Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As a pies supporter, that 2002 GF was one of the best backs to the wall performances I’ve ever watched. Pies could not have played any better. The lions were playing at their peak too.

Amazingly it is the only VFL/AFL game I can ever recall where the biggest margin was single digits. The final margin was 9 points but before Akermanis’ goal, the biggest margin was 8 points held by both teams several times each.

I really thought the pies would hold on when Fraser goaled in the 4th. Oh well it wasn’t to be :(
As a neutral, that 2002 GF was a great game to watch simply because it was such a relief from the s**t Grand Finals of the 90s. I mean, the best GF of the 90s was probably '97, but that was a decent GF, not a great one.

I know I'm a Port supporter but I always think 2004 is massively underrated as a Grand Final. I dunno if it was because the final margin wasn't close or the fact it was the first all interstate GF but there was so much going on that day.

Brisbane going for 4
Port in their first GF
The last true Biff in a grand final with fights all over the place.
Ports indigenous players tearing up the game
Aker bringing Brisbane back into it
Looked like Brisbane had them beat in the third until Wanganeen switched on.
Going into the last commentators still thought Brisbane would have the experience to win it but Port ran away.
Choco's choke and Alan Scott you were wrong.

I know I'm a Port supporter but I always think 2004 is massively underrated as a Grand Final. I dunno if it was because the final margin wasn't close or the fact it was the first all interstate GF but there was so much going on that day.

Brisbane going for 4
Port in their first GF
The last true Biff in a grand final with fights all over the place.
Ports indigenous players tearing up the game
Aker bringing Brisbane back into it
Looked like Brisbane had them beat in the third until Wanganeen switched on.
Going into the last commentators still thought Brisbane would have the experience to win it but Port ran away.
Choco's choke and Alan Scott you were wrong.

I didn’t and still don’t begrudge Mark Williams doing that but having as I said earlier today literally watched the 2009 grand final I had forgotten Bomber’s words on the podium afterwards.

We had copped it from all sides after what happened the year before against Hawthorn Bomber probably could have been pretty lippy that day (it was probably before he started taking and dealing meth too so maybe now he would get up and call everyone a c*** or something) but he actually stopped and paused and looked directly at all the Saints players who were generally pretty distraught.

‘To St Kilda….. footy sucks sometimes. You’re a very good side and have been the benchmark all year. We were very very lucky.’

It was a moment of real class that didn’t seem especially tokenistic

Back