Does Geelong's 'lifestyle' factor give them an unfair advantage for free agency signings?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a "lifestyle" advantage.
It's a cultural advantage.
Geelong are the only side in the AFL to have a whole regional city with 98% of the population Geelong supporters.
What player wouldn't want to be in that environment?

If every player wanted that we’d be getting nominated by all of them as their preferred destination.

But thats why players come to geelong. To escape the bubble of melbourne and go live on the beach. Not to get into a new geelong bubble.
They come for the community based culture.
Something that is not possible from a club based amongst a million diverse supporters/several clubs

They come for the community based culture.
Something that is not possible from a club based amongst a million diverse supporters/several clubs

And equally others go to massive clubs because they like the hype, the attention, the big games, the popularity etc etc.

It’s not like other teams outside of North, maybe St Kilda and the Dogs struggle to attract good established talent a lot of the time

If every player wanted that we’d be getting nominated by all of them as their preferred destination.
Not every player does.
But it's the primary reason why Geelong attract players, and retain players. Also the main reason why their success rate of building younger players up is so good.

And equally others go to massive clubs because they like the hype, the attention, the big games, the popularity etc etc.

It’s not like other teams outside of North, maybe St Kilda and the Dogs struggle to attract good established talent a lot of the time
Yes players go there. But those clubs don't have the sustained success Geelong can maintain.
Those clubs can have periods of success.
Those clubs have to continually fight to stay on top because of the competition and challenges around them. Geelong have a bubble which is a cultural advantage over every other clubs ability to create that.

Last edited:
It's like some people here want Geelong to be punished for being from Geelong. Should just move all 18 teams to one big town in the middle of Australia so they can all suffer in the same miserable heat and lack of nightlife together. No home or away advantages, nor any lifestyle differences. Might finally achieve a truly level playing field.

Yes players go there. But those clubs don't have the sustained success Geelong can maintain.
Those clubs can have periods of success.
Those clubs have to continually fight to stay on top because of the competition and challenges around them. Geelong have a bubble which is a cultural advantage over every other clubs ability to create that.

West Coast is the biggest club in the competition in many ways and has a big city behind it and for the most part has had a similar level of sustained continual success/competitiveness.

At some stage people will stop looking for reasons beyond it just being the result of being a well run and coached club.

West Coast is the biggest club in the competition in many ways and has a big city behind it and for the most part has had a similar level of sustained continual success/competitiveness.

At some stage people will stop looking for reasons beyond it just being the result of being a well run and coached club.
Doesn't your point about West Coast prove my point then?
West Coast are similar to Geelong in having that cultural bubble. But no where near Geelongs position. West Coast is a new club, who were established in a city full of pre-existing diverse supporters. The city is also a lot bigger.
Where as Geelongs side has been around since the start of the VFL, so no one had a chance to support anyone else. So most of Geelong are Geelong supporters.

Geelong supporters should embrace the fact they have a cultural advantage.

Doesn't your point about West Coast prove my point then?
West Coast are similar to Geelong in having that cultural bubble. But no where near Geelongs position. West Coast is a new club, who were established in a city full of pre-existing diverse supporters. The city is also a lot bigger.
Where as Geelongs side has been around since the start of the VFL, so no one had a chance to support anyone else. So most of Geelong are Geelong supporters.

Geelong supporters should embrace the fact they have a cultural advantage.
the question is not do Geelong have a cultural advantage. The question is do Geelong have an unfair advantage? The answer is no

the question is not do Geelong have a cultural advantage. The question is do Geelong have an unfair advantage? The answer is no
Because it wasn't always the case that the Club was able to entice players because of a perceived cultural advantage. The Club worked hard to boost its appeal. Hawthorn did something similar, "the Family club"

True, but that happened well and truly after the Club made a commitment to remain in Geelong and not sell its soul.

"Sell its soul" stop having a lend of yourself. Geelong are unique with KP.

It's fine, I have no issues with it, you should be able to play finals there.

But you act like Melbourne clubs had a choice with ground rationalisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* Virgin Post Alert *

I've been 'incepted' by this idea for a while. I have to preface that GEEL haven't done anything wrong, BUT they have had a significant advantage since free agency began. That's not a question. This is a club that has only missed finals once since 2007 (when they finished a lowly 10th in 2015).

I tend not to swallow the rhetoric around their recruiting team(s) having been amazing over the years.
The fact is, with 50% of the talent coming from Victoria, only one of the ten Victorian clubs can offer country and coastal lifestyles.
Only one Victorian team can get you out of the Melbourne fishbowl, and housing affordability is significantly better down the highway as well.
It's easier to take less money as a player when your money goes a lot further and you get to live in your ideal environment.

They also have a significant 'go-home' advantage that applies just to them and that the metropolitan clubs do not enjoy. 'Go-homers' include:
Ablett Jnr (Geelong Falcons),
Dangerfield (Geelong Falcons),
Dahlhaus (Geelong Falcons),
Higgins (Geelong Falcons),
Rohan (Geelong Falcons),
Cameron (North Ballarat/GWV Rebels, but GEEL is 50 mins closer to his home town of Dartmoor).

It is actionable. The AFL Commission should reduce their TPP (by approximately 9%) with the view to squeezing some talent out, otherwise 'ladder gravity' will never get them. I doubt that the Commission will do anything until after they have managed multiple flags which should be upsetting for the rest of us.

The issues around the shape of GMHBA are nothing. They've got a head start in the list management space the length of the Princes Highway!

* Virgin Post Alert *

I've been 'incepted' by this idea for a while. I have to preface that GEEL haven't done anything wrong, BUT they have had a significant advantage since free agency began. That's not a question. This is a club that has only missed finals once since 2007 (when they finished a lowly 10th in 2015).

I tend not to swallow the rhetoric around their recruiting team(s) having been amazing over the years.
The fact is, with 50% of the talent coming from Victoria, only one of the ten Victorian clubs can offer country and coastal lifestyles.
Only one Victorian team can get you out of the Melbourne fishbowl, and housing affordability is significantly better down the highway as well.
It's easier to take less money as a player when your money goes a lot further and you get to live in your ideal environment.

They also have a significant 'go-home' advantage that applies just to them and that the metropolitan clubs do not enjoy. 'Go-homers' include:
Rohan (Geelong Falcons),
Cameron (North Ballarat/GWV Rebels, but GEEL is 50 mins closer to his home town of Dartmoor).

It is actionable. The AFL Commission should reduce their TPP (by approximately 9%) with the view to squeezing some talent out, otherwise 'ladder gravity' will never get them. I doubt that the Commission will do anything until after they have managed multiple flags which should be upsetting for the rest of us.

The issues around the shape of GMHBA are nothing. They've got a head start in the list management space the length of the Princes Highway!
Dahlhaus
Higgins
Rohan

Sorry, what point are you trying to make?

* Virgin Post Alert *

Rohan (Geelong Falcons),

Your team brought in Prestia and more recently Lynch, and have thrown a fat contract in front of Taranto. Go another 13-odd years before posting again please.

Your team brought in Prestia and more recently Lynch, and have thrown a fat contract in front of Taranto. Go another 13-odd years before posting again please.
Next post won’t need a virgin alert, but…

What do you mean you have been incepted by the idea for a while?

Geelong is the 2nd oldest club in the competition and after 150+ years you are advocating for the club to be penalised financially because it’s not in Melbourne and because there are beaches nearby????

* Virgin Post Alert *

Rohan (Geelong Falcons),

More players come from Melbourne than anywhere else, different people want different things and the idea that a club should be taxed a calculated amount based on nothing more than speculation about motives and benefits is ludicrous.

Good stuff. All very objective from Cats supporters, not defensive / predictable forum behaviour at all. Well done.

The fact is that GEEL have geographical advantages over other Victorian clubs.
GEEL will always be the most attractive Victorian-based club and doubly so for those from the region for obvious reasons (none of those being Chris Scott).

Financial levers would be the best and easiest equalization measure for the AFL Commission.
Think of it like a 'reverse-COLA', which would be quite measurable if the AFL Commission had the want to justify such a position.
If they justified it with SYD, they could justify it for GEEL.

Good luck with the 'Champion Team'.

According to BF, Geelong is a meth infested scum hole.

Therefore, players should be getting danger money in addition to the cap in order to equalise this unfair disadvantage.

Good stuff. All very objective from Cats supporters, not defensive / predictable forum behaviour at all. Well done.
A Richmond supporter posting in a Geelong thread. Always objective, not at all defensive and completely unpredictable forum behaviour.
The fact is that GEEL have geographical advantages over other Victorian clubs.
GEEL will always be the most attractive Victorian-based club and doubly so for those from the region for obvious reasons (none of those being Chris Scott).
Why isn’t living in Richmond not considered a geographical advantage? On the fringe of the city, great bars, restaurants, schools, hospitals, public transport options galore? Playing for Richmond in front of a packed MCG more times than not.

Tim Taranto can buy his inner city pad and have enough left over for the holiday house down the coast (whether that be the Surf Coast or the Mornington Peninsula). Free agents tend to earn more than the average AFL listed player. Enjoyed the Chris Scott reference - your true colours already seeping through.
Financial levers would be the best and easiest equalization measure for the AFL Commission.
Think of it like a 'reverse-COLA', which would be quite measurable if the AFL Commission had the want to justify such a position.
If they justified it with SYD, they could justify it for GEEL.
Or Richmond. For the reasons listed above no?
Good luck with the 'Champion Team'.
Yep. Whatever that means.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back