Review Round 21, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absurd decision - he knew Cal was there, it was at a time in the game Carlton needed a lift and he deliberately pulverised an unsuspecting opponent.

And to think Mitch Robisnon got a week in round one for I'm still not sure exactly what.

Can we get there lawyers in the future?
Its also illogical that the above also isnt taken into account when one considers the permeatation of a given game as described above. these people at the tribunal surely are smarter than me and know this yet it is completely ignored b/c as we see in the real world, those with deep pockets get the best lawyers to get clients off on technicaties that serve no social or natural justice and this is the legal system at work despite there guilt. Joke.

What does error of law or no reasoable person could make such a decision have to do with what we all witnessed in the context of the game and at the moment. Any afl person knows Cripps was trying to make a forceful statement and thats what he did by deliberately targgeting and hurting an opposition player by hitting him in the head. Irrespective of whether he meant to get him in the head, dhouldn't matter. He had a duty of care to AChee and his direct actions caused an opponent to be severly concussed and yet he doesnt pay a price. What a joke.

I get everyone saying we want Carlton to win to help our chances with Cripps playing, but c'mon have some morality, no one should be cheering this decision. The guy is a thug and I hope Carlton with Cripps playing still lose so this week still amounted to nothing and further that they miss the finals.

The AFL seriously is an amateur organisation. Chose to bump and the player he bumped was concussed, that has been an automatic suspension for years now. Cripps not only concussed Ah Chee but he left the ground, elected to bump and hit him in the head. I was surprised this was even a conversation about whether he should’ve been suspended or not but for the AFL to have overturned their decision on it is an absolute embarrassment. So much for protecting the head. Absolute joke and with the changing of interpretations every second week and the overall inconsistency of how players and teams are treated it’s no surprise people are losing interest.

What an absolute s**t show the Afl is.

I don't give a damn whether or not this is "good," for our finals chances

Mitch Robinson's suspension a few weeks ago for occupying space is a sick joke.

Every fair minded footy fan should feel enraged by this cynical bullshit

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So does a player know tomorrow night what the consequences are for a bump that makes contact to the head or are we back to being confused what the hell is going on?
as long as you rely on the tribunal to get the technicalities wrong, invest in a good lawyer and you're sweet :)

I suppose the kind of karmic outcome here would be for Carlton to win the last two games and Capt'n Sniper to do an ACL or something in the last five minutes of the second game and miss all of next season ... not wishing it on him in any way but the schadenfreude factor would certainly be there...

as long as you rely on the tribunal to get the technicalities wrong, invest in a good lawyer and you're sweet :)
What this does do is allow any future concussion/brain damage law suits to use this as a precidient. Would definitely be a huge advantage for a "Good Lawyer" to say the AFL do not consider head knocks as serious long term damage to the player. Solicitors/Lawyers & Carlton should be the only ones happy about this decision.

I suppose the kind of karmic outcome here would be for Carlton to win the last two games and Capt'n Sniper to do an ACL or something in the last five minutes of the second game and miss all of next season ... not wishing it on him in any way but the schadenfreude factor would certainly be there...
I also hope he never hurts himself in any way. I love watching him play the game he plays.

I honestly dont think he intentionally went out to hurt Cal but that isn't what should this suspension should be for. He bumped intentionally which caused a concussion....thats it really.

I also hope he never hurts himself in any way. I love watching him play the game he plays.

I honestly dont think he intentionally went out to hurt Cal but that isn't what should this suspension should be for. He bumped intentionally which caused a concussion....thats it really.
And the remorse he showed afterwards really touched our hearts and showed elements of his character that will stay with us forever ... not every great player is a good bloke (actually since we used to think of Hodge the same way I guess if Cripps ended up a valued Lion we would forgive him)

So does a player know tomorrow night what the consequences are for a bump that makes contact to the head or are we back to being confused what the hell is going on?

So long as you feign that you’re contesting the ball, even if you’re late to the contest, it’s free game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Self inflicted can of worms opened up by the AFL which is going to make every charge, bump ,contentious tackle or late tackle that inflicts damage a feeding bin for lawyers and a basis for litigation against the game. Plus agitate the supporters of clubs in the event their player gets rubbed out.

I gave up reading the transcript after 15 minutes with all the legal mumbo jumbo and technical subterfuge which obviously confused the adjudicators just as much as those reading it.

In the air at least. If a player has their head over the footy and turns their body to deliberate be hit high like in the robbo suspension then that's no good
Legally though the basis is there for it to be overturned on the same grounds if the ball is in contention and they're going for the ball.

Legally though the basis is there for it to be overturned on the same grounds if the ball is in contention and they're going for the ball.

Robbo was going for the ball though though. Duursma just got there first just as Ah Chee got their first. To make matters worst though Duursma tried to draw high contact unlike Ah Chee and Ah Chee was in a more vulnerable position as he couldn't brace for contact

An absolute s**t show all round. Wouldn't blame anyone for being 'soft' and not putting themselves in a vulnerable position unlike what Cal did

Robbo was going for the ball though though. Duursma just got there first just as Ah Chee got their first. To make matters worst though Duursma tried to draw high contact unlike Ah Chee and Ah Chee was in a more vulnerable position as he couldn't brace for contact

An absolute s**t show all round. Wouldn't blame anyone for being 'soft' and not putting themselves in a vulnerable position unlike what Cal did
It's actually ludicrous the more I analyse it . Cal had his hands on the ball. Cripps had the opportunity to tackle and instead charged into him in a situation where Cal had no opportunity to protect himself .

So much for protecting the player going for the ball.

I love our game and have done so since I was knee high. Have seen many crap things through the journey but this takes the cake.

Speaking of lawyers. What we need now is someone here with the necessary quals to take on this case pro bono and sue the bugger for assault.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I love our game and have done so since I was knee high. Have seen many crap things through the journey but this takes the cake.

Speaking of lawyers. What we need now is someone here with the necessary quals to take on this case pro bono and sue the bugger for assault.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
There are actually very good legal precedents for doing so re duty of care in many aspects of human interaction.

No one has had the guts to do it re AFL though Matthews did get charged with assault and copped a 12 month good behaviour bond IIRC.

Times have changed , that was nearly 40 years ago, and if he did what he did now he could have ended up with a spell inside.

Players suing other players is coming . People sue others for looking sideways at them these days. Lawyers are already smelling the dollars and the notoriety.

Which is why it s important ,and the AFL knows this better than anybody, that a duty of care factor is paramount in its decisions on unlawful contact.

There are actually very good legal precedents for doing so re duty of care in many aspects of human interaction.

No one has had the guts to do it re AFL though Matthews did get charged with assault and copped a 12 month good behaviour bond IIRC.

Times have changed , that was nearly 40 years ago, and if he did what he did now he could have ended up with a spell inside.

Players suing other players is coming . People sue others for looking sideways at them these days. Lawyers are already smelling the dollars and the notoriety.

Which is why it s important ,and the AFL knows this better than anybody, that a duty of care factor is paramount in its decisions on unlawful contact.
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that who the player is and who their club is, is paramount to the outcome.

Two instances of big name players from big Vic clubs (Cothcin and Cripps) against two hapless and irrelevant clubs (Shiel (GWS) and AhChee (us) getting off when they concuss players at critical times of there respective clubs seasons - Tiges playing in a GF and Carlton needing its best players to get them into a final series - first time in over 10 years - am I being cynical in thinking there are correlations and biases at play.

Do we really think if Green and Robinson were substituted for Cotchin and Cripps and then Green and Robinson committed the same act that led to Cotchin and Cripps being taken and concussed in the first half with as much riding on it as Cotchin and Cripps had on the line and were taken out in the manner Shiel andAhChee were taken out that we get the same result? The answer should be emphatically yes, that who is involved doesn't matter, but every AFL follower knows that would clearly not be the case. Therein lies a very very serious problem, yet for some reason the AFL industry isnt interested in exploring such notions; wonder why?

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that who the player is and who their club is, is paramount to the outcome.

Two instances of big name players from big Vic clubs (Cothcin and Cripps) against two hapless and irrelevant clubs (Shiel (GWS) and AhChee (us) getting off when they concuss players at critical times of there respective clubs seasons - Tiges playing in a GF and Carlton needing its best players to get them into a final series - first time in over 10 years - am I being cynical in thinking there are correlations and biases at play.

Do we really think if Green and Robinson were substituted for Cotchin and Cripps and then Green and Robinson committed the same act that led to Cotchin and Cripps being taken and concussed in the first half with as much riding on it as Cotchin and Cripps had on the line and were taken out in the manner Shiel andAhChee were taken out that we get the same result? The answer should be emphatically yes, that who is involved doesn't matter, but every AFL follower knows that would clearly not be the case. Therein lies a very very serious problem, yet for some reason the AFL industry isnt interested in exploring such notions; wonder why?
It's a chicken and egg thing. If it's a star that you need you explore every possible legal angle. If it's Robbo you just suck it up.

One of the most hilarious was Barry Hall getting to play in the GF for the Swans when it was blatant on video and any similar incident copped 2 or 3 all year. I was friends with the guy who got him off and ended up a beak and he still laughs about it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

'How can this keep happening': Ah Chee calls out racist trolls

BRISBANE utility Callum Ah Chee has been racially abused online, days after being concussed in a controversial incident at the Gabba.

Ah Chee, who will miss the Lions' crucial clash with St Kilda on Friday night under the AFL's mandatory concussion protocols, posted the abuse he received on Instagram.

"How can this still keep happening," the 24-year-old wrote on his Instagram story.

"Why can’t my brothers and I just play the game we love without having to worry about s*** like this.

The Lions are expected to release an official statement on Friday condemning the behaviour.

My daughter mentioned the racial abuse this morning - was just on instagram apparently. There are some sick puppies out there.

Letting Cripps off has that smell that Carlton playing in finals is a good thing for footy.

Last edited:
After re-watching the Willi Rioli incident I was certain that Cripps would eventually get off.
That decision was a disaster but there it is.

Back