognition of Herb on a FB post after Saturday's game.
That is really sad. I saw the story on the website but literally nothing on Instagram. Someone appears to have massively dropped the ball on this one.

Here is another great photo of Herb from the archives...

HH.png

I have no clue as the why we didn't wear the armbands or do anything more significant. There certainly has been a lot of discussion and tributes in our Past Players group which is run by Ross Abbey who does a terrific job with our past players and keeping everyone as well as the club informed of any news.

But there are no excuses for not wearing an armband and frankly our media team is far behind the 8 ball on just about everything these days that it's embarrassing.

Here is another great photo of Herb from the archives...

View attachment 1470704

I have no clue as the why we didn't wear the armbands or do anything more significant. There certainly has been a lot of discussion and tributes in our Past Players group which is run by Ross Abbey who does a terrific job with our past players and keeping everyone as well as the club informed of any news.

But there are no excuses for not wearing an armband and frankly our media team is far behind the 8 ball on just about everything these days that it's embarrassing.
Thanks OG, love that photo. I've got a lesser quality copy from a newspaper years ago, but this one is better. I'm going to get it printed, then - straight to the pool room!

Thanks OG, love that photo. I've got a lesser quality copy from a newspaper years ago, but this one is better. I'm going to get it printed, then - straight to the pool room!

If you need a high res copy Ross Abbey will likely have a copy as he is the curator of all our historical photos. Believe he's contactable on FB.

Incidentally to add to your post on the previous page here are the 10 oldest V/AFL Bulldog players who are still alive or missing a DOD in the AFL/club database...

Billy Leahy (40 games, 1934-36)
07/03/1911 -

Jim Miller (131 games, 1938-48)
30/05/1919 -

Bob Reid (19 games, 1948-49)
08/06/1924 -

Angus Abbey
(78 games, 1949-54)
15/11/1925 -

Frank McRae (45 games, 1950-54)
03/08/1927 - 2007 exact date needed

Bernie Laffey (4 games, 1949)
03/03/1928 -

Tom Miller (34 games, 1947-1950)
03/07/1928 -

Norm Edwards (3 games, 1950-51)
23/10/1928 -

John Barrett (32 games, 1950-53)
21/12/1928 -

Lindsay Baglin (1 game, 1947)
02/03/1929 -

I was, barely, alive during the Herb Henderson days and those of his team mates, Wally Donald, Harvey Stevens, Jack Collins (my favourite), John Kerr, 'Ted Whitten, Don Ross. They enjoyed accolades for 62 years. Don't pot the current Board for allowing those blokes to enjoy their golden years in peace and obscurity. They came to our club to play footy and they did. Do your job, accept your pay and gratitude, don't go looking for effusive praises, that's the Footscray way.

I was, barely, alive during the Herb Henderson days and those of his team mates, Wally Donald, Harvey Stevens, Jack Collins (my favourite), John Kerr, 'Ted Whitten, Don Ross. They enjoyed accolades for 62 years. Don't pot the current Board for allowing those blokes to enjoy their golden years in peace and obscurity. They came to our club to play footy and they did. Do your job, accept your pay and gratitude, don't go looking for effusive praises, that's the Footscray way.
😳

Wearing the black armband is "effusive praise"?

How does a gesture of respect take anything away from their 'peace and obscurity' ?

😳

Wearing the black armband is "effusive praise"?

How does a gesture of respect take anything away from their 'peace and obscurity' ?
It isn't and doesn't. Perhaps I expressed badly my description of what I recall as or attribute to the modest demeanour and outlook of our players of that era, they would be embarrassed by the adulation and publicity afforded current players. If the Club had chosen to have the players wear a black arm band, that would have been a nice gesture but encouragement of Richmondesque behaviour like confronting Bains with black tape or expressions like "there are no excuses for not wearing an armband" presuppose an obligation on the Club to have players wear black armbands upon the death of former players.

Last edited:
It isn't and doesn't. Perhaps I expressed badly my description of what I recall as or attribute to the modest demeanour and outlook of our players of that era, they would be embarrassed by the adulation and publicity afforded current players. If the Club had chosen to have the players wear a black arm band, that would have been a nice gesture but the encouragement of Richmondesque behaviour like confronting Bains with black tape or expressions like "there are no excuses for not wearing an armband" presupposes an obligation on the Club to have supporters wear black armbands upon the death of former players.
Jack Collins and EJ laugh at this statement

If the Club had chosen to have the players wear a black arm band, that would have been a nice gesture but the encouragement of Richmondesque behaviour like confronting Bains with black tape or expressions like "there are no excuses for not wearing an armband" presupposes an obligation on the Club to have supporters wear black armbands upon the death of former players.
Sorry not quite understanding this part of your post. Has anyone called for the club to ask supporters to wear black armbands? Maybe I missed that. But imo the club should have had the players wear them. A club that honours and respects past players is the type of club I want us to be.
Also the club should acknowledge the error by issuing a statement confirming that we do honour our players of the past and appreciate their efforts.

Jack Collins and EJ laugh at this statement
I don't think either would. Whitten's larger than life persona developed well after the 50s and even more so after his retirement. Collins retired in 1958, I don't recall him as being terribly immodest, even post retirement. But even if you are right, that's 2 among many.

It isn't and doesn't. Perhaps I expressed badly my description of what I recall as or attribute to the modest demeanour and outlook of our players of that era, they would be embarrassed by the adulation and publicity afforded current players. If the Club had chosen to have the players wear a black arm band, that would have been a nice gesture but encouragement of Richmondesque behaviour like confronting Bains with black tape or expressions like "there are no excuses for not wearing an armband" presuppose an obligation on the Club to have players wear black armbands upon the death of former players.
I gather it was meant as a joke that the club be presented with black tape to use but yes I think the players should wear black armbands in such circumstances and would be surprised if any would object to it

I don't think either would. Whitten's larger than life persona developed well after the 50s and even more so after his retirement. Collins retired in 1958, I don't recall him as being terribly immodest, even post retirement. But even if you are right, that's 2 among many.

For Gods sake man , just say Yeah we should have worn black arm bands .
You know just like we do with any other major contributors of the club that have passed on.

Last edited:
Sorry not quite understanding this part of your post. Has anyone called for the club to ask supporters to wear black armbands? Maybe I missed that. But imo the club should have had the players wear them. A club that honours and respects past players is the type of club I want us to be.
Also the club should acknowledge the error by issuing a statement confirming that we do honour our players of the past and appreciate their efforts.
You got in before my correction. The failure to instruct players to wear an arm band following the death of one player doesn't mean that it fails to "honour and respect" past players at all, that's a very limited view of honour and respect. Last time I was at the club, there were plenty of memorabilia, photos, portraits, written acknowledgments, names on lockers etc. it's absurd to accuse the Club of not paying honour and respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except that it does fail to respect and honour the player if the way we respect and honour the player upon his death is to wear a black armband in the next match after his death.
Given we haven’t heard anything from the club to confirm that the wearing of a black arm band by the players is the way the Dogs do it maybe I have it wrong. I hope not.

For Gods sake man , just say Yeah we should have wore black arm bands .
You know just like we do with any other manor contributors of the club that have passed on.

Yeah we should have it would have been a nice gesture if the players had woren black arm bands. .
Except that it does fail to respect and honour the player if the way we respect and honour the player upon his death is to wear a black armband in the next match after his death.
Given we haven’t heard anything from the club to confirm that the wearing of a black arm band by the players is the way the Dogs do it maybe I have it wrong. I hope not.

If wearing a black band the week following the death of a former player was/is the way the Club does it, you'd have a point. That can't be case, otherwise black bands would be worn frequently, it's rare. The Club has been known to have players wear black bands on the death of non players who have served. Look how many have played for the club

[URL}https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...dia.org/wiki/List_of_Western_Bulldogs_players[/URL]

It's ad hoc. If it is ad hoc, you can't criticise, if it's the practice, you can.

Last edited:
Yeah we should have it would have been a nice gesture if the players had woren black arm bands. .

If wearing a black band the week following the death of a former player was/is the way the Club does it, you'd have a point. That can't be case, otherwise black bands would be worn frequently, it's rare. The Club has been known to have players wear black bands on the death of non players who have served the club. It's ad hoc. If it is ad hoc, you can't criticise, if it's the practice, you can.

good man 👍
Peace Brother 🌼😎

I think it's an absolute disgrace the club couldn't organise a simple small gesture. I'm afraid the whole innards of the place is turning out the way the actual suburb is. Failing to acknowledge it's roots and heritage. Losing it's 'feel' for cheaply built structure just to make a quick buck. Maybe the council have taken over the running of the club as well....

There's a tribute from the club in today's death notices in the Herald Sun.
Any chance you could scan and post, D13 ? I'm too frightened to buy the Hun, someone might see me and think I'm reading Wilson or Barrett

Last edited:
I think it's an absolute disgrace the club couldn't organise a simple small gesture. I'm afraid the whole innards of the place is turning out the way the actual suburb is. Failing to acknowledge it's roots and heritage. Losing it's 'feel' for cheaply built structure just to make a quick buck. Maybe the council have taken over the running of the club as well....
Would Dog 13's tribute published in the Hun be enough, NBates ? Nothing stays the same, the Club evolves and it isn't all bad. You could start the the greatest mega-thread in the history of the internet with your post.

Just listening to the salty bulldog. They rang club whose policy is not to wear black armbands for specific people, but wear one black armband to represent all at end of season (last home game). This policy is under review.

So you're telling me there was no black armband when Ted Whitten or Charlie Sutton died? Or is this a recent policy because some 1 gamer who was on for 2 minutes missed out and they got a complaint?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just listening to the salty bulldog. They rang club whose policy is not to wear black armbands for specific people, but wear one black armband to represent all at end of season (last home game). This policy is under review.

So you're telling me there was no black armband when Ted Whitten or Charlie Sutton died? Or is this a recent policy because some 1 gamer who was on for 2 minutes missed out and they got a complaint?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for letting us know that.
Well done to the club for posting the notice.

If you need a high res copy Ross Abbey will likely have a copy as he is the curator of all our historical photos. Believe he's contactable on FB.

Incidentally to add to your post on the previous page here are the 10 oldest V/AFL Bulldog players who are still alive or missing a DOD in the AFL/club database...

Billy Leahy (40 games, 1934-36)
07/03/1911 -

Jim Miller (131 games, 1938-48)
30/05/1919 -

Bob Reid (19 games, 1948-49)
08/06/1924 -

Angus Abbey (78 games, 1949-54)
15/11/1925 -

Frank McRae (45 games, 1950-54)
03/08/1927 - 2007 exact date needed

Bernie Laffey (4 games, 1949)
03/03/1928 -

Tom Miller (34 games, 1947-1950)
03/07/1928 -

Norm Edwards (3 games, 1950-51)
23/10/1928 -

John Barrett (32 games, 1950-53)
21/12/1928 -

Lindsay Baglin (1 game, 1947)
02/03/1929 -
Oliver Gigacz - Angus Abbey and Jim Miller are definitely still alive per the snapshot from a recent Footy Record I posted earlier.

(Thanks, I've got Ross Abbey's phone number btw.)

Angus Abbey is now the longest lived of our 1954 premiership players at 96.

There's this thread:

I think from the OP in that thread we've since lost Sutton, Henderson, Stevens, Bryden and Box, which would leave only:

• Abbey (96)
  • Reynolds (88)
  • Ross (88)
  • Stockman 87 (turning 88 in a week or so)
  • and Gallagher (91) as surviving members of that team.

Also from your list, Bill Leahy was a gun centreman for Coburg in the early 30s, had a number of VFL clubs chasing him. Not sure how we ended up with him.

I've got a couple of cards in my collection from that era featuring Bill, two Coburg ones, and one a Footscray one. Mine are secured offsite atm, but these are what they look like:

1933 Wills Cigarette card (mass produced) front and back:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1933 Giant Brand Licorice confectionery card (used the same source photo as the Wills card) front and back with club colours:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1935 Hoadleys Chocolates confectionery card, featuring the single season striped Footscray jumper:

loadImg.php

Remove this Banner Ad

Back