Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

You are implying he improved this year. I don’t agree. He has been exceedingly mediocre
He’s played 18 games.

People watching that game, seeing the amount of ball that just breezed into the their forward half, wanting to critique our youngest defender make my brain hurt.

I know we're a young team but boy when we go missing, we do it right.

Once again Newk was the best mid, bruest with enough class and sicily holding his own.

I know they've both battled injuries but Titch and Impey have dropped off enormously, would almost go so far to say will struggle to best 22 if there downturn continues.

BB looks shot but just tries his guts out, love him.

If I knew longsleeves (Sicily) was going to line up in the centre I would have thrown a lot on Richmond. Experiment game, but wonder if anything learnt.

Put it on record I wanted Elijah hollands over DGB
Well, I did too, but I still believe DGB can become one of the best intercepting defenders in the AFL. Key position players and rucks take longer than any other position in the game.

20.8 to 9.13.

They win the contest easily under any scenario, but if we covert a few more and them a few less it doesn't feel as depressing.

We're also at a point now where 24 touches and 5 tackles is a relatively quiet performance from Dylan Moore.

We just couldn't curtail Lynch. Blanck didn't even play a bad game offensively. And laid some nice tackles. Likewise Jeka. But they were so inexperienced down there despite their obvious talent.

INB4 Dom tries to tell us that Tom was actually pretty good today...

Oh...
He was far from our worst. Was in our best 6 ish players.

He had 32 disposals with 11 contested 13 kicks at 81% DE. (Almost 400 metres gained).

This included 2 goal assists and 9 score involvements.

3 clearances 5 tackles 5 inside 50s.

I’d be hammering into Jaeger who had just 15 disposals from 23 CBAs and was almost invisible.

Though I won’t excuse the main two mistakes from Mitchell which were even more annoying at the game. His attempted fend where they grabbed his wrist and HTB. And the blind kick where he could’ve centred it.

Sicily further up the ground was a success. Should persist.

Day forward afew weeks back was also good.

Kozi forward probably isn‘t the answer - He’s a KPD.

Moore in the middle works.

Jeka hasn’t had a goal kicked on him in 2 and a half games and 140+ inside 50’s - but he‘s a CHF and should be played there.

Pineapple definitely goes on Pizza.

Coach Killer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our mids got smashed in the clearances, which doesn't help, but our lack of forward half pressure was just as horrific.

Tigers moved the ball with ease from their D50.

We desperately need to draft a player that can bring what Rioli did for the Tigers today.

Sicily further up the ground was a success. Should persist.

Day forward afew weeks back was also good.

Kozi forward probably isn‘t the answer - He’s a KPD.

Moore in the middle works.

Jeka hasn’t had a goal kicked on him in 2 and a half games and 140+ inside 50’s - but he‘s a CHF and should be played there.

Pineapple definitely goes on Pizza.

Coach Killer.
I disagree with Sicily further up the ground. We should have kept the team similar to what's been leading us to come out victorious in games recently. Day needs to be allowed greater attacking freedom off half back/wing in 2023 as he had in 2021. Jeka needs to go back to playing forward despite him performing well in defence. We are still yet to see Jeka receive a genuine chance as a forward in the AFL. I also agree that pineapple belongs as a topping on pizza.

He had 32 disposals with 11 contested 13 kicks at 81% DE. (Almost 400 metres gained).

I’d be hammering into Jaeger who had just 15 disposals from 23 CBAs and was almost invisible.

Though I won’t excuse the main two mistakes from Mitchell which were even more annoying at the game. His attempted fend where they grabbed his wrist and HTB. And the blind kick where he could’ve centred it.
They were both horrendous, and there was even more evidence it’s gonna be more addition by subtraction ( just quietly JOM has been ok this year)

I said in the game day thread, when I was at training about a month ago, Sicily spent a stint training with the mids, so I don’t think was an impulsive experiment. Surely something that they’d wanted to try for a while. I gotta be honest, i didn’t hate it and suspect it’s a lever we might pull for short stints in games moving forward.

Definitely more positive than some about the game. Thought we did a lot of nice things at times and if you take out the 3rd quarter, we actually only the lose the game by a couple of goals. Tigers just have a way of punishing they have the momentum. Particularly a young and inexperienced backline.

All the usual issues are glaringly obvious and not worth stating. But I saw enough from the green shoots to be optimistic.

Yeh it's funny to me that because Mitchell actually busts his guts out every week he gets hammered because we can all see his flaws (and yes he does have them).

Yet JOM and other senior players like Gunston and Bruest have a habit of totally dropping of the face of the earth some games and nothing is said cause we barely notice they played.

It's always easy to pot the guy doing the heavy lifting, but bugger me at least he is actually having a crack whatever his flaws may be.

Yeh it's funny to me that because Mitchell actually busts his guts out every week he gets hammered because we can all see his flaws (and yes he does have them).

Yet JOM and other senior players like Gunston and Bruest have a habit of totally dropping of the face of the earth some games and nothing is said cause we barely notice they played.

It's always easy to pot the guy doing the heavy lifting, but bugger me at least he is actually having a crack whatever his flaws may be.
JOM has been fine most of the year.

Surprise surprise that Breust isn’t dominating when he’s playing one of the toughest positions on the ground and our midfield is routinely smacked.

Yeah, that stunk.

Positives: Maginness stuck to his defensive task and kept Bolton reasonably quiet. He won his contest for the day. Newcombe fought out all day as a one man midfield. He needs help. Sicily did well playing with freedom until we had to send him back to stop the rot, where he kept Lynch goalless. Jeka took some nice marks and did a few good things. Some encouraging signs there.

Negatives: midfield putrid. So bad. I won’t lay in to Blanck or DGB for getting beaten by Lynch, the supply was non-stop. Sicily stopped the bleeding in Q4. Day and Impey non contributors.

Leadership really poor, outside of Sicily and Newcombe. Nothing from O’Meara against a good opponent after being solid against rubbish in recent weeks. Mitchell was poor. Gunston and Breust were poor until junk time.
Lynch outmarked Sic in their first one on one when he went back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back