Autopsy Ran outta soldiers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I might disagree with you there. But this is great news.

This is from today. We scored 10 points from chains beginning in the back half. Adelaide scored 52.
View attachment 1475995

And this is from the Bombers match.

View attachment 1475996

This tells me that if we can manage to break even on defending transition, we are immediately a 30 point better team.

Which tells me we’re only a good coach away from being a much much better team.

It’s been easy this year to watch us and think that we’re a rabble with everything wrong. But only six months ago, we were all bullish coming into this season.

So what’s more likely? That all of us were idiots then and we’re right now? Or that we were right then and have had our confidence shot by a year where a lot of things went wrong in a black box that we can’t access?

We have a good list. If Clarko is coming it’s definitely because he sees the bones of a contender in what we already have.

52 points to 10 on transition. That is great news, because it means that our problems are concentrated and not myriad. We’re small fixes away from large gains.

A good coach improves us by 6 goals immediately if he can get us to defend our forward half better and get a more cohesive forward 6.

I've been to Korea and didn't like the food at all. I reckon the reason they all so skinny as who would want to eat a cuisine where pickled cabbage is the pinnacle of their food. I constantly rag the Koreans I work with about this but I play Starcraft so they forgive me.

Watched the first half but it's on early morning over here so fell asleep.

Don't want to watch the rest as I know what I will see.

One thing though that no one has mentioned. Gee Goldy can play this game and has a feel for it.

Meat pie ( supposedly ) Reckon the Koreans might be one up when it comes to the national dish. You know there are 72 different varieties ? Gotta try them all.

The other macro thing that stood out for me yesterday was that our turnovers made it easy for their forwards and had for our defenders. Over and over, they got a wayward pass and whipped it up to their forwards before we could get any defensive structure ready. Not just because we were being bold, but because we missed targets.

So much good to work with, though. That second quarter was insane. LDU was ridiculous, Jy was right there with him, Goldy very good again (please stay), Curtis impressed again, Scott was everywhere. And Cunners, the emotion was beautiful but to see glimpses again of how good he is was also so, so good. I was also impressed with Archer and Dawson, and Buckets was strong as always.

Every player we lost to injury was having a big impact so to lose that impact as well as the rotations made it too hard to hang on in the end. That’s ok. We’ve quickly come a long way from watching games that were pretty terrible apart from one decent quarter, and the good yesterday was again really promising for next season. Thanks Patchy.

I'm not a knock on the bloke for the sake of it, and he has some attributes - a nice left foot, reads it well and can mark. The problem is the one you refer to - he's been in the system for 3 years and is pretty much the body shape he was at the start. Unfortunately, for some, that's just how it is - Jarrad Grant comes to mind, and a fair way back, David Bourke. I think I'm right in saying even as a Cat B, after 3 years he has to go on the main list? Kallan Dawson has gone past him in a month, so not sure where that main list spot is going to come from
He can have another year as a Cat B? He did shoot up 4cm this year, that's going to make chucking on muscle even harder. I'd be inclined to give him another year, but won't be crying over spilled milk if he gets moved on. Has some attributes to build upon

it’s good to get the shackles off and play all out attack and man on man defence but it’s not going to get us anywhere in the long term.

Big preseason of skills and zone defence. Next year will be setting the team standard for applying pressure to limit turnover impact. We have two more years of learning and development before we start looking like a finished, finals competitive product.

Well that was a fair meltdown by ol' Lloydy.

I'm a bit too passionate, sorry all.

We played quite well actually, certainly improved in various areas which is promising.

Last edited:
Well that was a fair meltdown by ol' Lloydy.

We played quite well actually, certainly improved in various areas which is promising.

I was personally happy with our improvements over the past 4-5 weeks under Patch. I loved the effort and guts we played against Adelaide but yeah as soon as we started getting sore players in the middle of the 3rd we started to collapse. Ran out of legs, lost confidence and our structure. We honestly should have won.

I think we got to realise we are still a bottom team and the most positive thing is we are on the hunt for Clarko, we had a full review, we got rid of noble etc so change is coming :)

I've been working on a bit of a player/game rating project. Took me a while to figure out how to get the data. I'll look towards posting some kind of "B&F" for the whole season after the last round, but here's a snippet from the Adelaide game just gone.

The main callout is that Hall's net contribution was -19 points, which is the exact margin that we lost by.

View attachment 1476252
Aaron Hall is listed twice.

We also lost the game by 29 not 19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was personally happy with our improvements over the past 4-5 weeks under Patch. I loved the effort and guts we played against Adelaide but yeah as soon as we started getting sore players in the middle of the 3rd we started to collapse. Ran out of legs, lost confidence and our structure. We honestly should have won.

I think we got to realise we are still a bottom team and the most positive thing is we are on the hunt for Clarko, we had a full review, we got rid of noble etc so change is coming :)

That's what I think too (bold) but I copped a lot of heat for thinking that so i'm not going there again.

Your second para is spot on I agree - it's exciting for sure, but won't be an overnight fix that is for sure.

Aaron Hall is listed twice.

We also lost the game by 29 not 19.

Whoops, was way too stoned when I posted that lol

Will have to check the double Aaron Hall though. I think that's a manual error from me in Excel when formatting rather than a duplicate in the data.

Still, a net contribution of -3 goals exists. Not a great game from him yesterday.

Whoops, was way too stoned when I posted that lol

Will have to check the double Aaron Hall though. I think that's a manual error from me in Excel when formatting rather than a duplicate in the data.

Still, a net contribution of -3 goals exists. Not a great game from him yesterday.
I mean, I know he didn’t play well… but not certain he played twice as crap as others

Given the numbers yesterday, we need to connect the forward line to the midfield and stiffen up the defence and we will win games.
I know easier said than done, but the clearances and forward 50 entrances don't lie. We had enough of the footy to win the game, just got to turn that quantity into quality. Clarko will the bring structures both forward and back to bring this about, I have no doubt.

I mean, I know he didn’t play well… but not certain he played twice as crap as others

That's not really how it works though. "Score" in this context means a literal score, not an arbitrary rating. -19 means that he created turnovers that resulted in 19 points for the opposition.

This team is the total opposite to the team of 2013-15.

Strong forward line and limited inside midfield and now it's our most talented midfield with a struggling forward line.

That's not really how it works though. "Score" in this context means a literal score, not an arbitrary rating. -19 means that he created turnovers that resulted in 19 points for the opposition.

krakouers only just got your joke lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back