When a player snubs the coach on national TV....

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Sequence of events:

1. Essendon nearly 10 goals up in the last quarter.

2. Hind nearly concussed by tackle that leads to a fine for Lazzaro

3. Hind gives away free kick for dissent, hardly a surprise given his head just got slammed in to the marvel car park.

4. Hind comes off, no clear seat on the bench as other Essendon player taking up 2 seats. Has awkward by play with said player determining which way he’ll slide to make room. Unsurprisingly after giving away a goal he doesn’t want to sit right next to the coach

5. Hind - most likely dazed or watching the replay - has a few words said to him by Rutten. With the game clearly as over as Essendon’s season it’s likely to be either a simple message to avoid dissent or just as likely the coach checking he’s ok after being dumped in the tackle. Either way, not exactly a vital exchange.

This is classic Cornes-ism. Playing the results to fit a narrative.

That's unambiguously way too much context - accordingly you can forget any aspirations you may have of working in the media..!

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Oddly enough, in this case it was shown live. A few weeks back.

Also, there's literally screens in front of Hind as the trainer moves to the side, so he has to go sideways anyway.

Mountain out of a molehill stuff here.

You sure it was part of the 'live broadcast', gee most games are a blur to me the next day unless there was a specific mark or goal of the year highlight, much less recalling a trivial exchange between a player and coach on the bench 3 weeks ago...

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You sure it was part of the 'live broadcast', gee most games are a blur to me the next day unless there was a specific mark or goal of the year highlight, much less recalling a trivial exchange between a player and coach on the bench 3 weeks ago...

As someone who had to sit through the stinkfest that was North vs Essendon, can confirm it was on the broadcast. Was probably the most exciting part of the day, was a real trudge to watch.

Unsurprisingly after giving away a goal he doesn’t want to sit right next to the coach

5. Hind - most likely dazed or watching the replay - has a few words said to him by Rutten. With the game clearly as over as Essendon’s season it’s likely to be either a simple message to avoid dissent or just as likely the coach checking he’s ok after being dumped in the tackle. Either way, not exactly a vital exchange.
There was no exchange. Hind ignored him when he was tapped on the thigh.

To think you got so close with the first sentence, but yet couldn’t identify that the guy who “doesn’t want to sit next to the coach” clearly didn’t want to discuss anything with him either.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
First job was at a cafe and agreed, was always the middle aged types who gave me the most grief. Learnt to put up with those who got a million variations just for the sake of it, but one thing I could never get over was the "3 quarter" latte order.

It's not on the menu and you know we'll charge you the same as a full one. People were actively willing to get less for their money just to be difficult (half the time they ordered another as it wasn't enough). The number of times I dreamed of walking over with a regular one and tipping 1/4 in their lap and saying "there you go, 3 qtr latte"

No wonder you had issues with customers if that was your attitude.
I don’t know what kind of commercial coffee machines you’ve used, but depending on the type it can make a 3 quarter strength a bit of a pain to make for what is ultimately like asking if someone wants sugar and them answering “1 and 3 quarter sugars, please”. That’s the point kozi is making in my eyes.

Just to explain how commercial coffee machines work in my experience, you basically have set buttons that pour out a specific amount of coffee in ounces. How much you put in depends on the cup size you’re filling (e.g. your standard or medium take-away cup is 12 ounces, so you press the button for 12 ounces to create a standard strength coffee). Now, most machines don’t have a lot of options for buttons (you’ll literally have one side that pours 12 ounces and the other side pours 8 ounces for example). You have to make doubles, half strengths, etc from those numbers. Making a half strength is easy: you press the 12 ounce button and fill it using one spout (of two), effectively halving the amount of coffee the cup gets. A double is literally two shots of 12 ounces. Now, this is where 1/4 strengths get tricky: unless you’re using specific pods that are half-strength, you literally have to figure out how to get 3 ounces of coffee from two buttons, one that pours out 8 (4 if using one spout) and the other 12 (6 if using one spout) at a minimum. Now, consider how that’d work with a 3 quarter strength (aiming for 9 ounces). Remembering that hospitality is a very fast paced job, and most customers want their coffee NOW!, hopefully that explains why the idea of piss farting around with a needlessly picky and time consuming order can be seen as annoying to those with experience making coffees for a living. :p

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
If my ol battleaxe treated me that way, I might just burst into a little Irish jig, and have a wee tipple!

Back