Review Dees v the Blood-Stained angels: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll also have this out with anyone. We should be after De Goey. He's a big finals player who loves getting on the end of inside work and kicking big goals. Don't care if he's a supposed dickhead he's better than Brayshaw and Viney as a mid by a mile

Agree with long term what do we do with Sparrow, but he looked OK at the ground. Certainly better than Viney or Brayshaw.

Also agree with Richmond poster where we may have peaked in the finals last year but that doesn't mean we can't win another flag with the list. Geelong or even Pies list shows that retooling and changing strategy can work and put in you in a spot to pinch one.

Speed on the ball after contested marks is a great point. We go so slow after intercepts and can't generate looks like the 1st quarter all game. The one time we looked like last year was Sparrows goal when we clicked with all mids at clearance. We only managed it once.

I'll also have this out with anyone. We should be after De Goey. He's a big finals player who loves getting on the end of inside work and kicking big goals. Don't care if he's a supposed dickhead he's better than Brayshaw and Viney as a mid by a mile
You may be right but this club would not touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Look, I get the logic, even though I despise the guy. But you already complain about how much money we have tied up in mids, and you want to add another one? Yes, he kicks goals, but at the end of the day, still a mid, and between Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and him, we'd likely have a third of our cap tied up in five players whose best position is in the midfield.

Last year's stoppage goals dominace in finals remind me of West Coast in 2018 in a weird way. They had a great uncontested game that became very hard to stop when they lifted ground ball contested possession in the finals.

We had a great defensive and contested game that became unstoppable when we started dominating centre clearance goals. Not sure how we try and recreate that insane run again.

If we want to be more than a flash in the pan we need to evolve and get more skilled and generate clean inside 50s through 4 qrts. Could be doable, but having Brayshaw in the centre bombing it over his head in the middle isn't gonna get us there. Nor is Langdon, Jordan, Gawn (trac, clarry, viney, sparrow) etc. Kicking it in without any good shape on the kicks.

We need better users running through the middle, a proper key forward and a tweak in our gameplan with who kicks in in there. Or double down with proper key forwards and smalls crumbing and mids kicking to dangerous spots rather than the pockets. I just don't understand the mix of mids kicking inside 50 and our leading forwards we have right now.

Look, I get the logic, even though I despise the guy. But you already complain about how much money we have tied up in mids, and you want to add another one? Yes, he kicks goals, but at the end of the day, still a mid, and between Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw and him, we'd likely have a third of our cap tied up in five players whose best position is in the midfield.
Brayshaw needs to go back to the backline and Trac needs to become a 50% forward. Then gave him swapping with Degoey. Trac plays sparrows role but goes deep. Trac and Degoey swapping out of FF and that gets rid of the need to go get a big guy for the sake of it. Both of those guys with space would torch defenders one on one.

Exactly right! We don't have enough cap space for a lengthy Dogga contract, how tf are we getting DeGropey? Every club would take him for his onfield ability, but his price tag is ruling out a heap of clubs including us unless we get rid of a decent player or two or convince him to take a few hundred k off his asking price. Pies crazy if they let him go, but Saints and Bombers would be in boxseat if he leaves. They have cap space. Hawks as well would be ideal fit, especially if Mitchell leaves. Trac is good mates with him. Tell him to get in his ear. If Taranto can get a 7 year contract, DeGoey will be asking for big bucks and several years. Will rule a few out..

Main ugly for me. We have our game plan, we kick to the pockets an set up for stoppages. None of us love it but that's our style. Fine

Why the * do we then set up with Brown and Petracca at forward 50 stoppages. Hickey just pushed them away like they were ******* feathers and booted it clear. How do you have a game style revolved around forward stoppages and then half ass the * out of the set up. It's a bloody embarrassment

If it's because we are scared of the rebound so what Gawn and Jackson behind the ball then why even create the ******* stoppage.

This should be a lab post but can't be ****ed

Petracca is a bog average forward. There’s literally no chance we pay top dollar for another mid, especially one who shows up every three weeks and is a misdemeanour away from being sacked.

Petracca is a bog average forward. There’s literally no chance we pay top dollar for another mid, especially one who shows up every three weeks and is a misdemeanour away from being sacked.
Unlike all our other mids De Goey isn't just a mid. He can play at full forward for a half and dominate.

JVR in Brown out. Make it happen. Browns completely dog s*t useless at the moment he's a ****** anchor around our finals chances. Flog him off into early retirement and get someone in who will be able to get space on an opponent.

Look at how s**t Franklin was, if he had done a hammy in the first and theyd played a smaller forward line they probably would have flogged us.
Well I agree, but bringing JVR in now is just embarrassing for the club and the coaches. JVR should've been brought in 10-13 weeks ago.

I agree re: Franklin. Brisbane suit us because they have 3 talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logue or Lobb will look good in red and blue for Jackson
Logue is a very good defender one-on-one. He’s horrific as a forward, they might as well play Joel Smith forward.

If Melbourne chased him, it would be as a post retirement May replacement or to allow Petty to play forward.

Main ugly for me. We have our game plan, we kick to the pockets an set up for stoppages. None of us love it but that's our style. Fine

Why the * do we then set up with Brown and Petracca at forward 50 stoppages. Hickey just pushed them away like they were ******* feathers and booted it clear. How do you have a game style revolved around forward stoppages and then half ass the * out of the set up. It's a bloody embarrassment

If it's because we are scared of the rebound so what Gawn and Jackson behind the ball then why even create the ******* stoppage.

This should be a lab post but can't be *ed

Didn’t understand this either. Dumb.

Ok all. Apologies in advance. Here are my random, pointless and convoluted musings from watching:

1. Spargo.
The only man I trust to hit a target inside 50. If you want a team barometer, he is ours. I genuinely believe that. Can pluck a 30-40m pass just about from anywhere. We need him to get it more. At the same time we can't just rely on him to hit targets. Could Bowey also play that role? Or Salem half forward? Maybe this is more a pre-season/2023 idea.

2. Ben Brown and fwd line strategy.
BBB cops it a lot, but I really feel for him. What do we all know about BBB? 1. Not a contested marker (although last few weeks has taken a few). 2. Great(ish) set shot. 3. Used to get a lot of frees from arm chops on a lead. Not playing to his strengths at all. We seem to have a forward line strategy that is more designed around not kicking to the fat side for fear of the rebound effect. Lack of confidence in our i50 kicks perhaps? It's as if we think that a good i50 kick is one that goes out of bounds in our pocket. Ok, this might work well if we are dangerous from those types of stoppages, but last night showed we are not - and coincidentally, the Swans very much are (some of those shots on goal...nuts). Seeming lack of confidence more in our smalls being able to apply 'fat side' pressure rather than a lack of confidence in our talls taking a grab. Strategy seems to be too geared to not conceding when kicking inside 50....what?

3. Camera zooming.
Those effing frees...posing this: if the camera does not zoom in on Franklin flopping twice, does it even happen? (ancient Chinese proverb). Guarantee the umps watch the screens :p

4. 50m?
Legitimate question: why was the second Franklin flop a 50m penalty and not a free to him where he fell over? I'm sure there's a reasonable answer to this. I just don't know it.

5. Viney.
Just looked heavy and unsure tonight. Worried even. Concerning from a guy who I think is built for finals. He was one of many who favoured the panic handball to shoelaces method.

6. Back 6-7.
Honestly don't think they were bad at all. We had a 'Melbourne game' going for a lot of the night; first half especially. Had the intercepting going well. May obviously gigantic. Petty likewise (loved the Pap double tackle - clear HTB that second one but meh). People are potting Lever too but I thought he was serviceable. 3 50m pens and numerous stoppage goals isn't their doing.

7. Out on fulls.
Was it just me or did we dump an absurd number of OOTFs last night??? I lost count. And not just crap kicks i50 or shots on goal (Kozzie...the fk?!). Costly ones (Rivers 10m leftie sideways that ended up in a Stephens goal). There's hugging the boundary and then there's that. It's like the one time we tried to go in board was with Maxy (why why why why why), then after that we thought 'never again will anyone try a 45er for the rest of the night.'

8. Lack of dare.
Overall, I think I'm just disappointed at how seemingly conservative we were. If we go up by 4 goals, I presume an oppo team will drag that margin back. But if we go 3 goals down, I can't help but feel like the game is over. I don't have faith anymore that we can overcome 3+ goal deficits. That's a tough feeling to grapple with.

Done. Sorry
You would think we were playing at kp with those ootf.

Logue is a very good defender one-on-one. He’s horrific as a forward, they might as well play Joel Smith forward.

If Melbourne chased him, it would be as a post retirement May replacement or to allow Petty to play forward.

A more athletic version of Alastair Nicholson isn't something im interested in.

Sydney has a myriad of very dynamic mid sized players that rotate in and out of the forward line and midfield. Getting JDG would have its risk factors, but Hawthorn getting Lake was similar.

Agree with this.

McDonald fit can be the tall plus we have JVR. De Goey provides another element to a side that is needing dynamism in the F50 plus the ability to roll into the middle. I’d happily work to offload Salem and a pick for part of this to happen.

JDG was very good yesterday against Geelong.

Would rather see us swing for the fences with JVR than bring 1/4 fit TMac back.

100% would rather give JVR a shot even if he's not quite ready for the step up for AFL. At the very least, better giving something fresh a shot rather than bringing weids back in or something.

Papley is a smug prick but he's also someone I enjoy watching and would kill to have someone of his ilk and arrogance in our team..

Couldn't agree more with this, loving watching him play as he goes hard and with spirit and at the same time can''t help but hate him. Would be great to have someone like him on our side especially with how we are struggling atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back