Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we get a mid like LDU?

Pretty much every side has a big bodied mid except us.
You do realise he’s been in the system since the 2017 draft? It’s taken him this long to start to dominate

Ugly: North's list

Absolute s**t. How on earth did we win the spoon over them in 2020?
Start of a rebuild in the worst possible year with covid meaning guys couldn't even train togethet as much or get the coaching they needed. We also had Nick's starting and by the reports players struggled to understand what he was wanting in the early days. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day, we're scraping ourselves back upwards a lot faster which is really what matters.

Edit: Should add in that year Nicks had literally no support around him, it was only the year after we started to rebuild our coaches around him.

Ugly: North's list

Absolute s**t. How on earth did we win the spoon over them in 2020?
They are doing what we did end of 2019 losing a big chunk of experience players in 2021*, that's why we got the spoon in 2020 and they did in 2021* but getting in consecutive years is a big worry, I think they will get a PP from the AFL especially if Clarkson is their coach.

Fumbles, slips over, doesn't negate his opposition, provides minimal rebound. Overrated af.

No he's rated appropriately seeing he's an above average defender, but has become an odd target.

7.8 intercepts (=8th out of defenders in 2022 and 2 intercept marks per game), 4.3 ground ball gets, 24% one on one loss rate (which is above average and equivalent to Brendan Cox), so yeah he's been above average.

If this is a down season, Doedee is a serious footballer.

No he's rated appropriately seeing he's an above average defender, but has become an odd target.

7.8 intercepts (=8th out of defenders in 2022 and 2 intercept marks per game), 4.3 ground ball gets, 24% one on one loss rate (which is above average and equivalent to Brendan Cox), so yeah he's been above average.

If this is a down season, Doedee is a serious footballer.
If each team has an intercept defender, he's at best 8th out of 22 in his position. Secondly, as we're one of the bottom sides, there's far more opportunity to intercept marks than say a Steven May for the Dees. But I'll admit, it's the things he does wrong that stand out a lot more than the things he does right. Nowhere near the quality of Dawson, for example. He was considered our future captain. He's a long way from that imo.

If each team has an intercept defender, he's at best 8th out of 22 in his position. Secondly, as we're one of the bottom sides, there's far more opportunity to intercept marks than say a Steven May for the Dees. But I'll admit, it's the things he does wrong that stand out a lot more than the things he does right. Nowhere near the quality of Dawson, for example. He was considered our future captain. He's a long way from that imo.
Being near the bottom generally means less intercept marking because the ball transition with ease thus removing that from the equation.

Well set up teams have the entires coming in high and easy to pick off from pressure up the ground.

Much of this year we've been easy to score against, wasn't coincidence why every team was super accurate against us just look where they get their shots.

It's probably lucky we played North this week and not a genuinely good team. We were completely off pressure wise in the first half which is not good against a team who has extra motivation to win. Still, we responded after half time, made the game a grind and took it out pretty comfortably to play spoiler for the 2nd week in a row.
Have you considered the possibility that the reason our pressure was off was BECAUSE we were playing Norf?

I suspect they went into the game mentally relaxed because "it's only Norff". They probably wouldn't have been mentally switched off against a decent team.

That's my theory anyway.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you considered the possibility that the reason our pressure was off was BECAUSE we were playing Norf?

I suspect they went into the game mentally relaxed because "it's only Norff". They probably wouldn't have been mentally switched off against a decent team.

That's my theory anyway.

Pretty arrogant of us. We're barely a level above them

Good: Dawson was elite. Soligo, Worrell, Fogarty, Walker, McAdam good.
Bad: First 3quarters
Ugly: Roo's commentary.

Last edited:
Is Schoenberg now the player who has a disappointing game in general, and an atrocious one "when it counts". But he scores a spectacular goal near the end so all is forgiven?
A worry that Schoenberg was our only centre square mid who participated at the centre bounces today

He's having a 1 out of 10 season and was ahead of all our other mids which is concerning

Bossed in the middle by a team requesting a priority pick because of how horrific they are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was always going to be a danger game with Ben Cunnington’s return and the first half you could tell the Kangas were playing with a spiritual lift. Kudos to Ben for his efforts in overcoming the battle.

Then in the 2nd half we showed we were clearly the better team and North ran out of puff.

The good is that the midfield are starting to look like advancing a gear. Our forward line is looking more dynamic and everyone is contributing in some way. We’re nowhere near as reliant on Tex as we have been compared with the last 2 years.

I can't stand listening to roo on radio, but I've never understood why people don't like him boundary riding. He doesn't provide much, but also doesn't say anything stupid, which puts him above most.

FXORva2VEAAWkAu.jpg:large

A worry that Schoenberg was our only centre square mid who participated at the centre bounces today

He's having a 1 out of 10 season and was ahead of all our other mids which is concerning

Bossed in the middle by a team requesting a priority pick because of how horrific they are
Berry and Laird had a rare bad week. Most of the team looked like they just went through the motions except for the last quarter. We could have beaten them by 60 if we put in for at least 3quarters. North did miss some shots on goal last quarter which could have made it closer.

Last edited:

That's my theory anyway.

I think that's right. However, that thought was reinforced during the first quarter when we absolutely dominated them, running at will through the midfield, aided by their turnovers. Then the pressure wasn't necessary and we were caught napping in the second with no centre clearances. The second half was more normal pressure from us.

That's my theory anyway.

Possible, but I lean towards it being an unlikely reason as we knew this was Norths 'grand final' due to Cunnington, and we copped something very similar last week. Of course there could be some as ours is next week.

We came into that game off and if anything tired.

Boy we fumble a lot

Some players are serial double and triple grabbers with every ground ball. Sometimes they have time to regather, sometimes they don't.

Laird (who's usually very clean) had his opponent lob the ball to him after winning a free... and fumbled it.

Was just an untidy day. Two dropped chest marks in the first 20 seconds set the tone

s**t first half, especially the second quarter, but escaped a bit in the end with the win.

Fogarty's pretty good, eh?
Had North not succumbed to injury it may well have gone down to the wire.
I was impressed with the way we got back into the game particularly in the middle; but we have some really key injuries leading into next week which is a bummer.

Back