Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 22 - Demons v Blues Sat August 13th 7:25pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Carlton by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Carlton by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Carlton by a lot

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brown did take two contested marks on the night and averages 1.3 a game on the season.

But the problem is with the amount of ball directed at him those numbers are still low.

Then what’s worse is when Brown doesn’t take the mark he is often comprehensively beaten so Melbourne’s crumbing forwards are then left out of position.

Add to that Brown is rarely taking uncontested marks on the lead, and his range seems to have dropped to 45 metres.

It is a major problem but I’m not sure if Melbourne are brave enough to try an alternative this late in the year.

The problem is he leads and they don't pass it to him.

Whereas he stays deep and stagnant and the kick it on his ******* head

No one in the team lowers their eyes when they run forward, was so blatantly obvious last night and almost cost us the game

No way Melksham does what he does last night in multiple games in the finals

You are entitled to be wrong, George has elevated his game this year being played in different role he isn't the 20 touch defensive tagger you had he is now a 30 touch 4 centre clearance beast who has been every bit as good as Cripps.
Hewett isn't an A grader

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
That was where Carlton folded.

He hits the target and Saad runs down another 15 seconds

It was Owies.

They screwed up a few further times tho - (a) when Harry and Walsh (I think) spoiled each other when Saad kicked it forward; (b) when the three defenders (Gov, Marchbank and Young) probably could've marked it amongst themselves but instead the ball falconed off Young's head to the boundary line; (c) Newnes' defensive effort on Kosi.

It was Owies.

They screwed up a few further times tho - (a) when Harry and Walsh (I think) spoiled each other when Saad kicked it forward; (b) when the three defenders (Gov, Marchbank and Young) probably could've marked it amongst themselves but instead the ball falconed off Young's head to the boundary line; (c) Newnes' defensive effort on Kosi.

Yeah its a tad harsh on Owies

Yeah when that ball got spoiled over the line I remember thinking geez we got lucky there

You guys play like that next week and you beat the Pies. But there is a chance that lose potentially breaks the players spirits.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It was Owies.

I’d blame newnes the least, kosi is mercurial

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah its a tad harsh on Owies

Yeah when that ball got spoiled over the line I remember thinking geez we got lucky there

You guys play like that next week and you beat the Pies. But there is a chance that lose potentially breaks the players spirits.

It'd be a non-negotiable to bring the same level of pressure and intensity to Pies who have their game built on that. Definitely could go either way based on yesterday's result.

Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Los Angeles Clippers
twAYdTW.png

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jake Lever was horrible in that game and when he is down on form so are the Dees.

Brayshaw back to half back. He is a crabber in midfield, wins a lot of it but he isn't doing any damage and the Dees win enough with Petracca, Oliver and Viney anyway. Brayshaw seemed to be impacting the game more at half back with his intercepts.

I'd take Hibberd or Rivers out for Harmes and play Brayshaw back.

If I was responsible for the Dees forward line, I'd probably put a shotgun in my mouth and blast away. What a s**t show. Gotta be the most predictably boring ball movement from such a talented team. They need to take more risks to kick more goals.
Great points.

I think though that Hibberd will stay. He is a very hard and experienced defender and you need that for finals. His contest was excellent last night. Brayshaw I agree back. I’d definitely bring Harmes in as he can score, tag and play a wing. I’d be dropping Jordan or Sparrow first.

Ben Browns ability to contest is awful. He would be getting beaten by VFL defenders. We have a few issues. Our F50 entries are woeful, our lack of ability to want to take it on is pretty concerning, aka like Collingwood does very well; fast ball movement through the middle plus a quick transition game, and a non competitive tall forward.

I’d be picking Joel Smith or Tomlinson. Probably Smith. Has been playing forward in the VFL. He is mobile, tall, and can’t be worse.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh, Curnow & Weitering were poor last nite, had they played better it may have been a different result.

However, this was the loss we needed to have.

None of the players were smiling and patting backs last nite, it hurt and for good reason.

This was our 'line in the sand' moment and the players now know the level of intensity you have to play at every week across a season if you want to win a premiership.

A handful of players really rose to the occassion, others were found wanting when it really mattered, it will all go towards the end of season reviews and list managment decisions.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Walsh, Curnow & Weitering were poor last nite, had they played better it may have been a different result.

However, this was the loss we needed to have.

None of the players were smiling and patting backs last nite, it hurt and for good reason.

This was our 'line in the sand' moment and the players now know the level of intensity you have to play at every week across a season if you want to win a premiership.

A handful of players really rose to the occassion, others were found wanting when it really mattered, it will all go towards the end of season reviews and list managment decisions.
I sort of agree. We missed out on finals in 2017 by losing to Collingwood in the last round. We made a PF the following year, flapped about for 2 years and then won a flag. The bones of your group are excellent or can be. McKay, Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Fisher, Saad, Silvagni. I don’t think Voss will shirk tough calls at trade time either. You’d most likely be finding new homes for Dow and O’Brien.

I’d expect Carlton to be top 4 next year for sure.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I sort of agree. We missed out on finals in 2017 by losing to Collingwood in the last round. We made a PF the following year, flapped about for 2 years and then won a flag. The bones of your group are excellent or can be. McKay, Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Fisher, Saad, Silvagni. I don’t think Voss will shirk tough calls at trade time either. You’d most likely be finding new homes for Dow and O’Brien.

I’d expect Carlton to be top 4 next year for sure.

Agreed.

Dow & O'Brien are in real danger of finding a new home whilst I've never been a fan of Newnes. I had really high hopes for Stocker but he just isn't kicking on as I was expecting, Martin played a blinder second half but they are rarities instead of the norm plus if Cerra & Hewett come back in, then there is no place for Setterfield who seems to be treading water anyway. It seems like one too many small forwards so I'm expecting one of Durdin, Motlop & Owies to go especially as we need another quality avenue to goal if Curnow or McKay are well held.

Blues need some subtle tweaks in the off season but the nucleus is there already.

Last edited:
You are entitled to be wrong, George has elevated his game this year being played in different role he isn't the 20 touch defensive tagger you had he is now a 30 touch 4 centre clearance beast who has been every bit as good as Cripps.

George has always been good in-and-under. It's not anything new that he can get clearances or lots of touches. Can also kick on both feet.
Now that he plays for a Victorian club suddenly Victorians club supporters think he has morphed into some sort of player that he never was.
Soz. He is still the same George he was when at the Swans. We simply did not have a spot for him, we have enough of his kind of player. They are not A-graders, they are expendable & can be replaced by other players who are also not A-Graders.
Ryan Clarke, who is more limited than George, has essentially taken over George's role.

Back