20​
10​
10​
0​
40​
1824​
1691​
107.87%​

Friday night under lights on the main stage, 5 day break, 3 key players out, in Melbourne against an opposition with their season on the line and we still won.

That's alright by me. My family and I will all be happy campers this weekend and Will committed and wants to play with his brother and Will is playing in the reserves tomorrow.

How good is that!

Cam Rayner, welcome to the big time!

c3506b5e-8b3b-40a6-9c74-35a6a2371a8c-jpeg.1474874

Harris Andrews keeping King goalless after keeping McKay to one late cheap goal last week.

In your face David King.

That’s such a bad take.

King kept King goalless.

Missed three from directly in front. All on Andrew.
Was sitting directly behind most of those contests and not sure what Harris could have done better with most of them. Not perfect and was helped by poor conversion, but overall a solid effort.

Was sitting directly behind most of those contests and not sure what Harris could have done better with most of them. Not perfect and was helped by poor conversion, but overall a solid effort.

Yeah it was a solid effort by Andrews - did a lot good. Anyone expecting him to stop some of Kings shots at goals are kidding themselves.

Yeah it was a solid effort by Andrews - did a lot good. Anyone expecting him to stop some of Kings shots at goals are kidding themselves.
Not criticising Andrews at all.

Just saying King going goalless was completely down to King having the yips big time.

For all the doom and gloom on here about how our premiership window is closing, our best players are passed it, Fagan needs to be sacked, whatever, we're now one (home game) win away from our 4th consecutive top four finish and another crack at a flag. Our list is relatively healthy. Rayner just won a game off his own boot and would be full of confidence heading into the finals series. On top of it all, we're getting the number one pick in the draft who looks to be a generational talent that could have an immediate impact on par with Walsh or Daicos in their first years. Our age profile is pretty damn great and there's no reason this squad can't remain in contention for the next 3+ years. Most importantly, players like McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, etc. (the present and future of this club) have developed inside a winning culture which has the potential to totally transform the club into a period of sustained success ala Geelong or Sydney. We win far more games than we lose and as such we should hopefully remain a destination club at the trade table.

Life as a Lions supporter is great and it's amazing how quickly some people on here have become spoiled by our recent success (even if we haven't won a flag with this squad yet).

That’s such a bad take.

King kept King goalless.

Missed three from directly in front. All on Andrew.

Couple of them were indefensible. It came in lace out and there was zero pressure. I remember one where King just strolled forward to mark with nobody even in the vicinity of where he was leading. Glad he missed.

Andrews played a good game in general, he didn't allow contested marks in wing or F50 arc and kept King under control for most of the time. It's been a good step up over the last 2 weeks compared to him trying to do 100 things in a zone and falling 5-10m behind his direct opponent.

Agree. The last time they matched up against each other King really had Andrews measure. Last night Andrews really had him covered & was a significant reason (not the only one) King didnt play a significant role in his sides attempt to win the game. David King is a spud for saying that s**t about Harris. Just typical media garbage that spews out of their mouth's to make them feel relevant.

For all the doom and gloom on here about how our premiership window is closing, our best players are passed it, Fagan needs to be sacked, whatever, we're now one (home game) win away from our 4th consecutive top four finish and another crack at a flag. Our list is relatively healthy. Rayner just won a game off his own boot and would be full of confidence heading into the finals series. On top of it all, we're getting the number one pick in the draft who looks to be a generational talent that could have an immediate impact on par with Walsh or Daicos in their first years. Our age profile is pretty damn great and there's no reason this squad can't remain in contention for the next 3+ years. Most importantly, players like McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, etc. (the present and future of this club) have developed inside a winning culture which has the potential to totally transform the club into a period of sustained success ala Geelong or Sydney. We win far more games than we lose and as such we should hopefully remain a destination club at the trade table.

Life as a Lions supporter is great and it's amazing how quickly some people on here have become spoiled by our recent success (even if we haven't won a flag with this squad yet).
Great post and very well said. I agree 100% although I know the posters on our board who will dis-agree with you.

P.S. I do believe Cam had some help with winning the game rather than doing it all on his own. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post and very well said. I agree 100% although I know the posters on our board who will dis-agree with you.

P.S. I do believe Cam had some help with winning the game rather than doing it all on his own. ;)

You're kidding yourself! Cam went in the ruck, tapped it down to himself and broke the lines. He kicked it high inside 50 and marked it off his own boot!!!!

Yeah but the ultimate success is premiership though. I want this group to win one as I know they're capable. All of us supporters here do, so I see the criticism as constructive and ways to improve our team rather than hanging crap on coach or players. I'd be equally content if we have a Sydney or Geelong like run for the next 10 years. Always around the mark in terms of finals, as well as constantly refining our team + game plan and try to push for the ultimate price year after year.

After all, Geelong has been in this mission for last 10 years now, just shows how difficult it is to win one even if everything is going right for you in a season. St.Kilda 2009, Collingwood 2011, Hawks 2012, Sydney 2016, Adelaide 2017 - so many examples out there where the gun team of the season didn't manage to take that final step.

You're kidding yourself! Cam went in the ruck, tapped it down to himself and broke the lines. He kicked it high inside 50 and marked it off his own boot!!!!
I thought the whole forward line were excellent last night. Hippy's handball over the top of the pack in the goal square to Cam was so good. They now need 4 quarters of ruthless, "hard at the ball" footy and lets ALL enjoy the ride.

I thought the whole forward line were excellent last night. Hippy's handball over the top of the pack in the goal square to Cam was so good. They now need 4 quarters of ruthless, "hard at the ball" footy and lets ALL enjoy the ride.

Agreed. IMO our forwards are absolutely peaking at the perfect time. Our backs look rock solid. I think our mids with Ah Chee on the wing are just about ready for that ruthless four quarter footy. I think playing two contested brutes in berry and Ah Chee has been the real game changer for us.

Agreed. IMO our forwards are absolutely peaking at the perfect time. Our backs look rock solid. I think our mids with Ah Chee on the wing are just about ready for that ruthless four quarter footy. I think playing two contested brutes in berry and Ah Chee has been the real game changer for us.

Need to find a way to fit Prior in there as well. He was running back and defending so many times yesterday, 1 percenters were great. He's so switched on - not just manning his player but had the awareness to listen n nod to instructions from the bench. I just laughed watching him do both while trying to win the ball on ground, it was around the last minute in one of the quarters and they were trying to run the clock down.

Yeah but the ultimate success is premiership though. I want this group to win one as I know they're capable. All of us supporters here do, so I see the criticism as constructive and ways to improve our team rather than hanging crap on coach or players. I'd be equally content if we have a Sydney or Geelong like run for the next 10 years. Always around the mark in terms of finals, as well as constantly refining our team + game plan and try to push for the ultimate price year after year.

After all, Geelong has been in this mission for last 10 years now, just shows how difficult it is to win one even if everything is going right for you in a season. St.Kilda 2009, Collingwood 2011, Hawks 2012, Sydney 2016, Adelaide 2017 - so many examples out there where the gun team of the season didn't manage to take that final step.
Agree. Like you say above, Grand Finals are extremely difficult to win & I think we need to understand that before we sit down and start typing. Also believe some criticisms are very constructive but some are specifically hanging crap every opportunity they find....and that's OK as well as long as it's not dis-respectful.

Need to find a way to fit Prior in there as well. He was running back and defending so many times yesterday, 1 percenters were great. He's so switched on - not just manning his player but had the awareness to listen n nod to instructions from the bench. I just laughed watching him do both while trying to win the ball on ground, it was around the last minute in one of the quarters and they were trying to run the clock down.

Priors direct opponent also had a day out. I like his future as a Lion, but don't think he's got all the aspects of the wing role down just yet whereas Ah Chee and Berry are very good at it and are contested ball winning beasts.

Agree. The last time they matched up against each other King really had Andrews measure. Last night Andrews really had him covered & was a significant reason (not the only one) King didnt play a significant role in his sides attempt to win the game. David King is a spud for saying that s**t about Harris. Just typical media garbage that spews out of their mouth's to make them feel relevant.
From what I can see on the TV, Harris also was pretty physical with King which you could tell he didnt like.

I watch the reserves every week, either in person or on TV and playing in the senior system seems to suit Prior better. I didn't mind his game last night or Dan Rich's, which when reading thru the match review thread he seemed to cop a bit of stick. Thought he really put his body on the line, unlucky not to get some frees, but didnt quite understand the knock on his game.

From what I can see on the TV, Harris also was pretty physical with King which you could tell he didnt like.
Speaking of King not liking stuff, I wonder if the lack of players getting into his face after each miss was psychological - don't fire him up and let him attribute anything to external agency, just let him live in his own mind and second guess his awful goal kicking.

Harris has been improving of recent weeks and is handling the big dogs better than he has in the past 12 months. When we get belted in the M/F there's not a lot can be done sometimes.

Say what you like about Matho the M/F has looked stronger around the contest since he was selected.

I still believe our forwards need to do more chasing and harassing and pleased to see Charlie has picked up a lot in this regard of recent weeks.

We're playing a rung below the Top 2 or 3 at present but if we're in there anything can happen and if we put it all together on the night and everyone plays their role we can win any match. Provided a Melbourne or Geelong don't have a day out as well.

We will look stronger again with Adams and Ah Chee in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back