Preview Changes round 23 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

The method prevails! Therefore no changes needed.
Loljk
Brown is cooked. Makes a contest occasionally (and yes made the winning one) but offers * all. Try JVR, try Joel Smith, he'll try Deakyn Smith at FF for all I care.
Spargo and ANB each looked ordinary throughout. Sparrow pretty ho-hum. Didn't do a lot. At least one of those three should be out for Harmes.
Hunt a bit meh. Some good, some bad. Maybe goes for Bowey? Doubt Goody makes a stack of changes.
I'd go:
Out: BBB, Spargo, Sparrow
In: JVR, Harmes, Laurie

I know that the coaches are conservative and the win will paper over the cracks, so I expect minimal changes.

Ok. So most people here will see my post history and see I'm a big Brown and Lever fan. For the sake of the team they need a rest.

Out: Brown, Lever, ANB, Sparrow
In: JVR (come on, he can't offer less), Turner, Laurie, Harmes.

Want some rationale?
Brown - generally it's better to mark the ball 2 handed. You have 2 of them, use them.
Lever - No composure. Looked off all year and I've turned a blind eye cause you have leadership.
ANB - mostly invisible for weeks. No impact on scoreboard or goal assists.
Sparrow - Invisible and not playing your role well enough.

Jordan is a massive liability, don’t really care if he has shown improvement or is young.

It is finals time in a couple of weeks: having a player that can’t mark, doesn’t show urgency, has no leg speed, has poor decision making and has poor disposal is going to cost us in the games that matter.

Harmes needs to come in for him - at least shows some urgency.

Jordan is a massive liability, don’t really care if he has shown improvement or is young.

It is finals time in a couple of weeks: having a player that can’t mark, doesn’t show urgency, has no leg speed, has poor decision making and has poor disposal is going to cost us in the games that matter.

Harmes plays the wing does he?

Jordan had a shocker of a 1st Qtr. Improved 2nd half, but generally poor imo.

I would consider playing Hibbo sometime thru a game, at HFF. Today, we needed someone around the contested ground ball with strength thru the hips, to break a tackle and shoot for goal. His desperation would be very handy. Not Petracca...

And with this Hibbo idea, I would consider Bowey as an in.

I would also rest Jordan, for a week. For Harmes

Not sure of the team balance, just yet.

I think Harmes has to come in for someone.

BBB is a serious issue. He stuck to his guns and did some important things late but was terrible for most of the night. Given how bad our forward options are, with no TMac, we have to try something.

This is rolling the dice stuff (and I'm prepared to get whacked for this) but Thomlinson is 194cm and his defensive measures may actually be better than nothing. Weid doesn't compete, B Brown is knackered, M Brown not sure about.

Gawn is all over the place when up forward too.

Throw Thomlinson a bone, god knows he'd be hungry as *. His confidence in defense was shot but up forward he can just back himself and have a crack and just apply pressure.

If it doesnt work then fine but against Brisbane at the 'Gabba I'm not sure what other forward option would work anyway right at the minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBB is a serious issue. He stuck to his guns and did some important things late but was terrible for most of the night. Given how bad our forward options are, with no TMac, we have to try something.

This is rolling the dice stuff (and I'm prepared to get whacked for this) but Thomlinson is 194cm and his defensive measures may actually be better than nothing. Weid doesn't compete, B Brown is knackered, M Brown not sure about.

Throw Thomlinson a bone, god knows he'd be hungry as *. His confidence in defense was shot but up forward he can just back himself and have a crack and just apply pressure.

If it doesnt work then fine but against Brisbane at the 'Gabba I'm not sure what other forward option would work anyway right at the minute.
Brown’s first half was awful, but thought he made an important contribution in the second. But it was a pretty low baseline. Continuity of effort was good though, certainly didn’t drop his head and if he had we would have lost.

I completely agree with the premise. But I think they might roll the dice with Joel Smith up forward, no Tomlinson. Smith has been up forward in the VFL since returning from injury. I'd be up for making that gamble at AFL level tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure we can carry Jordon and Sparrow. Both were very ordinary last night. Yes, Lever, Brown and Spargo were as well but Goody isn't going to make wholesale changes. I'd bring in Bowey and move Salem to a wing and surely Harmes can do Sparrows role better.

Out Jordon, Sparrow
In Bowey, Harmes

Harmes for Sparrow is the biggest no brainer of all time. Harmes is better than sparrow at the positions Sparrow plays plus he may also need to go to Neale at some stage.

I like Spargo but can’t justify him repeatedly being able to be as quiet as he was again last night. Chandler surely deserves a go.

Wouldn’t expect any other changes because there’s no way they’re playing Jordon on a wing for 22 weeks straight and then changing it one week before finals. I really hope others are given a go at his wing next year though.

I know that the coaches are conservative and the win will paper over the cracks, so I expect minimal changes.

Ok. So most people here will see my post history and see I'm a big Brown and Lever fan. For the sake of the team they need a rest.

Out: Brown, Lever, ANB, Sparrow
In: JVR (come on, he can't offer less), Turner, Laurie, Harmes.

Want some rationale?
Brown - generally it's better to mark the ball 2 handed. You have 2 of them, use them.
Lever - No composure. Looked off all year and I've turned a blind eye cause you have leadership.
ANB - mostly invisible for weeks. No impact on scoreboard or goal assists.
Sparrow - Invisible and not playing your role well enough.
Lever competed really well. I don’t think we are even entertaining leaving him out.

The method prevails! Therefore no changes needed.
Loljk
Brown is cooked. Makes a contest occasionally (and yes made the winning one) but offers * all. Try JVR, try Joel Smith, he'll try Deakyn Smith at FF for all I care.
Spargo and ANB each looked ordinary throughout. Sparrow pretty ho-hum. Didn't do a lot. At least one of those three should be out for Harmes.
Hunt a bit meh. Some good, some bad. Maybe goes for Bowey? Doubt Goody makes a stack of changes.
I'd go:
Out: BBB, Spargo, Sparrow
In: JVR, Harmes, Laurie
Agree.

We won’t, though

Anyone who thinks Jordon is getting dropped doesn’t understand structure or how wings work. You also can’t drop Spargo for going all duck or no dinner when he’s our best I50 kick - his output is limited by how s**t our mids are at bringing the half forward line into the game consistently, Chandler and Bedford would have the same issues without making the most of their limited opportunities. Can only really drop him for another tall, which we don’t have.

Brown’s first half was awful, but thought he made an important contribution in the second. But it was a pretty low baseline. Continuity of effort was good though, certainly didn’t drop his head and if he had we would have lost.
I agree with all of that, he's trying hard but he's struggling atm.

I don't so much want to penalise the guy but an extended break before finals may do him wonders mentally and physically. If he drops off even more against Brisbane his confidence takes a further hit too.

Goodwin will play him next week either way though.

I completely agree with the premise. But I think they might roll the dice with Joel Smith up forward, no Tomlinson. Smith has been up forward in the VFL since returning from injury. I'd be up for making that gamble at AFL level tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If any changes were made it would probably be Smith, you're right.

I just see the Smith option as a bit too similar to Fritch. We need a bigger body in there and some more hunger like Melk showed. Thomo may not be the answer but I like the psychological angle of giving him a challenge and if he could bring a bit of TMac style chaos that's a win.

The problem is it's R23 coming up which means we've run out time to give something like this a decent chance.

Goody will go safe, whatever that proves to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back