Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

Full stats breakdown…

Expected Score / Actual Score (Expected Accuracy / Actual Accuracy)
WB: 58 / 62 (41% / 45%)
GW: 48 / 57 (40% / 47%)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +10 / +5

Centre Bounce Attendances
15 - Bontempelli
14 - Liberatore
13 - English
12 - Dunkley
11 - Macrae
8 - B. Smitith
7 - S. Martin

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
51 - English (25 / 8 / 3)
27 - Martin (8 / 0 / 2)
2 - Naughton (0 / 0 / 0)

English attended 13 centre bounces with the team winning the clearance 5 times (39%), losing it 5 times (39%) and bringing it to a secondary stoppage 3 times (23%).

Martin attended 7 centre bounces with the team winning the clearance 2 times (29%), losing it 4 times (57%) and bringing it to a secondary stoppage once (14%).

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 8
GW: 4

English v Keeffe (29 contests)
Hitouts: 14 / 7
To Advantage: 5 / 1
Clearances: 11 / 11
Score: 1.0 (6) / 0.0 (0)

English v Briggs (13 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 3
To Advantage: 1 / 2
Clearances: 4 / 7
Score: 2.1 (13) / 0.1 (1)

Martin v Briggs (13 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 6
To Advantage: 0 / 1
Clearances: 4 / 6
Score: 0.0 (0) / 1.0 (6)

Martin v Keeffe (8 contests)
Hitouts: 4 / 2
To Advantage: 0 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 4
Score: 0.0 (0) / 1.0 (6)

First Possessions
WB: 38

GW: 34

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 32 / 23
GW: 32 / 20

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 60%
GW: 61%

Smothers
WB: 7

GW: 12

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 51%
GW: 59%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 77%
GW: 83%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
GW: 5

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
GW: 6

Score Launches
2 - Bontempelli, Dale, English, Liberatore, Richards, West
1 - Daniel, Darcy, Macrae, B. Smith, A. Treloar

Shots At Goal
WB: 20 (45%)
GW: 17 (47%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / GWS)
Set Shot: 3.2 / 4.3
Snap: 3.4 / 2.3
On Run: 3.1 / 2.2
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.1 / 0.0
15M-30M: 3.1 / 4.1
31M-40M: 1.2 / 0.2
41M-50M: 3.3 / 3.5
51M+: 1.0 / 1.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.0 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 4.1 / 3.2

Targets Inside 50

11 - No target
11 - Naughton
10 - Ugle-Hagan
2 - West, Williams
1 - Bontempelli, Martin, Vandermeer, Weightman

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 32
GW: 46

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 9

GW: 7

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 20
GW: 20

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 46

GW: 51

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 10
GW: 12

Unforced Turnovers By Player
1 - Bontempelli, Dale, Dunkley, Gardner, Hunter, McNeil, Richards, B. Smith, Vandermeer, Williams

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 6

GW: 3

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Richards
1 - Daniel, Martin, Vandermeer, Weightman

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
114 - Macrae
111 - Daniel
106 - Richards
100 - Bontempelli
95 - Liberatore
95 - Treloar
90 - Dunkley
88 - Dale
88 - English
86 - B. Smith
75 - Ugle-Hagan
74 - Williams
62 - Darcy
58 - Gardner
57 - Hunter
53 - Cordy
45 - Naughton
45 - West
36 - Weightman
30 - McNeil
29 - Martin
23 - Vandermeer
DNP - R. Smith

AFL Player Rating Points
16.3 - Macrae
15.0 - Liberatore
14.1 - English
13.8 - Bontempelli
13.8 - Richards
12.7 - Williams
12.5 - Daniel
12.2 - Treloar
11.9 - Dale
10.3 - Gardner
10.1 - Ugle-Hagan
10.0 - Darcy
9.1 - Dunkley
7.5 - West
7.3 - B. Smith
7.2 - Weightman
7.1 - Cordy
4.9 - McNeil
4.0 - Martin
3.5 - Naughton
3.1 - Vandermeer
-0.6 - Hunter
DNP - R. Smith

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 58%
GW: 42%

Q2
WB: 55%
GW: 45%

Q3
WB: 41%
GW: 59%

Q4
WB: 58%
GW: 42%

Match
WB: 53%
GW: 47%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 187 (Average)
GW: 196 (Above Average)

Q2
WB: 155 (Poor)
GW: 171 (Below Average)

Q3
WB: 154 (Poor)
GW: 194 (Above Average)

Q4
WB: 176 (Below Average)
GW: 172 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 168 (Poor)
GW: 183 (Average)

Free Kick Summary
FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

I watched Gardner closely today. He was awful. Hogan could've kicked 10 if GWS had kicked to him. Had no body on him and constantly trailed him standing in no man's land.
Was disappointed as I thought he'd turned a corner.
I was sitting in the pocket on level 2 down GWS’ end in the third so had a pretty good view of it. His positioning on Hogan was horrible. Just gave him no respect and refused to move to a better position to cover Hogan even when it was obvious it was going to be kicked to him

I was sitting in the pocket on level 2 down GWS’ end in the third so had a pretty good view of it. His positioning on Hogan was horrible. Just gave him no respect and refused to move to a better position to cover Hogan even when it was obvious it was going to be kicked to him
I actually yelled "Hey Ryan your man is over here" a few times.
Lucky GWS were more inept than us.

Can anyone give me the time of Naughton’s alleged push in the back? I want to go back and watch it but I’m not willing to wade through the game.

Thought it was very refreshing that Bevo basically joked and admitted we weren't good enough to give finals a shake even if we qualified in the presser, as opposed to pretend that we're somehow got some almost entitlement to flags.

Success comes from an acceptance in a zero-sum environment that other teams also are trying to win flags and some are executing that better than others. It's always the s**t clubs that when their coaches say stuff "that's not the brand of footy we want to play" with the inclination that "our brand" in and of itself is good enough to win flags, suggesting the club's colours are entitled to success. See Essendon in the last 20 years. Recognition that from top to bottom, while we doing things, better than the average of all other clubs, the fact that we aren't entitled to success unless we do them the best of all 18 (or near enough) is refreshing from Bevo then the tripe you hear from most other clubs.

When was the one that you are talking about being out of bounds
Late in the last quarter, perhaps 3 minutes to go. Footscray end, facing the goal, left hand side, between forward pocket and half forward flank. Naughton came from behind, probably got his hands on it, sailed past the pack then grabbed it for the second bite but the boundary umpire adjudged the second grab to be over the line.
Wutt? He took and completed the mark, then was taken out of bounds
That's not how the boundary umpire saw it. It was close to where we sit and my unruly mate really became unruly. Boundary lines are on a curve. I've no reason to doubt the boundary umpire. We have to win on merit, not on real or imagined umpire error We fight another day. Bev's on a new course.

Naughton and JUH were robbed of clear marks. Multiple times today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marra is really attacking the footy in the air now, isn't he? He's gonna be an incredible player and I don't think it will take him long to get there at all. He has already exceeded Matt Spangher on career goals. The Apprentice has surpassed the Master.

Late in the last quarter, perhaps 3 minutes to go. Footscray end, facing the goal, left hand side, between forward pocket and half forward flank. Naughton came from behind, probably got his hands on it, sailed past the pack then grabbed it for the second bite but the boundary umpire adjudged the second grab to be over the line.

That's not how the boundary umpire saw it. It was close to where we sit and my unruly mate really became unruly. Boundary lines are on a curve. I've no reason to doubt the boundary umpire. We have to win on merit, not on real or imagined umpire error We fight another day. Bev's on a new course.
That is not what happened. The boundary umpired called it out of bounds because the field umpire said the ball was touched.

The mark was completed well inside the boundary line, but when the field umpire called touch, Naughton was then tackled and taken over the boundary line, hence the boundary umpire signalling out of bounds.

There is no way the ball was touched and it should have been paid as a mark to Naughton.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was very refreshing that Bevo basically joked and admitted we weren't good enough to give finals a shake even if we qualified in the presser, as opposed to pretend that we're somehow got some almost entitlement to flags.
Agree.

More refreshing thou would be admitting his tactics are a dogs breakfast. My eyes tell me he’s done nothing to adjust from his set ways all year.

Pretending that Sweet would have offered more just has no grounding in reality. They split responsibilities in the VFL recently, same time ruck recently in the same game in the same conditions playing almost identical periods of time forward and ruck, and Martin wad clearly, demonstratively better. Not "ah Martin was better" but one was near BOG and the other had a poor game. This has been pretty consistent over the course of this season and last.

People can't purport to want to reward form, or not to "play favourites" with selection and then defend the selection of Sweet for this game.

I get that bringing in Martin to play 60% TOG and do not much is a bit pointless, but that means if all our English ruck support options are so poor then we don't "need" to give English support like people are calling for which is my original point.

Maybe Sweet as the better pure tap ruck would make more sense for selection if English was not going to be the first ruck taking the vast majority of contests but he is and we have to accept that as our rigid structures in selection.

The question mark is on Stef's fitness, not ability relative to Sweet.

Who cares about the vfl, it’s clear when Sweet’s in the side he adds something when he goes into the ruck which Martin simply cannot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was paid as OOB as the **** ump didnt pay the mark not because he juggled it over the line

That is not what happened. The boundary umpired called it out of bounds because the field said the ball was touched.

The mark was completed well inside the boundary line, but when the field umpire called touch, Naughton was then tackled and taken over the boundary line, hence the boundary umpire signalling out of bounds.

There is no way the ball was touched and it should have been paid as a mark to Naughton.
That's not what I saw. Whether Naughton even got his hands on the first grab is questionable. As far as I'm concerned, the Umpire(s) in both cases was entitled to pay the in the back and out of bounds. This is petty stuff.

That's not what I saw. Whether Naughton even got his hands on the first grab is questionable. As far as I'm concerned, the Umpire(s) in both cases was entitled to pay the in the back and out of bounds. This is petty stuff.

Except on the replay it's pretty clear that the Giants defender took a massive fresh airey when Naughton juggled it because there was ******* daylight between the defender and the ball.

It was paid as OOB as the **** ump didnt pay the mark not because he juggled it over the line
Unless Naughton got his hands on the ball at first grab, even from where I sit, a few rows back, that's questionable (see post 209 " probably got his hands on i...") is open to scrutiny, the umpire is a professional and was closer than me, if he'd adjudged that Naughton didn't, and he did, where does that leave you ? If you say the umpire was wrong, you'll have to offer more than the opinion of a naturally biased supporter.

Last edited:
Except on the replay it's pretty clear that the Giants defender took a massive fresh airey when Naughton juggled it because there was ******* daylight between the defender and the ball.
I haven't seen your replay, yet, Testerkill. Unless it's clear and unambiguous, you have to give the Umpire the benefit of any doubt. They are blokes doing their jobs. Do you really advance that they deliberately discriminate against our club ? If that was the case, the whole competition would fail, who would take it seriously ? the AFL isn't the Chinese Communist Party.

Unless Naughton got his hands on the ball at first grab, even from where I sit, a few rows back, that's questionable (see post 209 " probably got his hands on i...") is open to scrutiny, the umpire is a professional and was closer to me, if he'd adjudged that Naughton didn't, and he did, where does that leave you ? If you say the umpire was wrong, you'll have to offer more than the opinion of a naturally biased supporter.
I was mainly disputing you saying that it was paid OOB because he juggled the mark over the line. The 'mark' was completed before he was taken over the line.

Whether it was actually a mark is another question but I am pretty sure the replay confirmed that it was a mark and the defender didn't touch it and the commentators agreed with that.

I was mainly disputing you saying that it was paid OOB because he juggled the mark over the line. The 'mark' was completed before he was taken over the line.

Whether it was actually a mark is another question but I am pretty sure the replay confirmed that it was a mark and the defender didn't touch it and the commentators agreed with that.
Fair point, F32. To be fair, I can't say with any certainty where on the ground it was that Naughton finally acquired control of the ball, I rely upon what I saw the boundary ump signal, all within, say, 5o metres of where I was sitting. Further, I didn't think that Naughton touched the ball on first pack contest. Umpires don't make too many mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back