Prediction Changes: Round 23 Vs GWS + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we’re at a point in the season now where we’d get more value from giving Erasmus or Johnson a game rather than Tucker. I’m not saying either of them would play better than Tucker, but we’d definitely get some value from a development point of view.

Yeah honestly all the Lobb bashing is ridiculous! It was literally 3 on 1 all night in wet/windy horrible conditions, and to top it off we kept kicking it on his head all night. The guy also got injured twice during the game and chose to stay on if he went off it would have been Logue with a 3 on 1. But yeah let’s bag lobb.
He should of went of the ground!

Out: Schultz and Tucker

In: Erasmus and Fyfe

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Young Cox Chapman
C: Acres Brayshaw O'Driscoll
HF: Fyfe Logue Erasmus
FF: Walters Lobb Switkowski

R: Darcy Brodie Mundy

I: Serong Frederick Clark Aish

S: Schultz

OUT: I don't know...Jaymie Graham?
IN: Efficient use of the ball in the forward half.

I don't think it's a personnel issue. It's so frustrating to watch us defend so well every week but use the ball so poorly going forward.

So Crowden and Blakely were better for Peel than Erasmus and Johnson. Tucker was bog 3 times in a row down there so he is ahead of all them. I'm guessing Crowden and Blakely have their exit cards marked - so won't get a game unless there is outbreak of Covid or something catastrophic - or a Ross Lyon rest week.

Colyer I think is out for the rest of the year unfortunately for him, barring injury to someone.

From that Peel game, I really only see Meek, Sturt or Amiss having a shot given our issues with taller players / forward line at the moment.

Maybe we have Fyfe in, Tucker out as the only change, Banfield to Peel and Tucker as sub. If Lobb is out, then I think maybe Meek gets a go.

So Crowden and Blakely were better for Peel than Erasmus and Johnson. Tucker was bog 3 times in a row down there so he is ahead of all them. I'm guessing Crowden and Blakely have their exit cards marked - so won't get a game unless there is outbreak of Covid or something catastrophic - or a Ross Lyon rest week.

Colyer I think is out for the rest of the year unfortunately for him, barring injury to someone.

From that Peel game, I really only see Meek, Sturt or Amiss having a shot given our issues with taller players / forward line at the moment.

Maybe we have Fyfe in, Tucker out as the only change, Banfield to Peel and Tucker as sub. If Lobb is out, then I think maybe Meek gets a go.
Meek in for Lobb
Fyfe in for Tucker

Crowden was average. Turned the ball over across half back that led to a South Freo goal. Missed a soda of a snap at goal. His best work is when he kicks the ball long.

Blakely played very well. Very tidy with the ball and made good decisions. Was specifically praised by the Peel coach after the game and well deserved. I’d be comfortable him being bought into the 23 at the expense of Tucker. Unlikely to happen but he deserves a shot as much as Tucker after Tuckers BOG games.

Meek has buttered up for good games week after week and he deserves to be in the mix. I’d bring him in for Rory Lobb and give Lobb an extra week recovery. I’m not a massive fan of Logue playing ruck. Logue is a good match-up in defence for some of these top four teams like Geelong.

I reckon we’re at a point in the season now where we’d get more value from giving Erasmus or Johnson a game rather than Tucker. I’m not saying either of them would play better than Tucker, but we’d definitely get some value from a development point of view.
I wish we gave Johnson a debut game earlier in the season. Even against a demons or swans outfit that beat us in Perth

I'm worried about this game, just about every player on GWS list shared a post about Deboers retirement, and a s**t tonne of past players, can't dismiss how popular of a person he is over there, they could come out fired up ala us in Pav's last game vs the dogs
He retired and won't be playing any further games so no need to worry...

Did you watch the game? He was injured, couldn’t even lift his right arm for most of the game.
Yeah I seriously would give Lobb a week off.

If Lobb is too injured, get meek in.

Let meek and Darcy both rotate on the ruck, full forward spot on the goal square and bench.

I don't know if it's wise for Darcy to ruck all game and Logue does the occasional chop out.

Traecy should at least get in too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He retired and won't be playing any further games so no need to worry...
Are we sure that he isn't playing the final game?

I thought he was going to play against us for a farewell

EDIT: Looks like they will be doing all the home game farewell but he isn't playing, takes a bit of pressure off but still has me a bit worried

I don't think it's a personnel issue. It's so frustrating to watch us defend so well every week but use the ball so poorly going forward.
We got rid of Hale and still the same issues apply.

I think it comes down to decision making by the players.

Surely they could have figured the 3rd or 4th time Barrass marked the ball and was murdering Lobb.

Why not kick it somewhere else and use Lobb as a decoy.

Surely they could have figured the 3rd or 4th time Barrass marked the ball and was murdering Lobb.

They weren't on the same page all night, when Lobb got a separation for a short kick in they popped in high, and when it needed to be high they sent it in low.

For the life of my I can't understand why they don't just try bring it to ground rather than just drop their bundle if the kick doesn't arrow in perfectly. Or hammer it in across the deck with the wet.

Sonny's goal was from a grubbered kick from Mundy.
Watching the replay I,m sure Mundy did it in purpose.

I’m all aboard the Meek in train.

Need height in our forward line, so he and Darcy can split it.

Wouldn’t mind a smidge of extra fire power. Amiss ain’t ready but what’s the harm?

It won’t happen but Meek and Amiss for Lobb and Tucker.

Reality, Lobb will play sore. Sturt will travel. We’ll make zero changes.

It is personnel on the forwards part. I don't know if coaching can fix it. For someone like Freddy, I can at least seem him learning and getting better. But we need natural forwards who know what to do on instinct. Our goals mostly come from hard work and luck, and not enough from natural forward craft.

The goal Freddy ended up kicking in the third should have been a far more easier passage to goal. Logue got the ball on the wing in miles of space and all that was ahead was Freddy on old man Hurn. Schultz was way on the other side near the 50.

There should have been two options ... kick over the top where Freddy would burn Hurn and run into the goal square. Or kick to Schultz who has held his ground at 35m out and made his opponent choose whether to cover Freddy running into the square (kick to Schultz) or stay on Schultz (kick to Freddy). They should be where the arrows are below. Or Freddy could also double back to Logue for a chip pass (sort of what Logue made him do, but if it was Freddy's idea he would have had separation with his speed).

Instead, Freddy runs around in circles and basically stands next to Hurn, not sure what to do, and Schultz sprints to the goal square chasing his man who is goal side and sprinting to cover a kick over the top. Giving Logue nothing much to kick to and luckily Walters comes to the rescue. If this play stuffed up, I bet most people would be blaming Logue. But Freddy and Schultz are the ones who made it difficult.

1660526806163.png

Out: Schultz and Tucker

In: Erasmus and Fyfe

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Young Cox Chapman
C: Acres Brayshaw O'Driscoll
HF: Fyfe Logue Erasmus
FF: Walters Lobb Switkowski

R: Darcy Brodie Mundy

I: Serong Frederick Clark Aish

S: Schultz
Out Shultz? Mate our FWD line is the problem and you want to get rid of the best defensive fwd who has kicked the 2nd most goals for us??
For who? Fyfe?? FMD he hasn't got a defensive bone in his body.

It is personnel on the forwards part. I don't know if coaching can fix it. For someone like Freddy, I can at least seem him learning and getting better. But we need natural forwards who know what to do on instinct. Our goals mostly come from hard work and luck, and not enough from natural forward craft.

The goal Freddy ended up kicking in the third should have been a far more easier passage to goal. Logue got the ball on the wing in miles of space and all that was ahead was Freddy on old man Hurn. Schultz was way on the other side near the 50.

There should have been two options ... kick over the top where Freddy would burn Hurn and run into the goal square. Or kick to Schultz who has held his ground at 35m out and made his opponent choose whether to cover Freddy running into the square (kick to Schultz) or stay on Schultz (kick to Freddy). They should be where the arrows are below. Or Freddy could also double back to Logue for a chip pass (sort of what Logue made him do, but if it was Freddy's idea he would have had separation with his speed).

Instead, Freddy runs around in circles and basically stands next to Hurn, not sure what to do, and Schultz sprints to the goal square chasing his man who is goal side and sprinting to cover a kick over the top. Giving Logue nothing much to kick to and luckily Walters comes to the rescue. If this play stuffed up, I bet most people would be blaming Logue. But Freddy and Schultz are the ones who made it difficult.

View attachment 1477968
I agree it should have been much easier, the option Logue ended up taking was pretty good if not quite centimetre perfect, if they were on the same page it would have been a simple mark.
As it was it was tough but Frederick probably still should have taken the mark.

I wouldn't underestimate Hurn in this play either though, he maintained good contact to prevent the quick dash and even if Logue kicked over the top no guarantee with the air time he could have put it in a spot Frederick could have run onto uncontested given the other Eagles player coming.

View attachment 1477968
That has to be method though, they must be being coached to do that. Schultz's first thought there is defending the ball from coming back out rather than scoring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back