Vale Herb Henderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oliver Gigacz - Angus Abbey and Jim Miller are definitely still alive per the snapshot from a recent Footy Record I posted earlier.

(Thanks, I've got Ross Abbey's phone number btw.)

Angus Abbey is now the longest lived of our 1954 premiership players at 96.

There's this thread:

I think from the OP in that thread we've since lost Sutton, Henderson, Stevens, Bryden and Box, which would leave only:

• Abbey (96)
  • Reynolds (88)
  • Ross (88)
  • Stockman 87 (turning 88 in a week or so)
  • and Gallagher (91) as surviving members of that team.

Also from your list, Bill Leahy was a gun centreman for Coburg in the early 30s, had a number of VFL clubs chasing him. Not sure how we ended up with him.

I've got a couple of cards in my collection from that era featuring Bill, two Coburg ones, and one a Footscray one. Mine are secured offsite atm, but these are what they look like:

1933 Wills Cigarette card (mass produced) front and back:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1933 Giant Brand Licorice confectionery card (used the same source photo as the Wills card) front and back with club colours:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1935 Hoadleys Chocolates confectionery card, featuring the single season striped Footscray jumper:

loadImg.php

That is correct, only 5 of our 1954 premiership team are still with us and we'd certainly hear if anything had happened to Angus Abbey or Jim Miller.

As for Billy Leahy, not much is known. He trained with us over the 1934 pre-season and played in a few practice matches...

1.png

2.png

Made his debut in R2 as the 19th man but came on in the third quarter after Ken Lockart broke his collarbone...

3.png

Incidentally, a strange/sad thing happened over at Princes Park on the same day...

4 .png

As for where Leahy ended up is largely a mystery, hence why he's one of the older players that the AFL is still after a DOD for. There is some suspicion that he moved interstate.

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
That is correct, only 5 of our 1954 premiership team are still with us and we'd certainly hear if anything had happened to Angus Abbey or Jim Miller.

As for Billy Leahy, not much is known. He trained with us over the 1934 pre-season and played in a few practice matches...

View attachment 1472562

View attachment 1472563

Made his debut in R2 as the 19th man but came on in the third quarter after Ken Lockart broke his collarbone...

View attachment 1472564

Incidentally, a strange/sad thing happened over at Princes Park on the same day...

View attachment 1472566

As for where Leahy ended up is largely a mystery, hence why he's one of the older players that the AFL is still after a DOD for. There is some suspicion that he moved interstate.

This page:

has a record of the permit being issued to transfer from Coburg to Footscray, and also his games at Coburg. He went back there in 1937 after 3 seasons with us.

1660169813560.png

Also Ancestry.com has a William Leahy born in 1911 in the UK and a DOD as 1984, but I don't have an account, so can't access any other details. Not an uncommon name though, so probably not the same person:

1660170042238.png

This page:

has a record of the permit being issued to transfer from Coburg to Footscray, and also his games at Coburg. He went back there in 1937 after 3 seasons with us.

View attachment 1472641

Also Ancestry.com has a William Leahy born in 1911 in the UK and a DOD as 1984, but I don't have an account, so can't access any other details. Not an uncommon name though, so probably not the same person:

View attachment 1472644

There are couple of family trees that have a person with same name / date and place of death but they don't mention him being in Australia

William W. Leahy​

Birth 1911 Death 20 May 1984 (aged 72–73) Burial
Brosna New Cemetery
Brosna, County Kerry, Ireland Plot Grave Space #40 Memorial ID 179205103 · View Source

• 179205103_719f4b6f-141c-48ff-a55d-ac783639d7c0.jpeg

Died when 73 years old. Info from headstone.

Married. Pensioner. Catholic.

From Reacashla, Brosna.

Died when 75 years old from natural causes.

Info from Brosna New Cemetery burial records.

Inscription​

In Loving Memory Of
WILLIAM W. LEAHY
Reacashla, Brosna.
Died 20th May 1984, Aged 73 Yrs.
HANNAH LEAHY
Died 13th Nov 1985 Aged 78 Yrs
There was a William Leahy in Kernot St, Spotswood in 1935
and William Robert Leahy, barman at 269 Barkly St., Footscray in 1937
Robert William Leahy at same address 1937
There are trees with this family

William Robert Leahy​

1914–1972​

Birth 08 JAN 1914 • Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Death 17 JUL 1972 • Rosanna, Victoria, Australia

Electoral Rolls, - Barman in Albert Park 1949

There is a record for a William Francis Roy Leahy b 1911 Victoria with mother maiden name Green and father William Francis Leahy
And a William Francis Healy 1913-2000 buried in Howlong NSW with father of the same name, mother Fitzgerald

Name: William Francis Leahy
Birth Date: 19 Aug 1913
Birth Place: New South Wales, Australia
Death Date: 13 Jan 2000
Cemetery: Howlong Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Howlong, Federation Council, New South Wales, Australia
Has Bio?: Y
Father: William Francis Leahy
Mother: Agatha Marie Leahy
Spouse: Esther Agnes Leahy
URL: William Francis “Bill” Leahy (1913-2000) - Find a...

Another died Resedale Vic 13 Feb 1974 but was b 1954

Last edited:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
There are couple of family trees that have a person with same name / date and place of death but they don't mention him being in Australia

William W. Leahy​

Brosna New Cemetery
Brosna, County Kerry, Ireland Plot Grave Space #40 Memorial ID 179205103 · View Source

From Reacashla, Brosna.

Inscription​

William Robert Leahy​

1914–1972​

Wow, thanks Fossie 32 - maybe you and I and Oliver G should be doing the club research for past players!

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Would any of those critical of the Club for not having the players wear a black armband on the death of Herb Henderson care to publish their policy on the issue for consideration by the Board ?

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would any of those critical of the Club for not having the players wear a black armband on the death of Herb Henderson care to publish their policy on the issue for consideration by the Board ?
My policy would be that when an ex- player passes away the team wears black armbands in the next match to honour the players contribution. The club should also publish a death notice giving thanks for service and condolences to the family. It should be done for all players who played a senior match.
Not sure of exact figures but how many players do we debut each year? 6 or 7 on average? So on average going forward we would have to do it about that many times each year. Hardly onerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched that 😢. Sounds like a lovely man. For a Bullgod, so humble.
I talked with him twenty years ago, yet I still remember the impression that he made on me. Interesting to read that what I wrote about him in 2009 is almost exactly what I wrote on hearing of his passing 13 years later.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
My policy would be that when an ex- player passes away the team wears black armbands in the next match to honour the players contribution. The club should also publish a death notice giving thanks for service and condolences to the family. It should be done for all players who played a senior match.
Not sure of exact figures but how many players do we debut each year? 6 or 7 on average? So on average going forward we would have to do it about that many times each year. Hardly onerous.
Fair enough. I reckon that the Club feels that wearing black arm bands once every 3 games or so detracts from the solemnity if the tribute. To each his or her own.

Last edited:

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough. I reckon that the Club feels that wearing black arm bands once every 3 games or so detracts from the solemnity if the tribute. To each his or her own.
You could be right, I have never heard anything from the club about their views.
Without being callous about it, the number of times it would be done would probably be less than I have stated ( the black armbands stuff) . Given the season is only about six months of the year, on average half the deaths would occur in the off season so would be acknowledged in round 1 each year.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This page:

View attachment 1472641

View attachment 1472644

William W. Leahy​

Brosna New Cemetery

From Reacashla, Brosna.

Inscription​

William Robert Leahy​

1914–1972​

Electoral Rolls, - Barman in Albert Park 1949

Thanks guys, it certainly is a mystery. The AFL, the club and AF have been trying to put this one to bed for years now with no luck. Of course there are several possibilities that could explain such as that William may be his middle name or more likely that his DOB is incorrect.

Thanks guys, it certainly is a mystery. The AFL, the club and AF have been trying to put this one to bed for years now with no luck. Of course there are several possibilities that could explain such as that William may be his middle name or more likely that his DOB is incorrect.
Do you have a DOB or just going on starting year at Coburg? Wouldn't fit too well with DOB of 1914 if he started in 1929

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
You could be right, I have never heard anything from the club about their views.
Without being callous about it, the number of times it would be done would probably be less than I have stated ( the black armbands stuff) . Given the season is only about six months of the year, on average half the deaths would occur in the off season so would be acknowledged in round 1 each year.
Consider writing to the Club to make that suggestion. It has merit and you never know. A good mate of mine's father had been a long term secretary then President at another small VFL club. He had told me that in his time, 1950s, Footscray and other small clubs supported each other against the bigger clubs at VFL meetings. When he died, early 90s, I though it would be a decent gesture for the Club to send a wreath so I contacted the Club by 'phone, I think it was Denis Galimberti, made the suggestion and offered to pay for the wreath, which I did. At the Church, I looked for the wreath but found that it named me as donor instead of the Club. It must have been an administrative mix up. Absolutely no criticism of Denis. I don't think that would happen today. Chance your arm.

Last edited:

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do you have a DOB or just going on starting year at Coburg? Wouldn't fit too well with DOB of 1914 if he started in 1929

DOB is listed as 7 March 1911 andtheir full name is "William Francis Roy Leahy" but as mentioned earlier there is some suspicion that this is incorrect or is a different William Leahy.

Last edited:

“… and because Mantis Toboggan was kind enough to drop us in a few rolls of black tape.
We had to raid the petty cash piggy bank after Scrag cancelled his membership, so we didn’t have enough spondulas to go buy some tape.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back