Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 89 36.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Highly exciting game, great pace and pressure. Thing is both sides were panicky and lacked composure under the pressure. Decision making was often poor. Geelong looked like their normal self in finals and were fortunate to be playing Collingwood rather than Melbourne or Sydney, who were the 2 best sides of week 1, even in defeat for Melbourne. Both much better under the same pace and pressure. Individuals got them over the line as well as being very well drilled defending their lead late. Defence was excellent in the last 15 minutes.

Did make for the most exciting final imaginable though.

Highly exciting game, great pace and pressure. Thing is both sides were panicky and lacked composure under the pressure. Decision making was often poor. Geelong looked like their normal self in finals and were fortunate to be playing Collingwood rather than Melbourne or Sydney, who were the 2 best sides of week 1, even in defeat for Melbourne. Both much better under the same pace and pressure. Individuals got them over the line as well as being very well drilled defending their lead late. Defence was excellent in the last 15 minutes.

Did make for the most exciting final imaginable though.
Thought the same, Geelong were sh*tting the bed, but lucky to be playing Collingwood.

You’re talking the end result then. Whether it’s just a free or a double goal isn’t my point - that’s for another argument all together. The umps are adjudicating to the rules of the game where they either pay the free at the centre of the field or closer, whichever is a greater advantage to the recipient of the free. I don’t see an issue with it though tbh as long as the umps aren’t missing any illegal initial contact then paying a free for a subsequent reaction to it.

Ie. if you’re shoved by player A and he does it high around the neck, and you respond by dropping him - not fair that they receive the free kick because the ump missed the first one.

What I’m saying though is it’s unfair to target a player AFTER by chokeholding them. Remonstrate if you must then and there and risk the wrath of the umpires, or clean them up fairly next contest.

The Cats supporter above is claiming Ginnivan deserved it for initiating the hold first - he’s saying Ginnivan deserves to be grabbed around the neck for trying to draw the free. I disagree with that. Again, if it’s a one-off, you move on, but he’s copped it three times this year.
Yeah, I’ve watched again and although the angle isn’t great and pans away, it looks more like Ginnivan holds Tuohy’s arm in an attempt to milk a free and also attempts some sort of judo throw move to make Tuohy appear to be tackling him high. I don’t see any prolonged choke in the replay, just a bit of a grapple, then Tuohy trying to get away and Jack continuing.

Just from the first quarter, I did see when Stengle ran Quaynor down for one of the few HTB calls in the entire game, Jack beelined for the loose ball and stood over it. Why? Given that Stengle was within range, it seemed odd. It’s normally a ploy to stop team’s playing on, but also seemed like Jack wanted to be involved in the game and just generally be a pest to the retrieving Geelong player.

Later that quarter after Rohan wraps up Noble in a tackle, Jack flies over to tackle Rohan before a ball up can even be called and a nanosecond later is reefing and pulling at Rohan’s arm and jersey to get him off Noble who had zero issue with the tackle. Compare his actions to those of Moore and Noble earlier when Hawkins wrapped up Quaynor and were able to get to Quaynor and get him up without any shithousery. Same with Atkins helping Selwood up a few minutes later after being buried by Crisp. Go get your teammate back up without the shithousery. Pretty simple.

Now I understand Jack plays a low possession game, but it seems like he’s looking for unnecessary ways to impart his influence on the game. To me, it seems logical that those unnecessary ways are probably why you claim he’s been roughly targeted three times this year.

Now, I don’t want to make any assumptions about his role at Collingwood, but it seems given his confident persona that he is either willing and able to play the protagonist role off his own steam or if Collingwood aren’t actively encouraging it, they aren’t coaching it out of him either.

My suggestion would be before he asks for protection or help from the AFL/Umpiring department, Collingwood and Jack help themselves by eliminating the shithousery. Do that and given the AFL world is pretty fluid, it won’t be long before Jack is getting frees and protection that he is rightfully entitled to like any other player.

The second video tells it all.

Monster muscles Zac Guthrie launched him into outer space with a couple of fingers. In a game where basically no free kicks were paid for anything paying that would've been terrible.

Do we mention the shove in the back Hawkins got from Cox in a ruck contest near the same spot that had about 50x the force behind it? Or that renowned thug Isaac Smith giving away a reversal with one of the softest "bumps" you'll ever see? No that doesn't fit the hard done by pies narrative.

Cats supporters have come out in force today.

Since Wojcinski loves using examples off social media to justify the general consensus, I advise you guys to revisit the posts during the game and see what neutral supporters thought and which side was getting an armchair ride from the umpires.

I’ve tried to avoid using umps as an excuse for the Cats winning but it’s now hilarious how all the Cats supporters now also think there was nothing the umps got wrong in Geelong’s favour.

I usually get an idea when there are neutrals who hate Collingwood coming in and saying we’re getting reamed. That’s generally a fairly good indication.

Since Wojcinski loves using examples off social media to justify the general consensus, I advise you guys to revisit the posts during the game and see what neutral supporters thought and which side was getting an armchair ride from the umpires.

I’ve tried to avoid using umps as an excuse for the Cats winning but it’s now hilarious how all the Cats supporters now also think there was nothing the umps got wrong in Geelong’s favour.

I usually get an idea when there are neutrals who hate Collingwood coming in and saying we’re getting reamed. That’s generally a fairly good indication.
Why bother? They won. We lost. On to next week.

I thought HTB was near non-existent for both teams on Saturday night. However, this is modern footy and has been for the last 6-7 years.

Geelong have been one of the slowest teams to actually clue on to the tactic of dropping, illegally disposing of the ball and pushing it forward.

From 2017-19, no team was caught HTB more than Geelong. Our players attempted to get their arms up and legally handball, which was essentially a cue for umps to pay HTB if the disposal wasn’t legal. Meanwhile, the teams with the greatest success in this period were flinging it out at will; Bulldogs, Tigers and now later Melbourne.

What I found laughable though is the apparent short memories these people saying we got a ride have. In 2017 QF we laid 94 tackles versus Richmond for 4 HTB tackles. And this same mob and others now want to reward the tackler, when we are successfully using the tactic they and other teams created. Honestly, the hypocrisy would be funny if these blokes weren’t serious. It’s basically change the rules or enforce certain ones to make sure Geelong lose, then they’d be happy.

My thoughts on the game were that Ginnivan should have received a push in the back free. The holding the ball rule was barely there all game. You can watch the clip that Kane Cornes used on the AFL website ‘The round so far’ to show the pressure and to my eyes there are two pretty solid cases for HTB against Collingwood that are let go. And likewise I’m sure there were plenty that Pies fans thought were there too. We laid 70 tackles to your 85 for scant reward too.

At the end of the day, we were lucky to get through a pretty punishing test of pressure by Collingwood who were awesome. Fortunately we just made a few less mistakes when it mattered. Take the final goal where Stewart’s kick is about 3-4cm off flying over Guthrie’s head and his play on almost sells Duncan into trouble and we turn it over the middle and a likely Collingwood score. Fortunately we clear the congestion and players work hard the other way to get the sealer. It was fine margins all night and at the beginning of that play what looks like a pretty clear one handed handball by McCreery is called play on. It was one of those games.

And I should add that willingness to risk it through the centre and turn it over in those final minutes up against some pretty ferocious pressure is not something we have been coached or instructed to do for many of our disappointing finals campaigns in the last few years. So while it is refreshing to see, it also makes me wonder whether our gameplan and style will have squandered the prime years of Danger, Hawkins, to a lesser extent Selwood and others, particularly if we don’t win the flag this year.

Our previous possession/control and mark based football style essentially avoids pressure, which we have seen fail time after time come finals. Because in finals it is effectively impossible to avoid pressure if your opponent dials it up like the Pies did on Saturday. So, while stoked to have got through the test, albeit barely, the Dees/Lions are going to bring similar levels of heat.

Last edited:
Still not coping well with the loss I take it?

8dcf6800-2dd0-436d-84e3-c5fa261a23c3
Never had so many neutrals and non-pie mates message me after the game saying the umps won the game for Geelong, and that’s saying something. Good on the cats though for getting lucky, level with 90 seconds to go it basically could have gone either way. I do enjoy the continuous touting and chest pumping of Geelong fans claiming to be the best there is, I for one ain’t buying it. We all know Geelongs home ground advantage and easier H&A draw artificially bumps them 3-4 rungs up the ladder every year. And all you cat boys, throw your best shot at me, zero *s given. You didn’t get found out this game, so get those hopes sky high, get ya little cat flags out, get pumped - so the Dees can knock you back to reality in 2 weeks where you belong.

Not sure why you're tagging me because I've haven't said s**t about the umpiring aside from the Ginnivan staging issue.

Never had so many neutrals and non-pie mates message me after the game saying the umps won the game for Geelong, and that’s saying something. Good on the cats though for getting lucky, level with 90 seconds to go it basically could have gone either way. I do enjoy the continuous touting and chest pumping of Geelong fans claiming to be the best there is, I for one ain’t buying it. We all know Geelongs home ground advantage and easier H&A draw artificially bumps them 3-4 rungs up the ladder every year. And all you cat boys, throw your best shot at me, zero *s given. You didn’t get found out this game, so get those hopes sky high, get ya little cat flags out, get pumped - so the Dees can knock you back to reality in 2 weeks where you belong.
* me that's a massive melt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me that's a massive melt
Not at all. My mates hate the pies more than most people trust me, I’m merely sharing their words, not mine. I’ll let you make your own determination.

I was at the game so without seeing a lot of vision I’m not commenting on the umpiring either way. I’m also not saying there weren’t some frees for the cats missed either as I’m sure there was. For obvious reasons I’ve chosen not to crack open the popcorn and watch the replay on Kayo to watch a bit closer.

Always good to reflect on a match though. I’m pretty confident going into the Freo match, so not melting by any means, I should get to see at least 3 finals this year, and who knows, might get another crack at the Cats or Dees in 3 weeks, might not.🤷🏼‍♂️

Not sure why you're tagging me because I've haven't said s**t about the umpiring aside from the Ginnivan staging issue.
Apologies, I should’ve explained it better.

You were using commentary off social media around Ginnivan to validate your point.

I was responding back that if you look at neutral posters on here during game time, ALOT of commentary from non Cats/Pies supporters around the Cats getting an armchair ride from the umps and Pies being reamed by the umps.

At the end of the day, you guys won, so it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Gary-Rohan-Geelong-1200x675.jpg

Lock your girlfriends up boys, Rohan’s up and about in a finals series. Never thought I’d say that, ever. Let’s see if he can back it up. 👌
Let's see indeed. We've got a week to sit back and relax - more pressingly let's see if the Pies can fire a shot this finals series. You were so confident you'd roll us pre-game, a straight-sets exit would be a tad embarrassing after all that carry on I imagine.

Just going through some of the posts in the latter part of the game, gotta give a shoutout to this Vikingnz bloke. Poor fella fresh from his Tiggies getting embarrassed by Brisbane, threw his lot in with the Pies and came up short again. Hope you're doing better now, that was pages and pages of non-stop tears and whining. Great reading.

Just going through some of the posts in the latter part of the game, gotta give a shoutout to this Vikingnz bloke. Poor fella fresh from his Tiggies getting embarrassed by Brisbane, threw his lot in with the Pies and came up short again. Hope you're doing better now, that was pages and pages of non-stop tears and whining. Great reading.

fishing-hooks-500x500.jpg

Back