Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a strong year for rising star. Three players serve it. I wouldn’t trade newk for either of the other two. The rising star selectors can go to that same hell as the aa selectors belong in for not watching enough games to make an informed decision.

angry eric cartman GIF by South Park

Nothing surer than media nuffies reaming us in awards like this. Clarko never won coach of the year during his time at the hawks despite being known as the greatest coach of the modern era…

Cyril came second to Rhys Palmer and Ryan Burton lost to Andy McGrath so no doubt Daicos, Ginnivan, Dekoning and maybe even Martin will somehow be voted ahead of Duke…

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sicily somehow misses the AA side as the cherry on top…
Funny you say that, I listened to the AFL Daily podcast this morning and Barrett mentioned most of the defenders in the squad as being worthy of the AA side without mentioning Sicily. When Josh Gabelich said Sic should be a lock for AA, bellend said "REALLY?!" in a disbelieving tone. So it wouldn't surprise.

A lot of "unsexy mid season draft pick" in those AFL.com rankings. Unworthy of attention (Nic Martin lol). There is a genuine argument for Newcombe being the top performed candidate this year. In my view he should finish second in the rankings behind Daicos, but I don't care. Would prefer to have him on our list moving forward above all other names (except Daicos). I'd probably take Ward over the rest moving forward too (would accept an argument on De Koning). That's all that matters.

Agree. I'm sure the fact both he and SDK are older and a bit more physically mature than Daicos is being held against them.

IMO the best recognition is the coaches votes. And based on that the Duke is miles out in front.

If DGB does what De Koning has done this year in his 3rd year next season, this board will be fapping all over the place labelling him the potential best defender in the comp for the next decade.
You do realise its a Hawthorn board discussion yeah ? Ofcourse we would and rightfully so

I really hope your not comparing De Koning who plays in the best side , best defence, gets support at almost every contest etc to DGB who we pretty much have exposed in a defence who gives up a lot of quality 50s so he can learn ?

Funny you say that, I listened to the AFL Daily podcast this morning and Barrett mentioned most of the defenders in the squad as being worthy of the AA side without mentioning Sicily. When Josh Gabelich said Sic should be a lock for AA, bellend said "REALLY?!" in a disbelieving tone. So it wouldn't surprise.
Barrett even questioning Sicily being in consideration says to me he barely watched us all year. Not sexy enough for him. The bloke played as an undersized defender every week and racked up consistently high numbers in all metrics every week. What part of that is so hard to comprehend when deciding who should be in the AA team.

So at least the senior coaches recognise he's the best young player. Y'know, the people paid the mega bucks because they know football. And one of the few awards voted on by experts who actually watch every game they're voting on.

How is that one decided Dom?

More credibility than the rising star popularity contest if it is voted for by the coaches
Most AFLCA coaches votes in the given year awarded to any player (no age or game limit) in their first two seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st I50s - 90 (Daicos 2nd on 60)

1st Goal Assists - 16 (Durdin 2nd on 13)

1st Tackles - 101 (Maginness 2nd on 57)

1st Contested Possessions - 201 (JHF 2nd on 142)

1st Centre Clearances - 33 (JHF 2nd on 19)

1st Clearances - 85 (JHF 2nd on 58)

1st Average Metres Gained - 435pg (Daicos 2nd on 407)

1st Score Involvements - 119 (Nic Martin 2nd on 118)

2nd Disposals - 497 (Daicos 1st with 571)

1st Coaches’ votes Newc - 44 votes, Daicos - 30 votes, SDK - 21 votes

The 21-year-old polled 44 votes over the last two seasons to finish ten votes ahead of Sydney's Errol Gulden who ended with 34 votes, while Geelong young defender Sam De Koning finished in third place.

---
AFL Coaches Association CEO Alistair Nicholson congratulated Newcombe on his first two seasons in the AFL.

“What an impressive and quick rise for young Jai. He should be proud to have received 44 votes from the coaches since being taken in the 2021 mid-season draft. We look forward to watching his future successes," Nicholson said.

Last year's winners of the award were Noah Anderson (Gold Coast) and Caleb Serong (Fremantle) while Sam Walsh (Carlton) claimed the 2020 award.

Taken from ---

Third in the Rising Star- a well deserved achievement for the young man!

1st – Nick Daicos (Collingwood) 60 votes
2nd – Sam De Koning (Geelong) 48 votes
3rd – Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn) 35 votes
4th – Jack Ginnivan (Collingwood) 21 votes
5th – Nic Martin (Essendon) 12 votes
6th – Jake Bowey (Melbourne) 2 votes
7th – Heath Chapman (Fremantle) 1 vote
8th – Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs) 1 vote

Remove this Banner Ad

Back