Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel like Gary Rohan gets a weird amount of attention for someone who Geelong got for pick 61 and is nowhere near a highly paid player.

I feel like Gary Rohan gets a weird amount of attention for someone who Geelong got for pick 61 and is nowhere near a highly paid player.
Was originally Pick 6 though.

But yeah, the way people talk about him you assume he was a regular 20 & 1 kind of player in the H&A season. He really isn't that visible in H&A games either.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Only one of them was a do-or-die. Lets wait til we have the Prelim and GF before deciding whether to close this thread. Still plenty of time for him to s**t the bed.
He can s**t the bed again a couple of times. Wont be the worst finals player of all time. He has had a number of good ones.

there are heaps of players who have played plenty of finals and never had a good one. one in particular stands out from my side and it aint gary rohan. This thread should be about him if anyone. Although im sure there are a few from other sides too.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He can s**t the bed again a couple of times. Wont be the worst finals player of all time. He has had a number of good ones.

there are heaps of players who have played plenty of finals and never had a good one. one in particular stands out from my side and it aint gary rohan. This thread should be about him if anyone. Although im sure there are a few from other sides too.
blicavs?

SuperVolley11

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Only one of them was a do-or-die. Lets wait til we have the Prelim and GF before deciding whether to close this thread. Still plenty of time for him to s**t the bed.
Two have been prelims. One with Sydney. One with us in 2020

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

We get it, you don’t rate mark Blicavs. Numerically his finals record is almost identical to his home and away record in every single department.

And yes that includes the fabled Blicavs brain melt/Clanger that he has from time to time

He still found a way to have some sort of impact on Saturday. He had a couple of very important touches and made one of the most important spoils of the match when the pies were seemingly away down the left wing and he came from nowhere with a desperate leap to effect the spoil and put it out of bounds.

I don’t think his level drops off as a rule in finals nearly as much as you think it does

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Was originally Pick 6 though.

But yeah, the way people talk about him you assume he was a regular 20 & 1 kind of player in the H&A season. He really isn't that visible in H&A games either.

Sure, but that is ancient history. He didn't live up to that, Sydney got rid of him, Geelong got him for cheap.

I just find it strange is all. He had one really really good season at Geelong and since then has done decent throughout the season but nothing crazy. So why this crazy expectation on this one player? There are probably a heap of players who don't perform well in finals. Heck, you could probably throw half of Brisbanes list in that category, and a lot of them would be paid far more than Rohan. I would understand if it was a million dollar player who looked like his moneys worth in the season but s**t the bed in finals, that I understand. But Rohan? Eh.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Cut off for "small" forward should be 185cm.

Gary is a big man.

Breust (184cm) kicked 3 in the 2014 GF.

In that case, Gary Ablett Snr is 185cm tall.

QF : 3.3
SF : 7.7
PF : 8.5
GF : 9.1

27.16 in his first ever finals games / series.

EF : 0.0 (the year he retired for half the season, came back, didn't do much and got reported in the final and suspended.)

QF : 5.1
SF : 4.5
PF : 4.2
GF : 3.1

QF : 6.6
SF : 6.3
PF : 3.0
GF : 1.2

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
In that case, Gary Ablett Snr is 185cm tall.

QF : 3.3
SF : 7.7
PF : 8.5
GF : 9.1

27.16 in his first ever finals games / series.

EF : 0.0 (the year he retired for half the season, came back, didn't do much and got reported in the final and suspended.)

QF : 5.1
SF : 4.5
PF : 4.2
GF : 3.1

QF : 6.6
SF : 6.3
PF : 3.0
GF : 1.2

185 and above (2020s)

GA Sr not a small fwd (in 2022)

Also this has to be adjusted over time as players are much taller now than the 80s. Cut off was 180cm back then. Average height is way up.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't think of too many finals where a small forward tore the game apart.
still remember Brett Allison kicking 7 against us.
Darren Bewick kicked 6 in a 2 goal prelim win
Jeff Farmer kicked 8 in a prelim
More a wingman but Aker's 5 goals in 2003 GF was pretty handy.
IMO Cyril was as on fire as Stuey Dew in 2008 GF.
Charlie Cameron kicked 5 in a prelim against the Cats.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kurt Tippett comes to mind as an absolute liability bar one decent game for Adelaide.

Back