Preview Round 22 - St.Kilda v Brisbane Lions Friday 12th August.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if we lose i have a very scary premonition that we might be seeing a lot of posts surrounding a frog like figure........
I like Payne and I hope he plays well, but my fear is that he gets caught behind too frequently and for a player with a big body, there are too many contests where he makes no physical impact. He also, like Adams, is prone to panicking in a tight spot. In his favour is Fagan’s preference for at least one Brutus Beefcake type in defence each week.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I like Payne and I hope he plays well, but my fear is that he gets caught behind too frequently and for a player with a big body, there are too many contests where he makes no physical impact. He also, like Adams, is prone to panicking in a tight spot. In his favour is Fagan’s preference for at least one Brutus Beefcake type in defence each week.
I think Payne's size and athleticism give him quite the advantage on Lester. In a pinch he can go with King or Marshall when they're forward, would hate to think about what King could do if Froggy or even Gardiner had to man him for an extended period of time.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
Be interesting to see if Joe spends some time a bit further up field & Dan gets deep behind the ball again like last week, seemed to work.

payne has been pretty solid with his disposal when hes been in this year, think his only real blemish was when he had to play a lone hand against wright and couldnt contain him but hes made big strides this year. think he will be a gun when his defensive craft improves, has all the attributes needed to make it

As much as your Chappelli-esque manner of banging on about something until people want to bang their head on something grates, if I was picking this week, I'd go Lester over Payne. If St Kilda were playing two ruckmen, I'd go Payne, but I don't see a gorilla is a must against them. I also don't ilke Payne's lack of confidence in D50 stoppages or after marking contests. Then again, if Andrews goes down it potentially leaves us short. Who'd be a selector?

Helicon1

Senior List
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
wrestlemania vi wrestling GIF by WWE

payne has been pretty solid with his disposal when hes been in this year, think his only real blemish was when he had to play a lone hand against wright and couldnt contain him but hes made big strides this year. think he will be a gun when his defensive craft improves, has all the attributes needed to make it
I agree - I just don’t think he is quite there yet. Lester is a safer bet.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I still have nightmares of Payne kicking it directly into Castagna’s head (resulted in a goal) like two weeks ago. 😂

He seems to do things like that on the odd occasion. But he definitely is getting better and better as a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: whatever, but I hope the AFL have deeeeep pockets in the future when the poor players with lasting injuries/conditions use things like this in court where they hide behind tribunal shenanigans to allow this kind of stuff. Irrational or not, technically legal or not. I hate it.

* off with that kind of stuff. You want to protect the head? protect the head mother*ers.

edit2: oh it seems it was a technicality from the INEPTITUDE from the original tribunal and how they assessed certain aspects of the incident.

oh well my flush of rage is over. I really hope Ah Chee is alright, and won't have any/too many lasting issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back