Free Agency Conor McKenna - comes out of retirement to join Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see him going to a club in nsw or qld other than vic to avoid media in melb. At least he should and go to 1 of them and not any of the vic clubs.

Melbourne media?

What happen?
"No matter what job you have in life there are always repercussions, but the way the media works in Melbourne there doesn't seem to be," McKenna said.
"If there are no repercussions, they'll just continue to do that and treat players like a piece of meat."

Had a whack at morons like t. Browne on the way out. Well deserved too.

Melbourne media?

What happen?
King and Mooney called him out for doing something he was allowed to do during lockdown.
King copped to it eventually.

i don't think he left because of it. but that, into the uncertainty the world was facing and travel out of Australia being shut down, the covid hub and the chance to head home and make his name as a Gaelic player....everything just aligned for him to quit AFL.

Losing him and Saad in one window hurt us. More than Daniher and Raz.
Would love him back with Massimo as well. too elite kicks with excellent movement and pace. I'd probably trial him on a wing tbh. Modern game would suit him to a tee there.

King and Mooney called him out for doing something he was allowed to do during lockdown.
King copped to it eventually.

i don't think he left because of it. but that, into the uncertainty the world was facing and travel out of Australia being shut down, the covid hub and the chance to head home and make his name as a Gaelic player....everything just aligned for him to quit AFL.

Losing him and Saad in one window hurt us. More than Daniher and Raz.
Would love him back with Massimo as well. too elite kicks with excellent movement and pace. I'd probably trial him on a wing tbh. Modern game would suit him to a tee there.
We really didn't. Our lack of small forward is probably our second biggest issue, whereas half back is pretty strong

Essendon would obviously be in
Brisbane, Collingwood, GWS, Hawthorne, Port, St. Kilda and the Dogs too I'd think
I don’t think we’d be keen, he’s home for a paycheque so he’ll go where the money is, we’re covered in his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be asking for a lot of coin Carltons' salary cap will be buldging right now how you going to afford him.
man takeaway GIF

Had a whack at morons like t. Browne on the way out. Well deserved too.

tom browne was literally at essendon training commenting on conor sneezing.

absolute piece of s**t

tom browne was literally at essendon training commenting on conor sneezing.

absolute piece of s**t
Are there any fans left in the AFL that Tom Browne hasn’t pissed off at some point?
I saw yesterday even Tom Hawkins was taking the piss out of him and his white shirt on Hawkins farm 😂

I remember Marty Clarke left and came back after a few years, was never the same player and was a bust, sent home after one season.

I would take him back in a heartbeat.

If he went elsewhere I’d try to get compo from the league. Massively unfair we lost him for nothing.
Was he still under contract when he retired?

If so, Essendon should have the right to reinitiate the remaining contract and trade him under contract, or keep him.

Was he still under contract when he retired?

If so, Essendon should have the right to reinitiate the remaining contract and trade him under contract, or keep him.
He left at the end of 2020 with a year to go on his contract, which would’ve expired end of 2021.

As with other players who have retired and then returned to footy after 12 months out of the game, he will be eligible to sign with any club he wants during the preseason signing period. Examples include Shane Mumford and Zac Clarke.

We would only be able to trade him after retiring if he was still on our list - such as when Hodge retired and then Hawthorn had to trade him because he was bound to them until the conclusion of the draft, and he’d lost his FA rights by submitting retirement paperwork. I think Carlton is in the same boat with Jones, because it’s in the same cycle.

So McKenna is not bound to Essendon, we can’t trade him, we get nothing for him, and he can sign with any club he likes (including Essendon) during the supplemental selection period, which would make him a Category A rookie.

He’s not eligible as a Category B rookie because of the alternate pathway rules. He’s played footy too recently.

As a mature age player he could also go in the draft and name his price, but that would be a bit daft when he can choose where he goes via the SSP.

He left at the end of 2020 with a year to go on his contract, which would’ve expired end of 2021.

As with other players who have retired and then returned to footy after 12 months out of the game, he will be eligible to sign with any club he wants during the preseason signing period. Examples include Shane Mumford and Zac Clarke.

We would only be able to trade him after retiring if he was still on our list - such as when Hodge retired and then Hawthorn had to trade him because he was bound to them until the conclusion of the draft, and he’d lost his FA rights by submitting retirement paperwork. I think Carlton is in the same boat with Jones, because it’s in the same cycle.

So McKenna is not bound to Essendon, we can’t trade him, we get nothing for him, and he can sign with any club he likes (including Essendon) during the supplemental selection period, which would make him a Category A rookie.

He’s not eligible as a Category B rookie because of the alternate pathway rules. He’s played footy too recently.

As a mature age player he could also go in the draft and name his price, but that would be a bit daft when he can choose where he goes via the SSP.
The irony that he loses FA status, but is still a FA (via SPP)...but without Essendon getting compo.

Have to sit out for a year to sign via SSP though, otherwise they go to the draft.

This link explains what I was saying above, for those who need sauce;

I still don't likenit TBH. Someone could have a 5 year deal front ended, "retire" after 1 year with a negotiated payout, sit out 12m, then play for someone else the next year while the club gets nothing.

I think if they come out of "retirement" they should go back onto their contract remaining at the original club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back