Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 The 2nd - Defending Our Flag for Back to Back Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Womens.afl have put up their proposed best 21 for the Crows: Your club's best 21: Adelaide

A few notable things. They've listed Randall to CHF to cover the loss of Phillips, which although not a stupid idea (our defence functioned fine with Randall out for most of last season, and she has played there previously) is not the way I would like us to go. Randall is defence just feels right to me, and chances are if we're going to be successful this year it will again be on the back of supreme defence. Also if we are to win finals, our likely opponents (Melbourne, Brisbane, Collingwood, North, etc) all have dynamic forward lines which we will need Randall back there to stop. Mind you, they've also named Whiteley up forward as well, surely it's one or the other.

With them putting Randall up forward, they have slotted Ward down back, which I'm not convinced of at all based on the trial match. Randall for Ward is not a straight swap and having her back there along with Rajcic, Allan and Biddell makes us a bit too tall. At this stage I think Ward is depth, unless they want to try her up forward.

They've named Considine but have written a fair bit about how she would be on the cusp of being dropped for the likes of Munyard, Ballard and Tonon. To which I say, yes please, any of those three will do.

They've named Kelly, which I think is the biggest question mark of our season. Does Kelly fit in? It seems likely she does, but where? At this stage they've named Jones in the engine room (and seem to imply that she played there last season, which I don't think is right) which opens up a space for Kelly on the wing. I think a better way would be to assume that Charlton will spend more time in the engine room and Kelly then goes where Charlton was.

Finally they seem resigned to Prowse either playing as a ruck or not at all, which I hope is not the case.

Still only two Crows in Sarah Black's top 30 players so far, only the top 5 spots left to go. Presumably Marinoff and Hatchard will both feature in there.

Surprised Eloise Jones didn't sneak into the top 30 (she surely won't be top 5) but I'll bet she does next year!
A bit dirty about Randall not being in there either.

She'll be 2 years back from the knee this year though.
Wouldn't mind some 2018/209 style "play her a kick behind the ball" stuff - and watch her just totally dominate everything.

A bit dirty about Randall not being in there either.

She'll be 2 years back from the knee this year though.
Wouldn't mind some 2018/209 style "play her a kick behind the ball" stuff - and watch her just totally dominate everything.

I guess fair enough since it's only based on last year's form and she missed half the season, but yes, an up-and-firing Randall is easily top 10 in the comp.

I agree, love her playing a kick behind the ball and just destroying players.

Are games on FTA or only on Kayo? If they've lost FTA rights it'll be a disaster for exposure IMO.

Most games are Foxtel/Kayo only. We're lucky that we'll get our games on Channel 7. In general there will be a game of the day broadcast on FTA and that's it.

In round 1, for example, only three games are broadcast FTA nationally. The Thursday night season opener, our Friday night game, and just one of the Saturday games. None of the Sunday games. It's a real shame.

You can stream them on womens.afl but I assume that only becomes active the day after the match.

Edit: Another source says one of the Sunday games will be on FTA, so maybe four matches out of the nine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most games are Foxtel/Kayo only. We're lucky that we'll get our games on Channel 7. In general there will be a game of the day broadcast on FTA and that's it.

In round 1, for example, only three games are broadcast FTA nationally. The Thursday night season opener, our Friday night game, and just one of the Saturday games. None of the Sunday games. It's a real shame.

You can stream them on womens.afl but I assume that only becomes active the day after the match.

Edit: Another source says one of the Sunday games will be on FTA, so maybe four matches out of the nine.

The womens.afl/AFLW app is a live stream. There’s no on-demand replay though (which is a Fox/Kayo exclusive)

The AFL needs to do better here.
You've got bazillions of dollars tied into the overall TV rights program. Channel 7 has like, 6 channels, all the FTA broadcasters do. And there's not much on, so it's not like you're squeezing out quality, high-viewership content.

If they're serious about promoting womens footy then the next negotiation needs to ensure similar FTA coverage to the mens game.
I don't see a reason why the AFL can't make that happen given the demand for their product.

Disney+ series finally came out at 4:30pm (apparently they get released midnight LA time for some reason), and they’re drip feeding it week by week (I’d rather they just release the lot and let us binge it, it’s not like we don’t know how the season ends 😂).

The 4 clubs involved are us, GWS, Bulldogs and Collingwood.

Generally speaking, it’s an AFLW version of the Amazon series on the AFL last year, right down to Brid Stack playing the Coniglio role.

Disney+ series finally came out at 4:30pm (apparently they get released midnight LA time for some reason), and they’re drip feeding it week by week (I’d rather they just release the lot and let us binge it, it’s not like we don’t know how the season ends 😂).

The 4 clubs involved are us, GWS, Bulldogs and Collingwood.

Generally speaking, it’s an AFLW version of the Amazon series on the AFL last year, right down to Brid Stack playing the Coniglio role.
Just watched the first episode and loving it.
The first episode follows Chelsea (Crows), Bri Davey (Collingwood), Brid Stack (GWS) and Amanda Ling (WB). Excited to see more, since we know how this one ends. I'm sure this will be much better than the Crows one they're doing which follows the mens team in the wooden spoon year.

There is some quality media at the moment for Crows supporters. Chelsea's interview a few days back, the first two quarters of Sound the Alarm on womens.afl, the first episode of Fearless which features some good Crows content, and even an interview from Marinoff on the Credit to the Girls podcast on womens.afl.

I just finished watching the first episode of Fearless, it's very nicely done, enough to keep my interest even in the non-Crows parts. I got a bit emotional watching Davey go down with the ACL.

Edit: And another ACL, Renee Saulitis from St Kilda this time :( Only a partial tear and she has been training since doing it, but has now opted for surgery.

Last edited:
There is some quality media at the moment for Crows supporters. Chelsea's interview a few days back, the first two quarters of Sound the Alarm on womens.afl, the first episode of Fearless which features some good Crows content, and even an interview from Marinoff on the Credit to the Girls podcast on womens.afl.

I just finished watching the first episode of Fearless, it's very nicely done, enough to keep my interest even in the non-Crows parts. I got a bit emotional watching Davey go down with the ACL.

Edit: And another ACL, Renee Saulitis from St Kilda this time :( Only a partial tear and she has been training since doing it, but has now opted for surgery.
That was heartbreaking when all you hear are her screams. Even the players stopped to see how she was :(

Anyone watch the latest episode of Fearless. During training, Eb Marinoff knocks Woodlands teeth in and Woodland's obviously really upset and Eb is just like, don't worry, they can fix that. At least you're not concussed and you can play next week lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back