Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Yeah this is the big problem for me. Not keeping clean sheets puts pressure on you immediately to have to score twice to win games all the time. Particularly conceding first. If we score first and they equalise, you're like ok, we just need a goal, but when you go behind it puts the pressure on knowing that we need two.

Plus the fact we know draws are basically losses when you're up against City.

ATM teams are thinking if they can keep Liverpool out for 30-50 minutes, we'll gift them a chance to score and they'll fancy themselves. Literally lost a CL final like that

Really poor finishing up front isn't helping either, I don't understand why everyone's touches become so rushed even right from the start, panic stations all of a sudden

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
It's now a 36 game season and we have to beat City not by 1 point or GD to win the league. We have to beat City by 5 points over 36 games to win the title. It's just super unlikely already.
All depends how you look at it mate. By the same token we had to beat City by 13 points half way through last season (more points in less games than we stand at currently) and we beat them by 12. Not enough to win it but we closed that gap in less games. This team has done it before.

Regardless I think some get too caught up in looking at the whole season in one go, this is football soooooo much can happen. It's not cut and dry otherwise we wouldn't watch it. No point worrying about the next 35 games. We have to first beat United. Looking at the big picture is good but the cliches ring true for a reason. Take it a week at a time, especially with so much of the season to go.

Just my approach, I've watched too much football to think falling 4 points behind 2 games into the campaign means it's curtains.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Crazy how dropping points in 2 games feels like a disaster. 10 years ago it would be no problem, but with how high City (and ourselves tbf) have set the bar in terms of points totals, every game is such high stakes. It’s so draining.
Yeah exactly I used to think, oh we drew the game, at least we didnt lose and picked up a point. But now with the standards so incredibly high, a draw is basically a loss.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
So am I the only one who think Nunez is tracking to be a bust?

Yeah it's crazy to judge him this early

No one's calling him a bust when he scored against City and got a goal and assist against Fulham. He should've scored yesterday, too, just looked really nervy then had a Uruguayan moment

The overreactions about Nunez since he signed have been piss funny. To have judged him this early is moronic. He looked good against City and was our best attacker against Fulham. I also thought he was the best of our front 3 before he got sent off.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The overreactions about Nunez since he signed have been piss funny. To have judged him this early is moronic. He looked good against City and was our best attacker against Fulham. I also thought he was the best of our front 3 before he got sent off.
I dont think I'm overreacting I'm just judging what I've seen. I've watched football for 24 years or so. I can tell a good player when I see one. I'm not saying Nunez is awful, I think he'd be a real good signing for a mid table team, but he just lacks a lot of the skills he would need to make it at a big club like ours. I think his passing isnt great, his hold up play for a guy his size isnt great and his first touch is way below par. Basically he lacks a lot of technique and tekkers is a must when you play for big clubs.

Maybe he improves and he's had his moments against City and then against Fulham he was pretty good when he came on despite his accidental goal and accidental assist. For me, from everything I've seen so far, I dont think he's good enough for Liverpool.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I dont think I'm overreacting I'm just judging what I've seen. I've watched football for 24 years or so. I can tell a good player when I see one. I'm not saying Nunez is awful, I think he'd be a real good signing for a mid table team, but he just lacks a lot of the skills he would need to make it at a big club like ours. I think his passing isnt great, his hold up play for a guy his size isnt great and his first touch is way below par. Basically he lacks a lot of technique and tekkers is a must when you play for big clubs.

Maybe he improves and he's had his moments against City and then against Fulham he was pretty good when he came on despite his accidental goal and accidental assist. For me, from everything I've seen so far, I dont think he's good enough for Liverpool.

I really hope I'm wrong.

You're overreacting. Look at Fabinho's start at Liverpool, he was poor for months. Robbo initially started on the bench until Moreno got injured. Both took a long time to settle in and then went bang. His assist wasn't accidental against Fulham either, it was a deliberate action with his left foot (his weak foot). You'd have a case if he tried to control it with his right and it deflected to Salah.

If he's still struggling in 6 months time that's when you begin to worry about him being the next Andy Carroll.

Even Suarez took a good 18 months before he found his feet in the Premier League. Early days Suarez was criticised of his inconsistent finishing.
1660700893008.png

Not everyone is going to hit the ground running in a new foreign league like Torres did.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
You're overreacting. Look at Fabinho's start at Liverpool, he was poor for months. Robbo initially started on the bench until Moreno got injured. Both took a long time to settle in and then went bang. His assist wasn't accidental against Fulham either, it was a deliberate action with his left foot (his weak foot). You'd have a case if he tried to control it with his right and it deflected to Salah.

If he's still struggling in 6 months time that's when you begin to worry about him being the next Andy Carroll.
Im not overreacting. Robbo was an 8 million dollar buy, he was basically unknown, his ascent to the top of world football was amazing but he didnt come with any expectations. Plus he didnt get much of a chance until Moreno got injured and then once he was in, you immediately saw that we had a footballer on our hands.

Fabinho's struggles were absolutely a time thing. Watch the lad play, you know he's a terrific footballer, it was just gonna take time for him to settle and learn the system in a difficult position to learn and play. I was never worried about Fab, you could see what a great footballer he was.

Nunez is different. You can quite clearly see strengths but also quite clearly see large weaknesses that you didnt see with guys like Robbo or Fab. His first tough is awful, his passing is awful and his technique is poor. Those three things alone are massive problems to make it at a club like Liverpool. We play against buses every week so being able to control the ball in tight spaces, play passes and have great technique are all absolute musts!

So it's a strange one that we've gone for him as usually our recruitment is so great. Plus those weaknesses of his game are quite obvious when you watch him play so it's not like our recruitment team would have missed those. So not sure why we went through with the purchase. Hopefully he can improve but you dont often see players who arent great technically or great passers suddenly become amazing at those things.

He's a real worry IMO.

But again I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm really terribly wrong and he scores 200 goals for the club.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Even Suarez took a good 18 months before he found his feet in the Premier League. Early days Suarez was criticised of his inconsistent finishing.
View attachment 1480228

Not everyone is going to hit the ground running in a new foreign league like Torres did.
But again with Suarez you could see what a whirlwind player he was. He was intelligent, had terrific movement, technique, passing, he has the lot. He just wasnt finishing his chances which we knew he would get right cos you'd seen his finishing ability at Ajax. I was never worried about Suarez because you could see what a great footballer he was despite the goals being a little slower from the start.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

Will be interesting to see how we manage things. Hopefully he's not put in the doghouse. Horrible error but if he is on the outer internally and also offside with the fans it'll be a long road back.

No chance he starts the derby. Everton will absolutely target him. Better to bring him on on the hour when we are 3-0 up and the fire of the game is well and truly out.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Im not overreacting. Robbo was an 8 million dollar buy, he was basically unknown, his ascent to the top of world football was amazing but he didnt come with any expectations. Plus he didnt get much of a chance until Moreno got injured and then once he was in, you immediately saw that we had a footballer on our hands.

Fabinho's struggles were absolutely a time thing. Watch the lad play, you know he's a terrific footballer, it was just gonna take time for him to settle and learn the system in a difficult position to learn and play. I was never worried about Fab, you could see what a great footballer he was.

Nunez is different. You can quite clearly see strengths but also quite clearly see large weaknesses that you didnt see with guys like Robbo or Fab. His first tough is awful, his passing is awful and his technique is poor. Those three things alone are massive problems to make it at a club like Liverpool. We play against buses every week so being able to control the ball in tight spaces, play passes and have great technique are all absolute musts!

So it's a strange one that we've gone for him as usually our recruitment is so great. Plus those weaknesses of his game are quite obvious when you watch him play so it's not like our recruitment team would have missed those. So not sure why we went through with the purchase. Hopefully he can improve but you dont often see players who arent great technically or great passers suddenly become amazing at those things.

He's a real worry IMO.

But again I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm really terribly wrong and he scores 200 goals for the club.

This makes no sense. Fabinho looked awful when he first signed. A big name signing too. Couldnt displace the likes of Milner from the first team.

Once he settled in to life in England and also at the club he thrived.

Nunez has great technique, touch & finishing. That much was obvious with his CL performances last season. His issues are more to do with nerves than anything for me.

He needs settling in like Fabinho did. If he is still struggling towards Feb then we have an issue. The plan also probably was to ease him into the first team but the Jota injury sorta killed that plan.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
This makes no sense. Fabinho looked awful when he first signed. A big name signing too. Couldnt displace the likes of Milner from the first team.

Once he settled in to life in England and also at the club he thrived.

Nunez has great technique, touch & finishing. That much was obvious with his CL performances last season. His issues are more to do with nerves than anything for me.

He needs settling in like Fabinho did. If he is still struggling towards Feb then we have an issue. The plan also probably was to ease him into the first team but the Jota injury sorta killed that plan.
Have you not read this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back