Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game. Just wanted to add a few points:

- Duke is a beast and getting closer to becoming our best & most important player, if he hasn’t reached that level already;

- Ward is so clean and efficient with his ball use. Usually takes the best option and hits a target. He’ll become so much more damaging when he finds more of it - i.e. consistently having 20-25 possessions each week;

- DGB will not be a KPD. He’s a 3rd tall/intercepting defender. We need to make sure we have 2 KPD’s alongside him. They can potentially be Blanck and Jeka;

- I’ve seen enough from Jeka to say there is something there. Whether that’s as a KPF or KPD, I’m sure Sam and the team know where his best fit is;

- Blanck got beaten comprehensively today. But he will learn from this and only get better from the experience;

- Day showed some glimpses today of what he can do. And they were great glimpses. Give him a full preseason and I’m confident he’ll perform much better next season;

- similarly with Serong, he showed some glimpses today (and last week) which indicate we have a player. He has a big leap, can take a grab, is super agile/mobile for someone of his size, competes hard and has 2nd and 3rd efforts;

- we need speed. And more speed. And more speed after that. We looked so slow today against a fast outfit. But we also need another tall forward. It’s going to be really interesting to see who we draft this year - Cadman (if he’s still there at our pick) or another midfielder? We desperately need both;

- Impey looks out of sorts. I’m hoping it’s because he’s carrying a niggle, otherwise his position in the team is not certain;

- we need to be really active at the trade table this year. Pick 6, 24 and Amon are good starts, but we need to rejig the midfield and bring in more talent. Worpel and Mitchell have the best currency at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were never interested in trying to win.

Sicily always matches up on Lynch and he had 4 on Blanky before he blinked .

Really poor effort from the club even if we were disguising a tank that was on the nose something terrible .

Some of those senior blokes on 30k for todays game (600-700k) per season should donate it back.

That was putrid.

Was waiting for that from you re Sicily. I hope you directed plenty of heat onto Sam Mitchell when Sic lined up away from the back 6. What an outrageous move. Sam should be banned from coaching for a week.

To call it a failure after 1 game where we were absolutely destroyed at the contest is foolish.

Glad Mitchell has the courage to look at trying things with our side. Sic with the ball of centre looked very dangerous just very disappointing our forward line setup was none existent.
Sicily was lost at the clearances around the ground and got sucked into the contest rather than keeping the structure.

Just got move on and forget it happened. So many disappointing efforts. Our younger guys were exposed to the work ethic required, thought the Tiges 2 way running was exceptional.

Went to the game. Just wanted to add a few points:

- Duke is a beast and getting closer to becoming our best & most important player, if he hasn’t reached that level already;

- Ward is so clean and efficient with his ball use. Usually takes the best option and hits a target. He’ll become so much more damaging when he finds more of it - i.e. consistently having 20-25 possessions each week;

- DGB will not be a KPD. He’s a 3rd tall/intercepting defender. We need to make sure we have 2 KPD’s alongside him. They can potentially be Blanck and Jeka;

- I’ve seen enough from Jeka to say there is something there. Whether that’s as a KPF or KPD, I’m sure Sam and the team know where his best fit is;

- Blanck got beaten comprehensively today. But he will learn from this and only get better from the experience;

- Day showed some glimpses today of what he can do. And they were great glimpses. Give him a full preseason and I’m confident he’ll perform much better next season;

- similarly with Serong, he showed some glimpses today (and last week) which indicate we have a player. He has a big leap, can take a grab, is super agile/mobile for someone of his size, competes hard and has 2nd and 3rd efforts;

- we need speed. And more speed. And more speed after that. We looked so slow today against a fast outfit. But we also need another tall forward. It’s going to be really interesting to see who we draft this year - Cadman (if he’s still there at our pick) or another midfielder? We desperately need both;

- Impey looks out of sorts. I’m hoping it’s because he’s carrying a niggle, otherwise his position in the team is not certain;

- we need to be really active at the trade table this year. Pick 6, 24 and Amon are good starts, but we need to rejig the midfield and bring in more talent. Worpel and Mitchell have the best currency at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Speed speed speed. You are spot on. Said it in the first 5 mins they were far too quick for us. It's why Tom Mitchell is a problem for us.

Really poor effort from the club even if we were disguising a tank that was on the nose something terrible .

Some of those senior blokes on 30k for todays game (600-700k) per season should donate it back.

That was putrid.
Reminded me of Dawson on Rocca.

Had a certain stubbornness about it too.

Every time the ball went near him, you knew he'd mark it.

There is some seriously weird melting going on in here. A Venn diagram with the melting posters and the posters who used the wins over the last month against poor opposition to start talking about finals in 2023 would be instructive.

We have a bunch of problems with our list. The biggest is the midfield which has been exposed in the last few years against quick teams like Richmond and St Kilda, but that’s not anything new. Ripping into an inexperienced defence is going after the wrong target entirely.

Today sucked. It’s going to take time to fix it. We have the right people at the helm to get it done.

Totally agree, TOM wasn’t great today but he does have a crack but our other leaders just don’t show up against good teams often enough. Didn’t expect a win but didn’t expect what was dished up in the 1st and 3rd, most important qtr and they go missing.

We won’t be playing finals until other leadership options are found or out there hands up
Mitchell’s ball use and decision making was really poor today, and often is. But I completely agree: he fronted up today. Some other senior players didn’t, having enjoyed themselves against rubbish opposition the last few weeks. It has been a common tale for a few years and speaks to the poor leadership in the group over that period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon our young guys would have learnt a heap today.

Richmond have to hit week 1 of the finals at 100% with momentum, and a lot of our younger squad wouldn't have played against a team with that drive and intensity.

It's great, Mitchell will be able to say to Ward/Newcombe/Moore/DGB/Blank/Serong etc etc that this is just a glimpse of what is required to be a good finals team.

A reality check on the work we have to do after some soft opposition over the past month or so possibly raised expectations. We looked miles off it.

Against a team that had hardness and speed our mids floundered. Mitchell was far from our worst - at least he cracked and could find the ball (JOM didn’t fire a shot).

One small positive that hasn’t really been mentioned was Jeka keeping Riewoldt goalless. Not sure why he wasn’t tried on lynch. Blanck and DGB were outmatched.

I for one are completely surprised by today’s results.
One team playing to cement a finals position, one team who are playing a very young and inexperienced line up at the end of a long season.
Why would you take Blanket off Lynch? He would have learnt more in that game by a gun key forward than dragging him to the bench.
So hard to understand some of the posts on here when we know where we are as a team.
All I saw was a tired team who were still giving effort on a miserable day at the G
Our time will come, just need to be patient, and realistic

Kozi forward probably isn‘t the answer - He’s a KPD.

He’s not though - he hasn’t played this position at Hawthorn or Box Hill for years and track watchers say he won’t make it at senior level as a KPD.

If anyone doesn't think there was an element of self preservation or putting the cue in the rack on this year from us today should look at the Bombers vs Port match. Bombers in the same position as us practically coasted all game and got absolutely belted. In 2 qtrs today Tigers kicked 15 goals to 2. Sure our midfield is crap and they are better but there certainly not a 15 goal to 2 goal side better. Sicily playing midfield, a few blokes being trialed in other positions with an undermanned squad to begin with the result is not in the least bit surprising. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Tigers beat up on mediocre rebuilding opposition with a host of key players out big deal. Everyone needs to take a chill pill. Silly season has started already.

If you can stomach it - go back and watch the Blanck v Lynch matchup, especially the 2nd quarter.

Blanck was beaten, yes - but not disgraced. In the first, Lynch and Reiwoldt played ring-a-rosy, switching constantly to unsettle Blanck and Jeka and Blanck lost contact in changeover and was getting blocked. In the second quarter, he was far better at coping/avoiding the blocks from Lynch's team-mates and stuck with Lynch well.

The third (DGB) was just embarrassing. I've never understood this pick, and will support every Hawk player while their on the list, but he's not, nor likely ever will be a KPD. Maybe he could develop into a junior Frosty, a short athletic KPD who gives away lots of frees but tries really, really hard - but not the sort of player inked into a Premiership backline.

The last, Sicily showed he's still our best KPD, essentially taking Lynch out of the game.

There's a number of players that let themselves down today, and not just those that appear at the bottom of the stats-sheet.

That was putrid.
Tho you have the point. He kicked a fair few goals on Denver and Jeka aswell. The whole back 3 of Denver, Jeka & Blanck were under the pump often. Didn’t think Blanck did much wrong either, he was the only of the three plus Sicily to put body on Lynch to try stop his run and jump. His hands were like glue today however so it didn’t matter. Sicily was good on him when he went back.

Mitchell’s ball use and decision making was really poor today, and often is. But I completely agree: he fronted up today. Some other senior players didn’t, having enjoyed themselves against rubbish opposition the last few weeks. It has been a common tale for a few years and speaks to the poor leadership in the group over that period.
Seriously. Outside of two occasions, which were poor I can’t see where his decision making or ball use were poor or even average. There were a few kicks he had which were great. One late to the lead of Gunston, one early to a one on one with Gunston who had his opponent infront and out the back where Mitchell put it exactly where he wanted it.

The only two that were really poor that I remember were the hack kick forward off the boundary when he could’ve squared it in, and the one where he had gone to his right and tried to fend to get back to his left, wrist tackled and HTB.

There is some seriously weird melting going on in here. A Venn diagram with the melting posters and the posters who used the wins over the last month against poor opposition to start talking about finals in 2023 would be instructive.

We have a bunch of problems with our list. The biggest is the midfield which has been exposed in the last few years against quick teams like Richmond and St Kilda, but that’s not anything new. Ripping into an inexperienced defence is going after the wrong target entirely.

Today sucked. It’s going to take time to fix it. We have the right people at the helm to get it done.

Top post. Anyone expecting finals after beating the Gold Coast in Tassie and 3 teams lower than us over the past 4-6 weeks was setting themselves up for a painful reality check. Finals next year certainly isn’t impossible but banking on them is getting way ahead of ourselves.

If you can stomach it - go back and watch the Blanck v Lynch matchup, especially the 2nd quarter.

Blanck was beaten, yes - but not disgraced. In the first, Lynch and Reiwoldt played ring-a-rosy, switching constantly to unsettle Blanck and Jeka and Blanck lost contact in changeover and was getting blocked. In the second quarter, he was far better at coping/avoiding the blocks from Lynch's team-mates and stuck with Lynch well.

The third (DGB) was just embarrassing. I've never understood this pick, and will support every Hawk player while their on the list, but he's not, nor likely ever will be a KPD. Maybe he could develop into a junior Frosty, a short athletic KPD who gives away lots of frees but tries really, really hard - but not the sort of player inked into a Premiership backline.

The last, Sicily showed he's still our best KPD, essentially taking Lynch out of the game.

There's a number of players that let themselves down today, and not just those that appear at the bottom of the stats-sheet.
Denver is being given an education about being a KP. I'm sure he ends up as a 3rd tall but his grounding is about when he gets shuffled back onto a key tall in a changeover in a contest and has to defend a KP. Start with the part he is worst at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back