Geelong 2007-2022. 13x top 4 finishes, 10x top 2 finishes and 4x minor premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.

They are bringing the whole system into disrespute, the AFL will have do something about teams topping up on talent every trade season so they never go down. If Geelong get De Goey and some more GWS stars this off season its time for Gil to bring the hammer down

Amazing era. the obvious elephant in the room is they haven’t won the most flags in that time period.

AFL Era.. by far the best 16 year period. Only comparison is West Coast 1991-2006 with 4 flags or Hawthorn 2001-2016.

VFL/AFL Era. Maybe Hawthorn 1976-1991 with 7 flags might beat it.

Been a wild ride the last 20 years. Hard to complain following this club.
Geelong supporters have still managed it regularly over the last 5-7 years

Another terrific season in what has been the greatest era in club history. Written off by all and sundry coming into 2022 only to have the minor premiership sewn up with a game still to play.

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from here.

yep

I'd hate to go back to the beginning of the season to see where I had the cats. Probably 6th to 12th.

The ageing fleet, was my concern but every player seems to know their role and execute it perfectly.

Cats v Lions GF

Another premiership would be the cherry on top of a very delicious cake but this season is a success regardless of what happens from hehere.

Will it? We've been here before. Geelong dominate the home and away season and fall to peices in the finals.

What they've achieved in the last 10 years is impressive but without a flag it all means squat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong weren't that far off from a 5 peat from 2007 to 2011..

I disagree. The upset in 2008 drove them for a few years. If they won the 2008 grand final by 20 goals... I dont know.. I think the passion/desire would have dropped off and may not have won in 2011.

Similar to the Hawks. They needed to lose 2012 to get the required players/adjustments (Lake especially) to drive the next 3 years. If they won 2012 I dont think they would have won the next 3

if by not far you mean 1/5th of the way there 3 times? they didnt even go back to back. nor make 5 gfs in a row. but if you mean they made a few gfs and made finals 5 years in a row then sure, there are a few teams that were close to 5 peating

Brisbane were 6 wins away from 6 peating from 1999 to 2004 :eek:

Move the goal posts a little and you get the following (stolen off another poster on our boards)

Since 2012 Geelong has had 7 top four finishes including 2 top finishes. They have played in 17 finals and won 6. They have made one losing grand final.

Since 2012 Bulldogs have played in 10 finals, have not in any year finished in the top four, have won 7 finals, including a Grand Final, and lost three finals including a losing grand final.

Anyway 2007-2011 has absolutely nothing to do with this current group outside of Selwood/Hawkins.

They are bringing the whole system into disrespute, the AFL will have do something about teams topping up on talent every trade season so they never go down. If Geelong get De Goey and some more GWS stars this off season its time for Gil to bring the hammer down

Nah it’s all good they can just make an example out of Sydney again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think Geelong would be where they are this season, but the fact is they are, and now to finish it off you have to win the flag, anything less than that is a failure.

There is no such thing as successful H&A season reunions.

Last edited:
If Richmond win the flag this year, would we consider the Richmond dynasty as being 2017 to 2022, or was their dynasty broken by their non-finals appearance in 2021?

Yes because it’s 4 in 6.
Imo dynasty’s have to win flags by more than half of the length of it to show absolute dominance as well as keeping the majority of the team the same. So the minimum is 3 in 5, 4 in 7, 5 in 9 etc. Cats way to far out now. Isn’t it only Selwood and Hawkins that was in that 07-11 team. Hawkins didn’t even play in the 07 flag lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back