I'd like to complain about the umpires...

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
There is your problem. Lying around the house does anyone's head in. Get a lawnmower, preferably with a drink holder. If you don't have a lawn getbone of those plastic versions & set the mower up high. It helps with that frustration. Personally I am lying around a pool but respect you may not have that option.

It happened in cricket. Just saying.
Good advice. i converted my lawnmower to a weedcutter...but i have to dose it with "start ya bastard" to get it started. I was thinking of those cricketers in my last post. Maybe we should crowdfund a bribery enterprise with this week's umpires.....

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

I listened to all of that as i had brekky. Like umpiring decisions in general, I agreed with 90% of it. The problem is always in that 10% when it is contentious. Champion data supposedly said that there was an increase in holding the balls decisions with the increased tackling. But I might add my own statistic. There were 27 free kicks on saturday and 44 when we last played geelong....supposedly in less pressure situations.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I listened to all of that as i had brekky. Like umpiring decisions in general, I agreed with 90% of it. The problem is always in that 10% when it is contentious. Champion data supposedly said that there was an increase in holding the balls decisions with the increased tackling. But I might add my own statistic. There were 27 free kicks on saturday and 44 when we last played geelong....supposedly in less pressure situations.
Gerard got that one in early didn't he?
Critical Thinking begged the question what about individual games?
I love listening to Ray though. I'd prefer him to be in the commentary box than just about any special comments person. He gives value.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gerard got that one in early didn't he?
Critical Thinking begged the question what about individual games?
I love listening to Ray though. I'd prefer him to be in the commentary box than just about any special comments person. He gives value.

as he says, he loves being a part of the game.

and as an update, I would like to say that I would still like to complain about the umpires and I will be doing that again during and after the match next weekend....

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you get the impression that Ray isn't comfortable with the deliberate out-of-bounds direction?

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm just bloody well tired of "free goals"
If they are going to let Umpires make crack brain decisions, then they need to reduce the penalty.
Change 50 Meters to 25 or 15. (I prefer 25)
A free kick in the forward 50 is essentially a goal 90%+ of the time.
To let games be decided by foolish umpiring decisions like I've seen in that Geelong V Collingwood game is insane.
If they weren't gifted 2 free goals, it was our game tbh.

HappyRed

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, not only does the AFL have different rules for different players, the rules can also change based on the game's quarter and if its a final or not.

Is there any professional sport in the world that does this? 😂
Yes it happens in NBA constantly. Refs treat some players completely different to others, like James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo etc
If you even breath on these players. You will be watching them shoot free throws.

It's sad that this s**t has plagued our game as well.

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Digger has always said that Collingwood , get crucified every match , by the umps

6rea6l.md.jpg

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

He said prior on stiff arm but not if they use a bumper bar action they see that as just bracing. Which is ridiculous as bigger stronger players can abuse that interpretation and it can be just as hard to tackle them.
Both are priors imo.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He said prior on stiff arm but not if they use a bumper bar action they see that as just bracing. Which is ridiculous as bigger stronger players can abuse that interpretation and it can be just as hard to tackle them.
Both are priors imo.

The problem is not the explanation of the broader rule. It's the interpretation at critical moments....and anything specific that Ray was addressing could be interpreted as the umpire did, or could be interpreted another way. The main thing is consistency, both within the game and season and that's hard to do.

My personal gripes include players lying on top of another player and keeping the ball in, and getting holding the ball. This interpretation goes against what the raking the ball in free kick is supposed to stop.

Players who push other players in the back not getting free kicked. Protecting space is obviously different as far as i'm concerned.

I'd also like to see a player who goes for a contested ball to be given more time than a player who is handballed a ball by a team mate - broadly speaking "team holiding the ball". Buckley has spoken to support it and I agree.

currently players who hold on to the ball when tackled are not free kicked, but players who make an effort to get rid of it but fail to do so properly are free kicked. This to me seems unaustralian.

I think the interpretations of the rules need to be rethought to give the ball player a chance, and the guy in front an advantage, and a guy who is making the play an advantage. If we are diminishing the importance of winning contested ball then it goes against one of the fundamentals of the game.

Only losers complain about or blame the umpires.
Just kick more goals than the opposition, apply pressure, win contested ball, use it efficiently inside 50, run, run, run.
If we don’t do that…we lose…it’s our fault, not the umpires.
Unless of course the bloody scumps cheat again.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Only losers complain about or blame the umpires.
Just kick more goals than the opposition, apply pressure, win contested ball, use it efficiently inside 50, run, run, run.
If we don’t do that…we lose…it’s our fault, not the umpires.
Unless of course the bloody scumps cheat again.

while this new age "dont complain about the umpires" thing seems to be in vague, I have been blaming the umpires for losses for decades.... there are key umpiring decisions in the past that might have given us a premiership and certainly major wins and I am programmed to blame the umpires for the resultant losses. It's just the way it is. Last week after the loss I said that I would like to complain about the umpires and I still want to complain but the need lessens with the passage of time....of course, we might lose today and that will put it into overdrive again. No amount of policy statements from the AFL is going to stop that...

Back