FB: Duryea Gardner Darcy
HB: Richards Keath Dale
C: Roarkus Liberatore Treloar
HF: Dunkley Naughton Baz
FF: Flea JUH Bruce
R: English Bont Macrae
INT: West Garcia Daniel Hunter
Sub: Scott

Does Johannisen come straight in if fit? VDM was clearly preferred over West for speed and team balance, not form. If we were going to pick West first we would have done so last week, they're very different players. More likely JJ comes in for that role, than West that we maybel didn't feel like we had a position for. With Garcia coming out of the team as well, it's certainly a retooling of team balance.

Other than obvious questions about our talls, I think Williams might be the one at risk to keep his spot if we want to bring in West. With two proper wingers I'm not so sure about Williams' role and position. Even against GWS even though he kicked those two burst goals, was very poor before that in the first half. Wait and see.
Williams has been way below par all season. You're right we do seem to have a bunch of options for the wing now... Hunter, Roarke, Treloar, Smith.

I'd be fine with West coming back in for Williams. Doubt it happens though.

Funny how Bruce is so polarising.
I have always valued his physical competitiveness compared to what someone like Schache brings.
He's certainly been competitive in the ruck.
He's one of my favourite players. Love his energy and you can tell he's a big team guy, always gives his all.
Well off the pace this year though... not surprising given the injury at his age and size.
Put him on ice for the year and get him back up and about for next season.

In: Sweet, Schache, Kearh
Out: VDM, conceding 5m on the mark, zone defence

English, Darcy, JUH, Naughton, Bruce forward
Gardner, Keath, Cordy back
Sweet and Schache ruck

Bevo to go nuts on a tall team.

4 weeks of out marking oppos, and KPFs kicking bags, and strolling to a flag.

Then off-season of bringing in Lobb, Logue, Jones and Barrass.

Bevo is a tactical genius, we will go through finals and all of 2023 undefeated.

Me thinks the seconds might be a team of talls ;)

Over the past three finals series the side has played an opponent late in the year and then again in the finals on 4 occasions and the results have flipped dramatically in all of them

2019: Bulldogs by 61 in round 22, Giants by 58 in the elimination final

2021: Essendon by 13 in round 21, Bulldogs by 49 in the elimination final.
Port by 2 in round 23, Bulldogs by 71 in the prelim.
Bulldogs by 20 in round 19, Melbourne by 74 in the grand final

2022: Freo by 17 in round 22.....

I think there's something to one side being comfortable with what worked and the other knowing they've got to bring something else to the table.

Last edited:
Like of see:
In: Schache, Buku, West, Keath
Out: Bruce, Williams, VDM, Cordy

No way Bevo makes these changes. He will probably drop JUH ffs.
Daniel is hanging by a thread IMO and you just know Hannan will somehow get back in.

Over the past three finals series the side has played an opponent late in the year and then again in the finals on 4 occasions and the results have flipped dramatically in all of them

2019: Bulldogs by 61 in round 22, Giants by 58 in the elimination final

2021: Essendon by 13 in round 21, Bulldogs by 49 in the elimination final.
Port by 2 in round 23, Bulldogs by 71 in the prelim.
Bulldogs by 20 in round 19, Melbourne by 74 in the grand final

2022: Freo by 17 in round 22.....

I think there's something to one side being comfortable with what worked and the other knowing they've got to bring something else to the table.
That works for me, although Bulldogs def Coll by 48...we might have to play them at some stage. Maybe we can get Geelong we more than owe them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's one of my favourite players. Love his energy and you can tell he's a big team guy, always gives his all.
Well off the pace this year though... not surprising given the injury at his age and size.
Put him on ice for the year and get him back up and about for next season.
I think that Bevo likes Bruce as the second ruck. Also likes his physical presence. My money would be on Juice staying in the team. But who the hell knows really?

Only 3 teams have made the GF and only one has won the flag outside the top 4 since the final 8. We have done it twice winning one, it would defy logic if we could do it again the way we have played this season.
Then again our form against the top 4 gives us a shot. We've beaten 3 of them. The only one we didn't beat is Geelong, and we wouldn't meet them at goombah again. If we get through week 1, who knows.

I will really feel for Bruce if he does get dropped. Never played a final, does his knee and missed out altogether last season but just hasn’t looked comfortable at any point since he’s come back & could miss out again.

It’s a chance, but he’ll need a big couple of weeks on the training track going at 100% to make sure he’s earnt a spot if he makes it

Am I crazy???

Or…

Do we accept that our defense needs a total revamp and go into the finals with Keath, Gardener, Naughton, Doc, Dale, Richards and Williams down back

Up front run with Bruce, Marra, Darcy, JJ, Cody and Westy.

I will really feel for Bruce if he does get dropped. Never played a final, does his knee and missed out altogether last season but just hasn’t looked comfortable at any point since he’s come back & could miss out again.

It’s a chance, but he’ll need a big couple of weeks on the training track going at 100% to make sure he’s earnt a spot if he makes it
FYI he played in our 2020 final

That works for me, although Bulldogs def Coll by 48...we might have to play them at some stage. Maybe we can get Geelong we more than owe them.

The Collingwood game was mid year I’m talking about late season games, look at the other late season games and how things changed in the finals

Round 18 Sydney beat the Giants by 26, the Giants win the elimination final by 1

Round 21 The Giants beat Geelong by 19, Geelong win the semi final by 35

Round 23 Melbourne come from behind to win after the siren, and then win the Prelim by 83

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FYI he played in our 2020 final

Oh wow, didn’t realise that. Just recalled someone mentioning it, but maybe it was never won a final before when it seemed likely we were going to win at least 1. Always need to wonder what would have happened if he didn’t go down at the end of a game already over :(

Out: Darcy, R.Smith, Cordy, McComb
In: West, JJ, Crozier, Keath

Duryea Keath Richards
Dale Gardner Crozier
Hunter Libba Treloar
B.Smith Naughton Dunkley
Weightman Bruce JUH

English Bont Macrae
Daniel West JJ Williams VDM(sub)

Darcy and R.Smith don't deserve to be dropped after last week but let me explain the in's.
West for obvious forward pressure and finals worthy attack on the ball.
JJ for the large ground and potential open space to run in the front half.
Crozier to ensure we have another "defender" in defence and free up Dale and Richards to be more attacking.
Keath coz he is our best key back, even at 75% healthy/out of form

if we need another tall, i'd keep Cordy and drop Williams. Darcy is our future but not right now. And can't play Bruce and Darcy in the same team i reckon.

Duryea Keath Richards
Dale Gardner Crozier
Hunter Libba Treloar
B.Smith Naughton Dunkley
Weightman Bruce JUH

English Bont Macrae

Darcy and R.Smith don't deserve to be dropped after last week but let me explain the in's.
Crozier to ensure we have another "defender" in defence and free up Dale and Richards to be more attacking.

if we need another tall, i'd keep Cordy and drop Williams. Darcy is our future but not right now. And can't play Bruce and Darcy in the same team i reckon.

This could be the worst take on this thread. West the only decent call here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Duryea Keath Richards
Dale Gardner Crozier
Hunter Libba Treloar
B.Smith Naughton Dunkley
Weightman Bruce JUH

English Bont Macrae

Darcy isn't getting dropped. He turned the game against the Hawks with two in a minute.

Big blokes don't get any shorter as the game goes on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back