Analysis Are the Cats a Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking about the top 6 sides, they're not going to finish top 6
But they were top 6 when we played them. Next thing you’ll be marking Cats down because they haven’t beaten anyone above them on the ladder.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
But they were top 6 when we played them. Next thing you’ll be marking Cats down because they haven’t beaten anyone above them on the ladder.
Yeah nice win over Carlton but they're only 50/50 just to make the 8, they're not top 6 quality

There's a clear gap between 6th and 7th, you'll most likely be playing the top 6 sides, away from Geelong, for the first time since round 3

Conan Troutman

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Last 5 games against sides outside the 8 - how were we to know last year's runners up (WB) and the team that finished 2nd in the 2021 H&A (PA) would not be in 8?
Bulldogs were in the 8 when we played them. The cats win put the Bulldogs outside the 8. Likewise Geelong beating St Kilda the week after, knocked the Saints out of the 8.

So actually, two of the last three games were against top 8 sides at the time.

The OP seems to be suggesting that Geelong would be less fraudulent if they had lost to Bulldogs and Saints.

Yeah nice win over Carlton but they're only 50/50 just to make the 8, they're not top 6 quality

There's a clear gap between 6th and 7th, you'll most likely be playing the top 6 sides, away from Geelong, for the first time since round 3
Fair enough. If they’re good enough they’ll win anywhere

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Nothing surer than the cats getting run off their feet in the second half of a big final.

Actually if you watch the game you’ll notice that our biggest problems in finals matches has been getting blown off the park in the first or second quarter.

If you want to disprove the claim that Richmond fans don’t necessarily…….. watch games that don’t involve teams called Richmond, don’t make such a silly claim.

Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood from memory have all spanked us before the game was even at its midpoint

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
I liked you better when all of your posts were whining about Goodwin and why he should be fired pre-2021, so I'll definitely trust your clearly elite football knowledge.
He still can't coach, that's why Melbourne are back with the back despite having a list that should be dominating the competition.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually if you watch the game you’ll notice that our biggest problems in finals matches has been getting blown off the park in the first or second quarter.

If you want to disprove the claim that Richmond fans don’t necessarily…….. watch games that don’t involve teams called Richmond, don’t make such a silly claim.

Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood from memory have all spanked us before the game was even at its midpoint
Ugh yes all those finals we were killed in the first quarter, the 2016 prelim was an utter disaster from the get go. Although it was the third quarter in the grand final where Richmond came back and smashed us in the fourth.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ugh yes all those finals we were killed in the first quarter, the 2016 prelim was an utter disaster from the get go. Although it was the third quarter in the grand final where Richmond came back and smashed us in the fourth.

Tigers QF was a bit of a grind all night that we never really got on our terms, the prelim and the GF against them we had the better of and they pulled it back in the third and ran away in the last.

The only other loss that HASNT followed the ‘get smashed early’ pattern from memory is the Hawyhorn prelim where we sort of kept them at arms’ length without really pulling clear before they pulled us back right at the end

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
So basically, this thread can be summed up this way:

Opposition Supporters: Geelong wouldn't be top if they hadn't double upped on the bottom two teams.
Geelong Supporters: Geelong is clear top without having double upped on one of those teams yet.
Oppo: you wouldn't be top then if you played more teams in the 8, like Saints and Bulldogs!
Geelong: They were in the 8 until they were beaten by the Cats
Oppo: Oh what about round 2!!! Round 2!!! Remember Round 2!!

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
They simply HAVE to win a flag at some point, otherwise they'll go down as the greatest pack of losers in football history. Or, at the very least, the biggest bunch underachievers of all time. With the amount of talent they've had fall conveniently into their lap....
  • one of the greatest players of all time comes back to play for them, couldn't win them a flag.
  • Brownlow medalist and one of the best midfielders of the last 20 years comes to play for them, hasn't won them a flag.
  • One of the current absolute best KPFs comes to play for them, hasn't won them a flag.
  • Triple premiership wingman comes to play for them, hasn't won them a flag.
Three flags in the last 6 decades is a piss-poor return with the talent and the sides and the PF and GF appearances they've had in that time. They have to win one soon....

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Incoming straight sets, we'll lucky to play finals at this rate.

It's the Tigers premiership to lose, start engraving the cup now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
Ah yes, that dominant forward line of uh... Brown and um... Harmes?
Yep the player that's kicked more in a regular season than Hawkins ever has in his entire career, plus the best mid sized forward in the game who's kicked the most goals in a GF in over 25 years and a small forward who's about to kick 40 goals plus as back to back season in his 2nd and 3rd years. The forward line is laden with talent it's just the horrendous coaching holding it back.

I'll save you the embarrassment and not even compare the cats pathetic backline and aged care midfield to this demons list.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast will break their spirit when they finally notch up a win at GWXYZ Stadium. ;):westcoast:

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
As I’ve asked many times.

What should we have done in those 17 games we’ve won?

Taken players off the field? Narrowed the goals at the end we’re running towards? Lost?

Also when you’re making claims like ‘biased draws’ and then proceed to cite a handful of teams who, while out of the 8 this year, were in it last year? Your comment loses credibility. Lucky? Perhaps. Biased? Since when could a decision to double us up against last years runners up be made out of bias?
Don’t lose the easy games to bad teams but do better in the hard games against good teams. You probably shouldn’t have been beaten at home by the dockers for example.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Don’t lose the easy games to bad teams but do better in the hard games against good teams. You probably shouldn’t have been beaten at home by the dockers for example.

Every single year the team that finishes on top, bar the freak years like Essendon 2001, us 2008, St Kilda 09, Collingwood 11, drops games to other decent sides and the odd bad side.

In 2007 we dropped a game to the team that finished 13th.
We lost to Port and North at Kardinia Park. Games a premier or minor premier should theoretically have won. It didn’t somehow make our finishing position un-earned.

We are 5-2 against top 8 sides. As a percentage if you extrapolate that out to a full season, that gives us a record of either 15-7 or 16-6 if we were ONLY playing fellow finalists.

Jackington

Back Flank Battler
Sep 23, 2021
State of Constant Anxiety
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yep the player that's kicked more in a regular season than Hawkins ever has in his entire career, plus the best mid sized forward in the game who's kicked the most goals in a GF in over 25 years and a small forward who's about to kick 40 goals plus as back to back season in his 2nd and 3rd years. The forward line is laden with talent it's just the horrendous coaching holding it back.

I'll save you the embarrassment and not even compare the cats pathetic backline and aged care midfield to this demons list.
3 seasons of 50+ goals and 0xAA blazers vs 8 seasons of 50+ goals and soon-to-be 5xAA blazers. I know who I would take. I rate Fritta but otherwise, that forward line stinks.

The pathetic backline of future probably 5xAA Sam DeKoning, 3xAA Tom Stewart vs an overpaid alcoholic who Geelong probably would have kicked 25 goals against if they could have kicked straight. Right on my boy. Cope harder.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong

You are allowed to think to think Brown is better than Hawkins of course, but there is zero chance anyone with common sense would rate Geelongs backline as pathetic. If anything, I would say it is their strength? Granted, it may not be as strong as the Demons, but pathetic is a huge huge exaggeration.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You are allowed to think to think Brown is better than Hawkins of course, but there is zero chance anyone with common sense would rate Geelongs backline as pathetic. If anything, I would say it is their strength? Granted, it may not be as strong as the Demons, but pathetic is a huge huge exaggeration.

We have scored 16 less points than Melbourne for the season and have conceded about 200 less and our midfield is fairly average so it’s a mystery as to how we’ve done this with such a bad front and back 6

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
3 seasons of 50+ goals and 0xAA blazers vs 8 seasons of 50+ goals and soon-to-be 5xAA blazers. I know who I would take. I rate Fritta but otherwise, that forward line stinks.

The pathetic backline of future probably 5xAA Sam DeKoning, 3xAA Tom Stewart vs an overpaid alcoholic who Geelong probably would have kicked 25 goals against if they could have kicked straight. Right on my boy. Cope harder.
LOL de koning 5 time AA 😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣, and stewart has never played on a man in his life. As crap as brown in he's still kicked more goals in a regular season than Hawkins ever has in his 300 game career, also achieved 3 60 plus seasons in succession so he can clearly play.

Oh we are going to bring up past games, lets bring up the 3 prior to this years including that alcoholic on 1 leg obliterating grandpas army by almost 90 points. Backline was so great it let a ruckman that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, kick 5 goals on them

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Nope. Richmond certainly not.

Even though we’ve led at 4 qtr time in all our games bar like 2? Very brave man, we’ve been injured for most of the year and without Dusty. I think we’ve won the 2nd most qtrs in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
We have scored 16 less points than Melbourne for the season and have conceded about 200 less and our midfield is fairly average so it’s a mystery as to how we’ve done this with such a bad front and back 6
LOL not a mystery at all, that's what this entire thread is all about 🤓, all sides don't have the luxury of playing 4 games against the 2 sides that have won 4 games for the season between them...

Jackington

Back Flank Battler
Sep 23, 2021
State of Constant Anxiety
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle
LOL de koning 5 time AA 😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣, and stewart has never played on a man in his life. As crap as brown in he's still kicked more goals in a regular season than Hawkins ever has in his 300 game career, also achieved 3 60 plus seasons in succession so he can clearly play.

Oh we are going to bring up past games, lets bring up the 3 prior to this years including that alcoholic on 1 leg obliterating grandpas army by almost 90 points. Backline was so great it let a ruckman that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, kick 5 goals on them

Now now, let's not go further back than 2022, otherwise we go back further than last year and remember that Melbourne were a joke of a club for half a century and someone might bring up 2011.

Back to the pack with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back