Scandal The 2016 finals series was rigged

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not a coincidence a very large amount of neutral supporters think this game was terribly umpired.

Swans were absolutely robbed and the standard of umpiring for a professional league is pathetic. Bad umpires decide close games every year - but this Grand Final was about as blatant as it gets and a huge disadvantage to the Swans.

This is ON TOP of having to play the Dogs in their home state despite finishing on top of the ladder.

Oh no, the gf was played at the G.

Game was clearly rigged!!!!

Olympic level straw clutching.

To be honest , my gripe about this GF is not the umpiring or against the Dogs as they were the better side on the day - but the scheduling of finals games by the AFL that year.

The Dogs played the first final on a Thursday night against the Eagles and got a days break on Hawthorn (who finished top4) for the semi final the next week. So essentially they had regular 7/8 day breaks over the final series.

I don’t mind Thursday night finals but they really should be between 1v4 or 2v3, so the top 4 teams get a longer break than the 6v7/5v8 teams - but hey , I’m sure the AFL isn’t stupid enough to do this again.

Oh wait they did. The loser of Dees v Swans plays Richmond the following week with a days less break 🙄

To be honest , my gripe about this GF is not the umpiring or against the Dogs as they were the better side on the day - but the scheduling of finals games by the AFL that year.

The Dogs played the first final on a Thursday night against the Eagles and got a days break on Hawthorn (who finished top4) for the semi final the next week. So essentially they had regular 7/8 day breaks over the final series.

I don’t mind Thursday night finals but they really should be between 1v4 or 2v3, so the top 4 teams get a longer break than the 6v7/5v8 teams - but hey , I’m sure the AFL isn’t stupid enough to do this again.

Oh wait they did. The loser of Dees v Swans plays Richmond the following week with a days less break 🙄
It wasn't the first time an elimination final has been played 2 days before a qualification final, and it has happened since too.

Disagree. There's a lot of bitterness for a game that was unintentionally favoured throughout by the AFL - but it's pot calling the kettle black if Swans fans can't acknowledge 2005 and even Tigers a bit in 2017. Difference being Crows imploded, Swans just ran out of legs, figuratively and physically literally (Hanners )

Swans fans weren't bitter towards Dogs supporters until they started acting like they were king dingaling, better than sliced bread, and Sydney was lower than pond scum. Gracious in victory the Bulldogs were not.

Talking about either supporter group as if they’re a single entity is pretty silly but my observations as a dogs supporter that rarely posts here is that dogs fans reacted to being told they cheated in winning their first flag in 62 years by rubbing their accusers noses in it. For what it is worth, in six years since as an avid dogs fan that lives in the west, has lived in Sydney and is there nearly every other week, I have never observed this behaviour in real life from either side. It seems to exist purely on social media and BigFooty, which I guess is real life for a lot of people.

Unlikely, but it was a big coincidence they won after Leicester City won the premier league, which was huge coverage world wide. AFL don't like being off-topic.

Unlikely, but it was a big coincidence they won after Leicester City won the premier league, which was huge coverage world wide. AFL don't like being off-topic.
The Chicago Cubs winning the World Series in 2016 for the 1st time since 1908 was a far bigger story than both.

How do you reckon Dogs fans would deal with losing a GF with that free kick margin?
As someone who umpires in community football, the free kick count has proven to be the most irrelevant statistic in relation to winning or losing in Australian Rules football. I can't remember a game where both teams' supporters haven't complained. The team with fewer frees because they "woz robbed", and the team with more frees because it "doesn't matter how many mate, it's where ya' pay 'em".

Boyd should have won 2016, Houli should have won 2017. Boyd was the difference in his marking and contests and his goals were huge. Very much cheated.

JJ was a stat padder in 2016 and did very little. Houli played the same role but was brilliant all day and he was instrumental in scores. Dusty popped up late and dominated after the game was already lost. Still played a great game, but Houli was great all day.

I was shocked when JJ won it, disappointed when Dusty won it.
GFs, even more than other games, are decided by crucial moments that shape the momentum of the game.

It’s a real shame NS voting is so influenced by stat sheets.

If a game is effectively over at 3/4 or half time, nothing after that point should factor into NS voting IMO.

Adelaide’s best chance of winning in 2017 was to capitalise on the scoreboard in the first 1/4 and half, while they were on top in general play. I actually think Rance had the biggest impact on the result, as he repelled numerous attacks in that period of the game. If you take either Houli or Dusty out, Richmond still win that game (but I agree Houli more influential than Dusty). If you take Rance out, Adelaide could have been up by 5 goals at 1/4 time, and full of confidence to go on with it.

On the same basis, Boyd clearly influenced the result more than anyone in 16

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chicago Cubs winning the World Series in 2016 for the 1st time since 1908 was a far bigger story than both.

As someone who umpires in community football, the free kick count has proven to be the most irrelevant statistic in relation to winning or losing in Australian Rules football. I can't remember a game where both teams' supporters haven't complained. The team with fewer frees because they "woz robbed", and the team with more frees because it "doesn't matter how many mate, it's where ya' pay 'em".
Lol. I note that it’s supporters of particular clubs who frequently speak in defence of the umpires (WB, Richmond, Crows) and others who have a white-hot hatred for them (Port, Essendon).

Do you not have a bias towards umpires as you prefer to think of the ‘16 premiership as legitimate?

It needs to be stressed: the idea that the dogs were gifted the GF is very popular among neutrals.

GFs, even more than other games, are decided by crucial moments that shape the momentum of the game.

It’s a real shame NS voting is so influenced by stat sheets.

If a game is effectively over at 3/4 or half time, nothing after that point should factor into NS voting IMO.

Adelaide’s best chance of winning in 2017 was to capitalise on the scoreboard in the first 1/4 and half, while they were on top in general play. I actually think Rance had the biggest impact on the result. If you take either Houli or Dusty out, Richmond still win that game (but I agree Houli more influential than Dusty).

On the same basis, Boyd clearly influenced the result more than anyone in 16

Good point on Rance and I think he came 3rd in the NS voting? Had a brilliant 1st half and barely saw the ball in the 2nd half which is hardly his fault because the Crows crumbled.

Also why I rate Frawley's game in 2015 so highly. Kept Kennedy scoreless for the first time in years. In fact, Kennedy knew he had been crushed and had a chance for a goal late in the game and instead passed it away. Im pretty sure he knew he didnt deserve a score.

Boyd showed glimpses in the Prelim in the ruck, and I just loved his Grand Final. Did everything you would want from a forward/ruck. Just a shame he missed 2 shots at goal. If he'd got 4 goals I cant imagine JJ wins it.

Yeahhhhhhh look big story, but not on the same level as Leicester winning a league dominated by rich clubs and supported by 90% of the worlds population.

Lol. I note that it’s supporters of particular clubs who frequently speak in defence of the umpires (WB, Richmond, Crows) and others who have a white-hot hatred for them (Port, Essendon).

Do you not have a bias towards umpires as you prefer to think of the ‘16 premiership as legitimate?

It needs to be stressed: the idea that the dogs were gifted the GF is very popular among neutrals.
Why on earth would Tiger fans, whose club has had more free kicks paid against them than many other clubs in recent years, speak in defence of umpires?

According to who?

coincidentally both league wins were fixed as shite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back