Roast 5 from 16. We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d really like Chapman back for Q&A with members. Like a 2 hour live-streamed presser with member Q&A. Roo and Chappy; the two common threads over past decade and a half. Let our older generation members who rock up rain, hail or shine with their player badges sewn on their rugs, intellectually dissect them for a couple of hours. That would be cathartic enough for me to move on.
I think Roo is the source of a lot of the recent headaches, but do not bunch him in with Chapman.

Chapman is an exponentially worse character in the history of the club. Being chairman at the time of the Tippett saga, and “backing the boys in” attitude when Trigg and Reid Snr should have gone straight under the bus was culpable.

I think Roo is the source of a lot of the recent headaches, but do not bunch him in with Chapman.

Chapman is an exponentially worse character in the history of the club. Being chairman at the time of the Tippett saga, and “backing the boys in” attitude when Trigg and Reid Snr should have gone straight under the bus was culpable.
It’s the same attitude from same clique at footy club. Roo’s comments following Tippett Saga and a litany of other Club leadership errors “Whatever decision has to be made, from the top to the bottom, will be made and the supporters ... should back the people in and if they don't well then maybe they don't need to barrack for the footy club”.

It’s the same attitude from same clique at footy club. Roo’s comments following Tippett Saga and a litany of other Club leadership errors “Whatever decision has to be made, from the top to the bottom, will be made and the supporters ... should back the people in and if they don't well then maybe they don't need to barrack for the footy club”.
Weren’t Roos comments made whilst Chapman was still around? Is there not a common denominator there?

Chappy and that board were threatened with being brought under the bus with Trigg. The AFL accepted the 1 year of draft penalties and Trigg being sacked. Trigg then threatened to bring the board with him so they negotiated his suspension and extra year of draft picks.

Not being a smart ass, genuinely interested - has anyone that's been vocal in here earlier in the year had a change of heart on where things are at as the season has progressed? Obviously our last 3 wins feature 2 bottom dwellers though I did think the west coast win was better than it looks on paper.

I was starting to lose the faith but some of our young guys improvement(Fog, Berry, Soligo), moving Keays out as a midfield mainstay, Murray taking some nice steps and Nick's backing the young guys more has me feeling more settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being a smart ass, genuinely interested - has anyone that's been vocal in here earlier in the year had a change of heart on where things are at as the season has progressed? Obviously our last 3 wins feature 2 bottom dwellers though I did think the west coast win was better than it looks on paper.

I was starting to lose the faith but some of our young guys improvement(Fog, Berry, Soligo), moving Keays out as a midfield mainstay, Murray taking some nice steps and Nick's backing the young guys more has me feeling more settled.

We won 3 out of our last 4 in 2020

Need to be careful of taking too much from late season fixtures when the cue isn’t always out the rack

Need to be careful of taking too much from late season fixtures when the cue isn’t always out the rack
Not disagreeing, was just curious if anyone has had any sentiment shift, totally fine it not.

Unlikely to just be smooth sailing because of an ok end to the year.

Where did you expect us to be this season?

We’ve got one more win than last year, hopefully two, and our percentage has improved 6.9%, hopefully more. This has been done after getting rid of senior players Lynch and Mackay and losing Seedsman and Sloane for most of the season. Essentially we’ve played more young players and still gotten better, that’s a positive.

We’re the 3rd ranked contested possession side, 3rd in clearances and 1st in tackles.

Rachele and Thilthorpe both look like being every bit as good as their draft picks suggest.

Soligo has emerged as an absolute steal.

Dawson (although played in the wrong position IMO) has been well worth the investment.

Berry and Fogarty have established themselves as best 22 and genuine future stars.

Schoenberg had a bad start to the year but has performed nicely in the second half, is winning more contested ball and his ball use has improved.

McAdam has been really good.

Plenty of other positive signs with players like Parnell, Hamill (fingers crossed), Hinge, Worrell etc.

We’re likely bringing in an elite talent in Rankine.

I think we’ll miss finals again next year, but we need to be prepared to wear a bit more pain, rebuilds are a long process. But that consistent improvement is there.

Where did you expect us to be this season?

We’ve got one more win than last year, hopefully two, and our percentage has improved 6.9%, hopefully more. This has been done after getting rid of senior players Lynch and Mackay and losing Seedsman and Sloane for most of the season. Essentially we’ve played more young players and still gotten better, that’s a positive.

We’re the 3rd ranked contested possession side, 3rd in clearances and 1st in tackles.

Rachele and Thilthorpe both look like being every bit as good as their draft picks suggest.

Soligo has emerged as an absolute steal.

Dawson (although played in the wrong position IMO) has been well worth the investment.

Berry and Fogarty have established themselves as best 22 and genuine future stars.

Schoenberg had a bad start to the year but has performed nicely in the second half, is winning more contested ball and his ball use has improved.

McAdam has been really good.

Plenty of other positive signs with players like Parnell, Hamill (fingers crossed), Hinge, Worrell etc.

We’re likely bringing in an elite talent in Rankine.

I think we’ll miss finals again next year, but we need to be prepared to wear a bit more pain, rebuilds are a long process. But that consistent improvement is there.
Schoenberg his output is still a bit lighter than you'd hope but yep his ball use in recent weeks has been back to a pretty decent standard & set up some great attacking plays. Still a bit iffy on his output over the course of matches but hopefully next year he puts it together. We've seen Fogarty get it together so no reason to think Schoenberg cant also.

Do you think in relation to Dawson part of him being down back is that our 2 KPD's are extremely raw still so we simply need his level of experience not to mention ball use back there? It's not like we are stacked with good ball users down there and Hinge just didn't really seem up to it defensively imo.

I'm not really sold on Parnell yet but his body really isn't at AFL level so fine to see him continue to get games regardless.

Other than the Roos both Carlton and West Coast had plenty to play for

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton maybe had a lot to play for, they didn't play like it. Thats the difference. They were pretty average.

West Coast, Like the Roos gave it a massive crack. They just couldn't sustain it. Again thats the difference. Had we played Melbourne, Geelong and Brisbane we would have got smacked.

Late season wins are great for young players confidence but essentially they are still meaningless if we can't carry that into next season.

Schoenberg his output is still a bit lighter than you'd hope but yep his ball use in recent weeks has been back to a pretty decent standard & set up some great attacking plays. Still a bit iffy on his output over the course of matches but hopefully next year he puts it together. We've seen Fogarty get it together so no reason to think Schoenberg cant also.

We need to remember he has very low TOG, I suspect he’s still developing an AFL tank. Give him a few more pre seasons and I think we’ll see his output increase significantly.

The thing that’s impressed me is he’s shown the ability to have an impact on the inside and outside.

Carlton maybe had a lot to play for, they didn't play like it. Thats the difference. They were pretty average.
why do you not give us any credit for the way we played having an influence on how Carlton played?

We need to remember he has very low TOG, I suspect he’s still developing an AFL tank. Give him a few more pre seasons and I think we’ll see his output increase significantly.

The thing that’s impressed me is he’s shown the ability to have an impact on the inside and outside.

why do you not give us any credit for the way we played having an influence on how Carlton played?
His outside game is the especially exciting part to me.

West Coast, Like the Roos gave it a massive crack. They just couldn't sustain it. Again thats the difference. Had we played Melbourne, Geelong and Brisbane we would have got smacked.

Late season wins are great for young players confidence but essentially they are still meaningless if we can't carry that into next season.
So the youngest side in the comp & rebuilding is expected to be in the same ball park as the top 4 sides & legit contenders or its a fail?

Back