Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters
Was just going to post the same thing. The guy who posted it is well connected.
For him to be so new to a Club and make an issue of his position so early in a career is likely indicator he is moving on from North.

Where that may be, remains to be seen.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's think this through rationally. This time last year Norf thought they were getting an elite midfielder who was very committed to their dumpster fire of a club. They rated JHF so highly they didn't even make the Pies pay a decent amount of points for the sublime Daicos.

The massive offers they got and rejected for pick one reflected Norf's opinion of JHF.

Fast forward 9 months and they are finding they've got a seemingly troubled young player who appears to not want to be there. In 12 months time he may be even more disillusioned AND OOC. So if JHF wants to come to us or Port then North will get their best return and get it 12 months earlier by trading him this year.

It's rare that a player will agree to get traded to a club like Norf unless they are getting big overs and going home. For the purposes of this exercise let's just forget about sending contracted player X to Norf.

I reckon if we offer our first to North, they will see that as a chance to offload a troublesome JHF and immediately replace him with a highly rated Victorian draftee. Norf already have pick 1 this year, add our pick 4/5 plus a PP maybe pick 11 and they are on their way, Al Clarkson would give this a tick.

So we quickly offer Norf our first for JHF, then Gold Coast will just have to accept our 2023 first for Rankine.

With a happy JHF and Rankine on board plus some growth from our younger players and playing Dawson on the wing where he can do damage, we'll head up the ladder and our 2023 first may only be a pick 9/10.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

IF ...​

you're axing Jason Horne-Francis for a round 22 match in what would have been his first game in front of SA family and friends, and when you had previously had reason to do so for a number of reasons, both behavioural and form, but soft-optioned it ...

THEN ...​

don't be surprised if he does officially seek a transfer at the end of the year. Staggering management of the No.1 national draft pick.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's think this through rationally. This time last year Norf thought they were getting an elite midfielder who was very committed to their dumpster fire of a club. They rated JHF so highly they didn't even make the Pies pay a decent amount of points for the sublime Daicos.

The massive offers they got and rejected for pick one reflected Norf's opinion of JHF.

Fast forward 9 months and they are finding they've got a seemingly troubled young player who appears to not want to be there. In 12 months time he may be even more disillusioned AND OOC. So if JHF wants to come to us or Port then North will get their best return and get it 12 months earlier by trading him this year.

It's rare that a player will agree to get traded to a club like Norf unless they are getting big overs and going home. For the purposes of this exercise let's just forget about sending contracted player X to Norf.

I reckon if we offer our first to North, they will see that as a chance to offload a troublesome JHF and immediately replace him with a highly rated Victorian draftee. Norf already have pick 1 this year, add our pick 4/5 plus a PP maybe pick 11 and they are on their way, Al Clarkson would give this a tick.

So we quickly offer Norf our first for JHF, then Gold Coast will just have to accept our 2023 first for Rankine.

With a happy JHF and Rankine on board plus some growth from our younger players and playing Dawson on the wing where he can do damage, we'll head up the ladder and our 2023 first may only be a pick 9/10.
I like the way you think.

I'm no good at Playstation trades, and certainly not the ones that assume we can just ship out players of our choosing to clubs of our choosing, but I can easily imagine a combination of trades (maybe players e.g. Sholl to Carlton as has been rumoured, maybe picks) that would end up landing us both Rankine and JHF as well as some decent lower end draft picks.

Unlikely? Maybe. Impossible? No. We've got some decent form on trading in recent times. Maybe it would need Reidy to do the football equivalent of starting with a paperclip on ebay and trading up to a house :) but it's not out of the realms of possibility.

Maybe it would need Reidy to do the football equivalent of starting with a paperclip on ebay and trading up to a house :) but it's not out of the realms of possibility.
Maybe our red paperclip in this case is Matt Crouch and our house is JHF and Rankine. :$

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
Players that may generate some interest and value and wouldn't be upset in losing if it meant getting JHF and Rankine:

Ben Keays - Would be at his highest value right at this moment
Brayden Cook - this one could bit us on the bum, as he is quality, just needs to find a position and develop
Shane McAdam - career year best, but realistically we are not going to get any more value out of him than right now. Yet to put together a whole season without injury. With Rachele, Rankine, Fog & TT there is enough x-factor
Harry Schoenberg - another one who has a couple of levels to go, but has stagnated and if we were to get JHF and Rankine, and with Soligo coming through, he may find he is behind a couple
Nick Murray - has shown enough as a KPD to get some value
Wayne Milera - not sure anyone is paying too much but has shown glimpses this year
Elliott Himmelberg - FWD/Rucks don't grow on trees, but is behind Filthy. Might be some value
Lachlan Sholl - Brilliant user of the footy, but soft as butter. If another club needs an outside finisher, he could be worth something
Reilly O'Brien - if we were to target a ruck, then ROB is out of here
Lachlan Gollant - harsh, but would have some value
Tom Doedee - Got to give something to get something, and think we can cover his role

Do not trade list:

Riley Thilthorpe
Josh Rachele
Jake Soligo
Sam Berry
Rory Laird
Darcy Fogarty

The remainder would either be classified as other clubs not interested, or the value we would receive would not match their current output.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
At the rate JHF is behaving at North our first and Sholl would be enough, he's flat out refusing to play in a position/ a role. They can get sheezel instead and a winger in Sholl who's uncle played at the club that's a good result for North.

weekend at bernies

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, GSW
Players that may generate some interest and value and wouldn't be upset in losing if it meant getting JHF and Rankine:

Ben Keays - Would be at his highest value right at this moment
Brayden Cook - this one could bit us on the bum, as he is quality, just needs to find a position and develop
Shane McAdam - career year best, but realistically we are not going to get any more value out of him than right now. Yet to put together a whole season without injury. With Rachele, Rankine, Fog & TT there is enough x-factor
Harry Schoenberg - another one who has a couple of levels to go, but has stagnated and if we were to get JHF and Rankine, and with Soligo coming through, he may find he is behind a couple
Nick Murray - has shown enough as a KPD to get some value
Wayne Milera - not sure anyone is paying too much but has shown glimpses this year
Elliott Himmelberg - FWD/Rucks don't grow on trees, but is behind Filthy. Might be some value
Lachlan Sholl - Brilliant user of the footy, but soft as butter. If another club needs an outside finisher, he could be worth something
Reilly O'Brien - if we were to target a ruck, then ROB is out of here
Lachlan Gollant - harsh, but would have some value
Tom Doedee - Got to give something to get something, and think we can cover his role

Do not trade list:

Riley Thilthorpe
Josh Rachele
Jake Soligo
Sam Berry
Rory Laird
Darcy Fogarty

The remainder would either be classified as other clubs not interested, or the value we would receive would not match their current output.
May be able to dupe a club into giving us a 3rd rounder for Crouch

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
I think theyd rather back in the new coach to turn some of their young players around - Specifically JHF and Thomas, rather than take a top 6 pick for him (which I suspect we'll need for Rankine.

Guys that are worth something that we'd be willing to trade -
Doedee
Shoenberg
RoB
McAdam

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think theyd rather back in the new coach to turn some of their young players around - Specifically JHF and Thomas, rather than take a top 6 pick for him (which I suspect we'll need for Rankine.

Guys that are worth something that we'd be willing to trade -
Doedee
Shoenberg
RoB
McAdam
I’m trading
Rob
Mcadam
Doedee
Schoenberg
In that order.

I dont think players have as much of a high school mentality as that. North have money, and they're Victorian. No player is an outright no just because it's north.

Really most of the league is going to be an outright no because its North.

Doesn't matter how much money you have when it's clear you're a mickey mouse club.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not keen to pay crazy money for JHF. Our reported offer from last year was insane IMHO. I am not aware that JHF has done anything in 2022 to suggest he’s such an unusually amazingly sure-thing gun that we’d pay more than one high first rounder for him.
Especially now that he seems a bit flaky.
Depends do we get his dummy with that

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMO we aren’t favourites to get him, if he wants to get back to SA. Port are losing an experienced, good quality Victorian and will have a decent draft pick too. Add that to the fact he’s related to an ex Port player and I’m concluding he’s heading to Alberton.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
By my calculations if We win our last two games, and Port and Hawthorn lose both of theirs our percentage is so low we can't go above them. We can only jump Essendon, if they beat Port by a small margin and get hammered by Richmond 50+ we could still over take them, provided both wins total 80+ points

Imagine winning the last two games and holding pick 4 because the 3 teams above all on the same amount of wins all have slightly high percentage.

If we have pick 4 I'm tempted to walk Rankine to the PSD with how the media and Gold coast are reacting and then a simple here's pick 4 and Sholl for JHF and be done with it. Just make out like Bandits.

Back