Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the bombers are content with keeping this years first, getting Perkins and are happy with how their season is going. Their midfield is now chockers - Parish McGrath Merrett Shiel Caldwell Langford. I don’t think any of them are now regretting the decision.
Nah Essendon has been one of the worst clearances sides in the comp this year.

Mcgrath, Merrett, Shiel etc are all strong offensively but their opponents will have just as much influence if not more.

Dunkley would transform Essendon's midfield by being their best midfielder in the area where they're the weakest.

Nah Essendon has been one of the worst clearances sides in the comp this year.

Mcgrath, Merrett, Shiel etc are all strong offensively but their opponents will have just as much influence if not more.

Dunkley would transform Essendon's midfield by being their best midfielder in the area where they're the weakest.

What about Langford and Parish? Is McGrath really that good offensively? They still need to get Caldwell in there too.

You don't know much about football.

If the Bombers were choosing between their pick this year and Dunkley right now, they'd take Dunkley in a heartbeat.

yeah I’d probably agree with that. Personally for me though I think it would be the wrong move. Even if we got Dunkley this year we wouldn’t be challenging for the flag anyway.

im not on board With trading in top end talent. You simply need to giveup too much. Dunkley as an example was going to cost 2 first round picks and $800k a year. I’d much rather bring in talent through the draft and target top end talent through free agency.

in the context of dunkley I’d be waiting another year and have a crack at either him or other top end talent through FA rather than trade away top draft picks.

develop through the draft and overpay for 1 or 2 players through FA when you’re ready would be by strategy

yeah I’d probably agree with that. Personally for me though I think it would be the wrong move. Even if we got Dunkley this year we wouldn’t be challenging for the flag anyway.

im not on board With trading in top end talent. You simply need to giveup too much. Dunkley as an example was going to cost 2 first round picks and $800k a year. I’d much rather bring in talent through the draft and target top end talent through free agency.

in the context of dunkley I’d be waiting another year and have a crack at either him or other top end talent through FA rather than trade away top draft picks.

develop through the draft and overpay for 1 or 2 players through FA when you’re ready would be by strategy
Were Hawthorn wrong to trade pick 15 for Tom Mitchell at the end of their glory era?

Were Hawthorn wrong to trade pick 15 for Tom Mitchell at the end of their glory era?
No. A single pick for a young player is fine.

But the more holes you have, the less you can afford to spend multiple picks on a single player. So the O'Meara trade the same year was a bad one. If they didn't do that they'd have had an additional first and 2 early seconds to take to the draft to try and fill holes.

No. A single pick for a young player is fine.

But the more holes you have, the less you can afford to spend multiple picks on a single player. So the O'Meara trade the same year was a bad one. If they didn't do that they'd have had an additional first and 2 early seconds to take to the draft to try and fill holes.
Ok, but why bother targeting Dunkley at all then? Especially that year. Dodoro came out and said Essendon's 2021 pick was totally off the table, the Bulldogs had no use for 2020 picks and Dunkley had 2 years on his deal. Talk about a redundant trade saga.

Ok, but why bother targeting Dunkley at all then? Especially that year. Dodoro came out and said Essendon's 2021 pick was totally off the table, the Bulldogs had no use for 2020 picks and Dunkley had 2 years on his deal. Talk about a redundant trade saga.

lots of assumptions in this post.
1 this persons option is not bombers. He’s just a fan (I agree with them FYI)

2 our list is in a different spot then we expected. Most would have thought we were bottom 3.

As for your question, you target Dunkley because he is 24, a superstar and exactly what we needed and agreed to
Come.

We also lresented a very good offer.

there were multiple teams trying to get essendons picks last year. Essendon even tried to involve Collingwood (who were actively trying to give up a future first ad they have a fs).

take the goggles off a bit buddy. You kept you boy you won.

Essendon tried very hard to get him and we are all talking about it again :)

Not redundant at all

lots of assumptions in this post.
1 this persons option is not bombers. He’s just a fan (I agree with them FYI)

2 our list is in a different spot then we expected. Most would have thought we were bottom 3.

As for your question, you target Dunkley because he is 24, a superstar and exactly what we needed and agreed to
Come.

We also lresented a very good offer.

there were multiple teams trying to get essendons picks last year. Essendon even tried to involve Collingwood (who were actively trying to give up a future first ad they have a fs).

take the goggles off a bit buddy. You kept you boy you won.

Essendon tried very hard to get him and we are all talking about it again :)

Not redundant at all
If your club is going to target a player like Josh Dunkley, in a year where the Bulldogs were taking Ugle-Hagan at pick 1, then you should've been ready to put your 2021 first rounder on the table.

Dodoro refused, insisted the future first was more valuable than Dunkey, and as a result, the negotiations were a complete waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your club is going to target a player like Josh Dunkley, in a year where the Bulldogs were taking Ugle-Hagan at pick 1, then you should've been ready to put your 2021 first rounder on the table.

Dodoro refused, insisted the future first was more valuable than Dunkey, and as a result, the negotiations were a complete waste of time.

by that logic any time you don’t get your way it’s a waist of time

lol

I have a feeling this conversation is going to be a biiiig waist of time.

Well, this is totally my speculation, but...

Because we probably weren't. Most teams are setting up the 'chase' years out from when their target comes out of contract. I suspect we had no idea that Dunkley would say he wants to leave last year. Dunkley comes out of contract the year we've got two promising father/son options (2xDaveys), who've been elite at junior footy for years. Trading our first pick in 2022 makes a lot of sense. We were probably laying the groundwork to be trading for him then.

And the initial word from the 'in the knows' around the EFC boards was that the Bulldogs would accept a decent price. That seemed to change, with the asking price increasing over trade week. Whether because they never planned to deal, the Treloar deal changed their view, the ITK's were full of it, who knows.

Well, this is totally my speculation, but...

Because we probably weren't. Most teams are setting up the 'chase' years out from when their target comes out of contract. I suspect we had no idea that Dunkley would say he wants to leave last year. Dunkley comes out of contract the year we've got two promising father/son options (2xDaveys), who've been elite at junior footy for years. Trading our first pick in 2022 makes a lot of sense. We were probably laying the groundwork to be trading for him then.

And the initial word from the 'in the knows' around the EFC boards was that the Bulldogs would accept a decent price. That seemed to change, with the asking price increasing over trade week. Whether because they never planned to deal, the Treloar deal changed their view, the ITK's were full of it, who knows.
ITKs being full of it is a pretty common theme on every board.

Top 10 midfielders this year are probably:

1. Bontempelli
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Oliver
5. Parish
6. Cunnington
7. Liberatore
8. Macrae
9. Walsh
10. Miller

Josh Dunkley is one of the very few players who you can be genuinely confident about breaking into this list if not top 5 assuming injury free.

I know I'd prefer Dunkley over Nick Daicos (Pick 1) + future 1st round.

1. Bontempelli
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Oliver
5. Parish
6. Cunnington
7. Liberatore
8. Macrae
9. Walsh
10. Miller

Josh Dunkley is one of the very few players who you can be genuinely confident about breaking into this list if not top 5 assuming injury free.

If he didn't do his shoulder he would have been somewhere on that list, was tracking beautifully.

If he didn't do his shoulder he would have been somewhere on that list, was tracking beautifully.

His outside ability isn't as strong as Macrae/Miller/Walsh, he's not versatile up forward like Bont/Petracca/Danger

But I think he's the best pure inside midfielder in the comp alongside Oliver, Steele, Parish, Cunnington, Libba.

Getting Dunkley even for 2x picks in the 5-10 range was a bargain for Essendon. If they somehow miss out on Dunkley again then that's a HUGE blunder.

1. Bontempelli
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Oliver
5. Parish
6. Cunnington
7. Liberatore
8. Macrae
9. Walsh
10. Miller

No Merrett in the top 10? I’d move Walsh up as well.

Getting Dunkley even for 2x picks in the 5-10 range was a bargain for Essendon.
I don’t think so and neither did Essendon.

Getting Dunkley even for 2x picks in the 5-10 range was a bargain for Essendon. If they somehow miss out on Dunkley again then that's a HUGE blunder.

l o ******* l

no player in history has ever gone for 2 x top 10 picks (with nothing back) who has never even been an AA at minimum.

That is a completely ludicrous trade.

1. Bontempelli
2. Petracca
3. Steele
4. Oliver
5. Parish
6. Cunnington
7. Liberatore
8. Macrae
9. Walsh
10. Miller

How about now?

l o ******* l

no player in history has ever gone for 2 x top 10 picks (with nothing back) who has never even been an AA at minimum.

That is a completely ludicrous trade.
And when/if the current Dunkley trade goes through, we will see his true value this whole time.

The argument he was contracted so he "worth" more is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back