Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can do the saints review for them in a couple of lines here on big footy.

Stop trading for overpaid B and C grade players and instead go back to the draft for another 2 years, starting in this years draft and bank some more quality young talent.
wanganeen milera, windhager and owens were a very good haul last year from average draft hand. Do that again for two more years.

Review complete.

I can do the saints review for them in a couple of lines here on big footy.

Stop trading for overpaid B and C grade players and instead go back to the draft for another 2 years, starting in this years draft and bank some more quality young talent.
wanganeen milera, windhager and owens were a very good haul last year from average draft hand. Do that again for two more years.

Review complete.
Problem is they are just about the worst drafters / developers going around. So so many misses

Last edited:

This thing has to be the

problem is they are just about the worst drafters / developers going around. So so many misses
Yeah you’d have to think if someone like Geelong or Richmond got say, Jack billings for the last 8 years he’d be a dual AA wingman by now.
They don’t seem to develop raw talent well. Kings goal kicking another example

Yeah you’d have to think if someone like Geelong or Richmond got say, Jack billings for the last 8 years he’d be a dual AA wingman by now.
They don’t seem to develop raw talent well. Kings goal kicking another example
I always like putting drafting / developing side by side now. I think it's been shown they are very interlinked and you cant criticise one without the other. I'm also really intrigued just how much environment / opportunity can impact a players career. It's pretty insane you can have a couple of consensus busts in Brodie and Wright, leave GC and become borderline AA squad players within a year or two.

I think top 10 picks in particular, the talent scouting is correct 90% of the time, it's mainly developing that lets teams down (there are obvious exceptions here). It's why that if you're not a basketcase club, you should just about ALWAYS go for quantity of top 10 picks compared to quality of them IMO

Last edited:
I always like to putting drafting / developing side by side now. I think it's been shown they are very interlinked and you cant criticise one without the other. I'm also really intrigue just how much environment / opportunity can impact a players career. It's pretty insane you can have a couple of consensus busts in Brodie and Wright, leave GC and become borderline AA squad players within a year or two.

I think top 10 picks in particular, the talent scouting is correct 90% of the time, it's mainly developing that lets teams down (there are obvious exceptions here). It's why that if your not a basketcase club, you should just about ALWAYS go for quantity of top 10 picks compared to quality of them IMO
Yeah I agree with that - often wondered how Melbourne had so many busts in the top 10 from 2008-12, it just defied statistical logic that they couldn’t pick a top end talent in that ara that lived up to it.
Clearly the club was a mess and the young lads drifted and didn’t develop properly.
Jack Watts (1)
Sam blease (17)
James Strauss (19) sandwiched between them was local Melbourne product by the name of Luke Shuey at 18

Tom Scully (1)
Jack Trengove (2)
Jordan Gysberts (11)
Luke Tapscott (18)
Fyfe went 20 that year 😂

Lucas cook (12)

Jimmy Toumpas (4)

Their nightmare finally ended with Christian Salem in 2013 at pick 9 and him living up to the hype by becoming an AA premiership player.
I counted 9 top 20 picks in 4 years that were busts. Incredible really.

Caro and Eddie going to break a story that will change the face of football apparently

Tonight at 9:40 on “Footy Class” (expression trademarked for exclusive use by C. Hutchinson)

So what was this ground breaking news ?
Anyone send it ?

Problem is they are just about the worst drafters / developers going around. So so many misses

There was incredible stat I saw in The Mongrel Punt a few weeks ago that they’ve had 140 swings at the draft since they picked their last AA player. That includes countless early picks and first rounders. That’s unbelievable incompetence. A player like Steele doesn’t count since he was drafted by GWS.

There was incredible stat I saw in The Mongrel Punt a few weeks ago that they’ve had 140 swings at the draft since they picked their last AA player. That includes countless early picks and first rounders. That’s unbelievable incompetence. A player like Steele doesn’t count since he was drafted by GWS.
Sinclair surely breaks that streak but just incredible

Strong argument that instead of using draft picks to assist struggling clubs the AFL provide soft cap concessions to support player development. Possibly extending a list to include some veterans as on field mentors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five or six umpires ball watching won't change a thing. But umpires dedicated to watching for holds and blocks behind and in front of the ball will change the game.

They will barely need to run so they could umpire more games a weekend
With the subjectivity of the AFL rules it would be a rare contest that you couldn't find something to call. Another ump will just have to justify their role and cost.

I think it would be simpler to just give a free kick to whoever touched the ball first, and the opp player can stand next to them with their arms down until they dispose of the ball.

Meanwhile I will continue to watch more WAFL.

Sinclair surely breaks that streak but just incredible

I'd almost want to exclude players taken in the rookie draft for the purposes of judging a list management team, especially when that same draft year was the one they had the first selection in the draft. They has #1, #21 in the first round and then #22 and #41.

They got 37, 10, 73 and 87 games from that draft.

Jack Sinclair was pick #1 in the rookie draft. Very good selection.

With the subjectivity of the AFL rules it would be a rare contest that you couldn't find something to call. Another ump will just have to justify their role and cost.

I think it would be simpler to just give a free kick to whoever touched the ball first, and the opp player can stand next to them with their arms down until they dispose of the ball.

We certainly don't want the game to devolve into every play resulting in a whistle.

They've got an excellent umpire program, which begs the question why only a handful are apparently good enough for AFL.

Dean Margetts is on record as not liking the dissent rule at all (basically said it's not really needed and you'd get better results if you just talked to players respectfully and have a conversation), which gives you an idea about what the AFL values. The stuff WAFL umpires get dropped over I see AFL umpires do all the time when I watch games so tbh... the whole thing doesn't really make sense.

We certainly don't want the game to devolve into every play resulting in a whistle.
on the weekend watch a WAFL game and then an AFL game. The difference in whistle blowing is stunning. And why do the commentary team always talk fondly during finals when umps 'put away their whistles'. Why not umpire that way every week. A fourth ump can only make it worse.

on the weekend watch a WAFL game and then an AFL game. The difference in whistle blowing is stunning. And why do the commentary team always talk fondly during finals when umps 'put away their whistles'. Why not umpire that way every week. A fourth ump can only make it worse.

I thought there were more free kicks paid in prior decades?

I'm a strong believer they should call everything.

There'll be a s**t tonne of free kicks for a few weeks, then the players will adjust and the numbers will go down

Instead we have players pushing the rules every game and it varies when it's called and that's why there's so many issues.

I'm a strong believer they should call everything.

There'll be a s**t tonne of free kicks for a few weeks, then the players will adjust and the numbers will go down

Instead we have players pushing the rules every game and it varies when it's called and that's why there's so many issues.
Yes, it's the only way to achieve consistency, unless the goal is consistently inconsistent.

The Hannebery trade highlights the difference in management between Sydney and St Kilda, and it's not all just about the picks.
Sydney somehow convinced the Saints to pick up his contract of $800k a year. (There was still 3 years left) which freed up their cap to concentrate on securing their top end talent (Papley ect).
For Saints, it was the exact opposite. They are paying $800k per year to a guy that has managed 13 games in 3 years and was known for soft tissue injuries. Shocking call really.

If WC lose by roughly 100+ they could become the 3rd worst non-expansion team this century. North would need to lose by around 160+ to become the worst.

2 win teams and their percentage this century
WC 61.25%
North 56.50%
Carlton 59.29%
Melbourne 54.07%
*GWS 50.97% (1 win)
*GWS 46.17%
Freo 72.02%
St Kilda 70.51%

West Coast aren't being blown out. With Cameron out Barrass will hold Hawkins relatively quiet. It'll be a bruise-free cruise from both sides.

Going through and looking at it, man Geelong have had a cruisy fixture. Not taking too much away from them, 11 wins in a row is a great effort no matter who you are.

But, North twice, WCE twice, Port twice, Suns at the end of the year when they're injured and cooked, Melbourne once, Brisbane once, Collingwood once, Sydney once... Pretty cruisey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back