Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 89 36.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To me the Pies came out with much greater intensity than the Cats, they had their chances to gain a substantial lead but didn’t take them.

Although the Pies played well and continue to earn respect, once Geelong settled into the contest I think there was a clear gap in quality between the two sides.

This is not meant as a knock on the Pies, they are a good side who continue to find ways to score and hang in to a contest and as such are capable of causing an upset or two in this finals, but to me the score after 1/4 time - 10.9 to 7.7 is a fair reflection of these two teams at their best.

I like your absurd justification - whoever initiated contact is completely irrelevant.

Continuing to choke Ginnivan after the initial contest is the issue.
Clear free - no debate.
Yep, clear free to Tuohy for holding the man, no debate

View attachment 1499846

I reckon this one captures him a bit better.
Still not coping well with the loss I take it?

8dcf6800-2dd0-436d-84e3-c5fa261a23c3

Nice bait.
Not really, that was the general consensus on social media after the game. The 'choke' was 100% Ginnivan's own doing as you can clearly see in the footage and the only player infringed upon was Tuohy who was dragged to the ground. Ginnivan has copped the rough end a few times but this is definitely not one of them.

Im having a very tough time dealing with conflicted feelings about Saturday.

Was this more or less enjoyable than the 2011 GF? And where do I rank the 07 prelim now? Spoiled for choice!

Im having a very tough time dealing with conflicted feelings about Saturday.

Was this more or less enjoyable than the 2011 GF? And where do I rank the 07 prelim now? Spoiled for choice!
I was actually thinking about that this morning.

You karnts have likely robbed us of three flags.

And despite that, I still respect Geelong as a footy club...

Not really, that was the general consensus on social media after the game. The 'choke' was 100% Ginnivan's own doing as you can clearly see in the footage and the only player infringed upon was Tuohy who was dragged to the ground. Ginnivan has copped the rough end a few times but this is definitely not one of them.
Please google the definition of consensus.

I'm pretty sure consensus =/= within the Geelong echo chamber. Might just be me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A qualifying loss? Yeah mate I'm devo.

On the bright side it sets up a Melbourne v Collingwood GF perfectly though.
Might be going a tad early, you've got two matches to win before you even start thinking of the GF. Me personally, I'm just happy to give semi-final week a miss this time around.

Might be going a tad early, you've got two matches to win before you even start thinking of the GF. Me personally, I'm just happy to give semi-final week a miss this time around.
You guys generally do well in week 2. Record of 5-1 in the SFs since that last flag. It’s the PF weekend that is a concern… 1-5 record there.

Still reckon you’ll get the job done though.

View attachment 1499190

This s**t has just as much of an impact on the kid’s mental health as the keyboard heros having a go at him online.

Imagine being out on the footy field (their workplace) and you’ve copped this treatment 3 times this season with no officiating to stamp it out.

I don’t blame the players, I blame the AFL/umpires for not doing anything and refuse to believe not one of the three officiating umpires didn’t see this happen 1-2 metres away from the ball/Dangerfield.

As much as you can choose to hate on Ginnivan and believe he is an antagonist, he shouldn’t have to cop this 3 times in his first full season of AFL footy, especially in 2022 when it’s all about image for Gill and co.
He grabbed his arm and pulled him down. You want him to get a free kick for that? Makes no sense. The way I see it here is they're both giving away free kicks so play-on is the correct call.

Also with the push in the back did he even get pushed? Seriously, the bloke went flying when Guthrie didn't even have any hands on him. Completely fine with that being play-on. Honestly, it's embarrassing and I don't know why any Collingwood supporters are even defending it. Was worse then Hawkins earlier in the year that I remember everyone getting up about.

There really is only one person who is the common factor in all of these situations, and it's him. He played a great game against us without needing to draw any free kicks. I have no idea how this is still even in his game at this point as it's only harming his team. Maybe if he holds his ground he actually marks that ball and kicks a goal, but who knows because his first thought was to try and milk a free.

The thing with Ginnivan is that when you accentuate the contact the way he does it makes it incredibly hard for the umpire to tell whether or not there was actually a free kick or if it was just a blatant dive. Because he has the reputation for playing for free kicks, which he’s earned, the umpire is more inclined to rule against him.

In both these instances if he just plays the ball then he probably gets a free.

Last edited:
You guys generally do well in week 2. Record of 5-1 in the SFs since that last flag. It’s the PF weekend that is a concern… 1-5 record there.

Still reckon you’ll get the job done though.
Yep, we're masters of the second week of finals - doesn't help with the nerves though. I'll take the straight passage to week 3 and have a relaxing week. :sweat:

Yep, we're masters of the second week of finals - doesn't help with the nerves though. I'll take the straight passage to week 3 and have a relaxing week. :sweat:
I’m trying to justify to myself that one game in 27 days is bad since we lost 😂 but then again, it means we’ve gotta win another game of footy in between AND then play the second best side in it on their home deck.

View attachment 1499190

This s**t has just as much of an impact on the kid’s mental health as the keyboard heros having a go at him online.

Imagine being out on the footy field (their workplace) and you’ve copped this treatment 3 times this season with no officiating to stamp it out.

I don’t blame the players, I blame the AFL/umpires for not doing anything and refuse to believe not one of the three officiating umpires didn’t see this happen 1-2 metres away from the ball/Dangerfield.

As much as you can choose to hate on Ginnivan and believe he is an antagonist, he shouldn’t have to cop this 3 times in his first full season of AFL footy, especially in 2022 when it’s all about image for Gill and co.
I also blame the AFL/umpires. In round 3 after Joel was caught holding the ball and Henry kicked the goal. Ginnivan went up to Selwood unprovoked and pushed him in the face/chest. Atkins dragged him to the ground and Ginnivan received a free kick and duly converted from 20m out. That sort of behaviour should not be rewarded or encouraged.

It seems many times on Saturday night, Ginnivan was happy to play the protagonist role and involve himself in afters repeatedly.

For the sake of his mental health, his club should suggest he focus solely on the football and the AFL/umpires should not reward his attempts to provoke reactions from opposition players.

He grabbed his arm and pulled him down. You want him to get a free kick for that? Makes no sense. The way I see it here is they're both giving away free kicks so play-on is the correct call.

I wasn’t asking for a free kick, or punishment to Tuohy, as I initially said, he needs to stop being targeted so inappropriately. Why hasn’t anyone just given him a massive hip and shoulder and flattened him fairly if he’s such an antagonist? I don’t reckon it’s appropriate that he gets grabbed around the neck.

You can get claim Ginnivan held it the whole time but if I’m a footy player and someone is trying to draw a free like that from me, I’m yanking my arm away from his neck ASAP, not following through with it.

Also with the push in the back did he even get pushed? Seriously, the bloke went flying when Guthrie didn't even have any hands on him. Completely fine with that being play-on. Honestly, it's embarrassing and I don't know why any Collingwood supporters are even defending it. Was worse then Hawkins earlier in the year that I remember everyone getting up about.

“Did he even get pushed?” Give it a spell. He was clearly pushed, and he added mayo to it. If you’re even asking if he was pushed you’re clearly not even being impartial with your views of Ginnivan and Collingwood supporters.

There really is only one person who is the common factor in all of these situations, and it's him. He played a great game against us without needing to draw any free kicks. I have no idea how this is still even in his game at this point as it's only harming his team. Maybe if he holds his ground he actually marks that ball and kicks a goal, but who knows because his first thought was to try and milk a free.

Not disputing any of that. But you justifying him getting put in a choker hold by Selwood, Redman and Tuohy because he extenuates free kicks? That’s your justification why it’s fair play?

Come on Wojcinski how often do we see players try and win frees with this s**t? Doesn’t warrant a follow through of continuing a chokehold by Tuohy.

View attachment 1499203

Do you see Ginnivan still have Tuohy’s arm there afterwards?

As I said, not blaming Tuohy, I’m blaming the umps for not calling this out.

Edit: pretty sure Lynch or Andrews actually won a free for holding the other’s arm to make it look like the other was holding on. It happens often. Not the follow through though. I’d be ripping my arm out of there if someone was trying to get me pinged for a high tackle. Not keep it there like that.
I’d rather the umpires not reward players who create situations like this due to their own making. See my post in regards to the round 3 incident. Previously being rewarded for this type of shithousery, has led to him continually doing it.

I also blame the AFL/umpires. In round 3 after Joel was caught holding the ball and Henry kicked the goal. Ginnivan went up to Selwood unprovoked and pushed him in the face/chest. Atkins dragged him to the ground and Ginnivan received a free kick and duly converted from 20m out. That sort of behaviour should not be rewarded or encouraged.
I’m with you, I’ve never laid blame on the opposing player. It’s the AFL and the umpires who haven’t adjudicated it appropriately from the get go. Even the whole head high free adjudication has been a shambles but I’m not opening up that can of worms here.
It seems many times on Saturday night, Ginnivan was happy to play the protagonist role and involve himself in afters repeatedly.
I honestly didn’t see that from him. What did he do exactly outside the incident we’re talking about with Tuohy?
For the sake of his mental health, his club should suggest he focus solely on the football and the AFL/umpires should not reward his attempts to provoke reactions from opposition players.
You’re claiming he’s the only player in the entire competition that tries drawing free kicks? Come on.

Better to add a jpeg of a white flag, than surrender in a debate with such a lame response.
lol I've already provided the video evidence. Says a lot about you that you're trying to defend his actions
Please google the definition of consensus.

I'm pretty sure consensus =/= within the Geelong echo chamber. Might just be me.
Geelong echo chamber and practically every neutral who has commented on this issue on BigFooty, reddit, twitter and facebook. Here is just the top comments from the reddit post analysing this issue. Note that they all have different team flairs so it's clearly a Geelong echo chamber

1662347406881.png
1662347451611.png
1662347478245.png
1662347499507.png

I’d rather the umpires not reward players who create situations like this due to their own making. See my post in regards to the round 3 incident. Previously being rewarded for this type of shithousery, has led to him continually doing it.
How many times this year has this crap been paid? There’s been a few. Why is it this particular one with Ginnivan in Round 3 you’re only referencing? Could you name another instance? Feels as though you’re more targeting him than the actual act. Did you have any complaints when Buddy/May did their thing on Friday night that resulted in a Sydney goal?

Back