Is all head high contact causing a concussion, regardless of situation or intent, soon going to be a suspension?

Will any incident causing a concussion become a suspension, regardless of the act?

• Yes - soon (within a decade)

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Yes - medium term (1-2 decades)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes - long term (2+ decades)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem i see is that as soon as there is any grey area, it can be contested and thats what the afl will eventually need to eliminate. The o ly way to eliminate any argument about whether a player is at fault, is to remove the grey area to a simple yes/no equation.
We have had grey areas in the game for as long as we have had the game. This isn't cricket, where the ball either hit the bat or it didn't, or it was going on to hit the stumps or it wasn't. It's football, which is dynamic, evolving, and complex to adjudicate. I don't think the AFL needs to eliminate all grey area, just work on the 99% of cases.

I haven’t done the research on them, but wouldn’t be in a hurry to buy a house next to one! What’s your take?
wouldnt buy a house next to one cause theyre ugly. there is 0 proof cellphone radiation is harmful and many many studies showing it is not. its just another nutjob conspiracy like vaccinations causing autism and chemtrails.

Zaine Cordy has been sent directly to the tribunal for the following incident.

If you can see direct contact to Bruhn's head - please point out exactly where that happened?

If Bruhn was concussed upon hitting the ground, where exactly does that fall in terms of high contact?

If you can see direct contact to Bruhn's head - please point out exactly where that happened?

If Bruhn was concussed upon hitting the ground, where exactly does that fall in terms of high contact?

That's very very difficult to adjudicate IMO. You can see exactly how he could get concussed with whiplash, but I don't think there's contact.

That's very very difficult to adjudicate IMO. You can see exactly how he could get concussed with whiplash, but I don't think there's contact.
Bruhn's head hits the ground heavily, which would account for the concussion. But it certainly doesn't look like there is any high contact in the bump.

Bruhn's head hits the ground heavily, which would account for the concussion. But it certainly doesn't look like there is any high contact in the bump.
Agree. The only way that there's a suspension is if the notion of "duty of care" and "elects to bump" means the player is responsible for any consequences, regradless of whether the contact is direct.

this is exactly the situation i'm talking about. i think the afl will eventually remove the grey in the situation and say "you initiated the contact, and the player was concussed. doesnt matter if it was a legal action (ie a legal shepherd) or if the player was concussed because his head hit the ground".

according to the marlion pickett suspension, that doesnt matter. he was suspended for giving a player whiplash under the 'potential to cause injury' clause, even though the player wasnt even hurt. the cases are almost identical except that bruhn was concussed, so if the mro has any consistency* cordy will probably miss 2**.

*lol
*until the lawyers get involved and find a typo in the tribunal records

this is exactly the situation i'm talking about. i think the afl will eventually remove the grey in the situation and say "you initiated the contact, and the player was concussed. doesnt matter if it was a legal action (ie a legal shepherd) or if the player was concussed because his head hit the ground".
It's the AFL's fault for playing the game on a hard surface.
Should be on soft sand, or rubber foam.

Agree. The only way that there's a suspension is if the notion of "duty of care" and "elects to bump" means the player is responsible for any consequences, regradless of whether the contact is direct.

As long as there is consistency in the application of the rule then there shouldnt be any contention around it. However we know there's no such thing as consistency of its application when it comes to the tribunal.

wouldnt buy a house next to one cause theyre ugly. there is 0 proof cellphone radiation is harmful and many many studies showing it is not. its just another nutjob conspiracy like vaccinations causing autism and chemtrails.

Happy to defer to you on that one. Thanks for the info.

Back