We made the finals… Changes VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question here.

Has West ever shown a level of midfield dominance at Footscray that would suggest that he could slot straight into the the most physically demanding midfield role on the ground. Even if its not on a like for like or on a rotational basis?

Id be interested in seeing if anybody could provide a breakdown of where on the ground he was playing before be was omitted from the side a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty evident that his form had been in decline during his last couple of games. I'd like to know if he spent any time on the ball during this time or if he was just wasting away at starvation corner.
I’m pretty sure West was runner up for the JJ Liston Trophy as an inside mid. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Being the 2nd best rated player in the VFL over a season gives you a decent argument for an AFL backup role, I would think.

Has to be McLean in for Libba in that case. Should be ripe to come in absolutely desperate to make an impact. Has experience playing mid minutes and obvious finals experience.

I'd still like West in as well as a forward

I’m pretty sure West was runner up for the JJ Liston Trophy as an inside mid. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Being the 2nd best rated player in the VFL over a season gives you a decent argument for an AFL backup role, I would think.

You could make a similar argument that our 2021 VFL B&F winner and only player in the the Team of the Year that season could also step into that role, but somehow I don't think anyone will be pushing for poor old Robbie.

What are you basing that statement on? From everything I’ve read, people want West in the team because they rate him. Garcia gets similar plaudits. These are talented young lads who get stuck in. Nobody wants to gift them games.
R West os hard as *, as is Garcia. Nothing to do with West’s bloodlines.

Do we know how bad Libbas hamstring is yet?
obviously don't wanna look past this week however in the event we beat them would he get up for the Semi if we make it?

Do we know how bad Libbas hamstring is yet?
obviously don't wanna look past this week however in the event we beat them would he get up for the Semi if we make it?
Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said it is unlikely Liberatore would be available next weekend if the club progresses past the Dockers.

"We were hoping that would just be (revealed in) selection news," Beveridge told reporters at ETU Stadium in Port Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

"He had an overstretch last week and got through the whole session, but post (training) we did some investigations and he won't play this week, unfortunately.

"If we get through, he will be touch and go beyond that. He won't be coming to WA."

Sounds like it happened at least a week ago and the club managed to keep it quiet but it got out the day before selection. Chris Bell said it was a low grade hamstring so I guess there's a small chance he would be available.

Genuine question here.

Has West ever shown a level of midfield dominance at Footscray that would suggest that he could slot straight into the the most physically demanding midfield role on the ground. Even if its not on a like for like or on a rotational basis?

Id be interested in seeing if anybody could provide a breakdown of where on the ground he was playing before be was omitted from the side a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty evident that his form had been in decline during his last couple of games. I'd like to know if he spent any time on the ball during this time or if he was just wasting away at starvation corner.
I think the answer to your first paragraph is that West has, on several occasions, definitely shown he can impact a game from the midfield. However, because he spends considerable time as a deep forward he hasn't often been used in this role for extended periods in a game. With McComb, Sullivan, MacPherson and others going through the middle, West has been used as an impact player rather than a 4 quarter type. Does this place a doubt on his fitness/durability? I'm not sure. I suspect if he is promoted for this week's game it would very much only be for a cameo role in the midfield.

would he get up for the Semi

gossip church muva GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said it is unlikely Liberatore would be available next weekend if the club progresses past the Dockers.

"We were hoping that would just be (revealed in) selection news," Beveridge told reporters at ETU Stadium in Port Melbourne on Wednesday morning.

"He had an overstretch last week and got through the whole session, but post (training) we did some investigations and he won't play this week, unfortunately.

"If we get through, he will be touch and go beyond that. He won't be coming to WA."

Sounds like it happened at least a week ago and the club managed to keep it quiet but it got out the day before selection. Chris Bell said it was a low grade hamstring so I guess there's a small chance he would be available.

To be frank, given the history with our high performance staff I wouldn't trust them with my life.

Assuming that he played predominately out of the middle during his first season then that is a fair point.

In a perverse way losing libba may have some benefits.

We will have to change the roles of a number of players because he’s so central to the team. That will generate some unpredictability given there is no example of him being out this year. If they apply a negating approach against us it may mean they miss the mark in their tactical approach…

McLean would be a nice story but i don’t think he’s been that good for Footscray. Looks heavier much like Bruce (obviously with the knees).

Honestly I don’t think bringing a mid in is the way. Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Treloar, Baz can and should lift. We know how much talent is in that group.

JJ is an easy enough in if fit. Would be happy with Toby as sub.

Toby has far more runs on the board than West or Garcia but I’d probably back both of them in over him also. And don’t discount Anthony Scott or Hannan returning either. In fact knowing Bev he’s surely itching to get both in.

But - would be a great boost to the team if Tobes comes in, imagine if he boots a quick goal. Would like to see it from an emotional pov, but it would be a bit of a risk.

You could make a similar argument that our 2021 VFL B&F winner and only player in the the Team of the Year that season could also step into that role, but somehow I don't think anyone will be pushing for poor old Robbie.
I actually think he’s more of a chance to share inside mid role with Dunks that West is. Robbie has at least been training with mids

I think we can now forget about it being wet. Probably a good thing without Libba.

Changes Outs Bruce, McNeill, VDM

Ins The manic start of the power prelim 2021

Schache, JJ, West or Garcia VDM medical sub

Dunks gets more minutes in the middle West or Garcia make the rest.

Schache to start back and Darcy forward

Saturday 3 September​

Summary
showers.png
Min 11Max 19Showers.Possible rainfall: 3 to 6 mmChance of any rain: 80%
rain_80.gif

Perth area​

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm about the northern suburbs. Winds easterly 25 to 40 km/h.

You know that’s not true MT. Garcia wouldn’t get mentioned in here a slither of what West does.

There’s a West obsession within our supporter base, I think it would be naive to think there isn’t.
Well we are the WESTern Bulldogs..... :p

I was watching McLean do some run throughs after either the Freo or GWS game and thought he looked much bigger (not in a good way) than when we previously saw him play in the seniors. VFL watchers can probably advise how he's looked in those games but i didnt think he looked fit.
Think he may have bulked up a lot in the gym while out injured. Looks too heavy to me as well.

West in as a forward. Tighten up the midfield rotation through the main guys already used in there. No more Macrae on the wing or hff, bont and dunks less time forward and less Treloar at HBF.

No need to add anyone else into the centre square mix
I agree but that midfield group and coaches need to ensure they remember how to defend as well as attack. On paper the weaknesses from the GF and other games are still there. They are good enough that do it so it’s coaching and mindset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back